OOC: PrePlay discussion

He said balance issues. I mentioned multiple castings of it, and haven't heard back.

Opening a pit doesn't need to deal with magic resistance.

Pretty sure its called cleansing. Hits a whole room. Very important when demons are invisible.

To gain power. It mentions elsewhere that aspects can be created or abandoned at will.

Why? They'll be able to see her as an aspect. No need to hide when you're a god. What could they even do? Stab her?

The Virtue (which is what she should have taken, that gives her the trait) does mention rolls. Essential traits, as detailed there is evocative of personality traits or characteristic scores. So trying to get Eve out of the lab, or her scriptorium, if you prefer, could be very difficult. Essential Traits are personality traits, but are unchanging, meaning they should apply to circumstances that would cause her to change her behavior, or act in another way. Basically, such a trait could be used against an SG as a trump card on a story flaw, to get her out of writing a book at a particular time. I'd be fine with that kind of interpretation. And I'd even be fine with allowing a bonus on her obsession with immortality. But not every single circumstance where she writes a book. And heaven forbid you think it should go on top of Book Learner, too. Because that's well beyond the pale.

Writing books is a bit much, and I notice that there's ample leeway that you could use to apply it to reading books. And, I would give her a bonus to looking something up in a libary as an int roll. Her bookish nature would be perfectly suited to something like you describe.
Your interpretation of the virtue is pretty broad, and assumes things that the rest of the troupe might find a wee bit overpowering.

The Essential Virtues (RoP:M pg 43) describes exactly what JL said. The essential Trait is something for beings with a Magical might score. You essential virtues can not be influenced by magic as it is like an essential trait but it is not a trait but a virtue.

It does say rolls so it would not add to book quality or level.

Because I'm still thinking about it. I just have a feeling that it would not work like you think. In my mind, each "boot" would require it's own mental command on what to do as they are each different spells. I would require finesse rolls to move without say one leg going and the other one rising.

Like I said, the description is on page 54. It does not say rolls. By RAW can add to things other than rolls. For example pg 103 of Cradle and Crescent. You see bloodthirsty getting added into the damage total. Despite the lack of any strength rolls. If you want to change RAW, fine. But RAW doesn't make it exclusive to rolls.

No. No characteristic is involved in there. She would have an extra 6 comm when reading a book though. For say glossing.

Then she'll just get a snowboard type contraption and look silly.

I couldn't pursue something I felt was wrong earlier, so I'm coming back around to it now.

These spirits can't mimic spont casting in these areas. They specifically cast the spell that they are designed to replicate. The spell, in it's generic form is "Invoke the Spirit of (SPELL)." From the text of the spell:

As far as I can tell, Eve has one of these for ReTe and one of these for CrTe, but she hasn't designed the spirit, nor specified the spell that it is to perform. Keep in mind that it takes time to summon the spirit, and then time for the spirit to be instructed, and then time for the spirit to cast the spell.
Now, the spell I think you do want is Invoke the Spirit of (Form), which will give you the flexibility of spontaneous casting along an entire Form. It also appears from reading that it's like so: Round 1 summon, Round 2 instruct, Round 3 spirit casts and then departs.

Like I said, on page 43 is the virtue you must take to gain something like an essential trait. Essential traits are for beings with a might score. It says that in the 1st paragraph of 54. You need to take the virtue which is on pg 43 which effects rolls that work on your essential nature. The example in Cradle and Crescent is a magical jinn. It operates under different rules.

Damage is a derived total. It's determined by Attack Advantage, which is the product of a roll (two, really, if you count the defender's roll). The roll is there, but it comes earlier in the process, and it does have an impact on the final result, since damage is only calculated if there is an Attack Advantage. So, it's a bit of a stretch to use this as your example, since there are absolutely zero rolls involved in writing, and there's never a chance of spectacular failure or success with writing. Whereas, with combat, I've seen defense botches change the course of battle in an instant, a defense total of 0 is a real killer.

So, if we're going to run into Zawba'a, I could see letting the +3 Bloodthirsty be instead transferred to +3 Berserk, and have it increase the attack roll, which means it is more likely to do damage, period, rather than it being more likely to do damage, if it managed to hit (have an Attack Advantage).

It doesn't say "something like an essential trait" the virtue says

. No "like" or "something like". Its just a flat "essential trait". Which also happens to be generally beneficial. Also see in the description of essential traits

If you don't want me to have essential traits I'll pump com to +5 and get basically the same thing.

Its the spell that allows mimicking of spont casting. Not a different spell.

Did you?
Do you know what Personality Traits are?
Do you know that if personality traits are rolled, they just add the bonus/penalty to the roll and nothing else? Note, I said rolled.
Do you know that sometimes an SG can ask a character to roll against a personality trait to determine whether he can really take the action he desires. A character with Brave -3 running up to the dragon is really not likely. And a player intending him to take that action should have to roll against it.
Did you know that Essential Traits are like Personality Traits, in that they are essentially permanent, and unwavering, and if magic is involved in trying to overcome the trait it just fails? So a different character with a Brave +3 is overcome with Mentem magics designed to make him run away. He brushes it off and keeps going, to the horror of the opposing magus.

Again, did you read the section on Essential Traits, as you've now asked me, and jebrick?
To wit:

While that doesn't necessarily preclude characters without Might taking an Essential Trait (that's kind of what I think the Virtue is for) it does suggest it. The Virtue should be at least representative of some experience in Eve's back story that is consistent with the trait she acquired. Even ignoring the huge bonus you've ascribed to it, which I don't think is reasonable or appropriate.

And, all that aside, same as I've said before. I am trying to help you. Qcipher and I have played with jebrick, and we share some of the same sensibilities. Getting everyone on the same page now is important.
At the very least, you have zero consensus with your interpretation, since jebrick and I see the Essential Trait nearly the same way. I suggest correcting the books and moving on. You might have some traction with my alternative, but your combative and condescending questioning of whether jebrick or I have actually read the portions we're quoting back to you is not helping your position.

Earlier, I might have supported adjusting the trait and having the bonus apply to some books that were consistent with her Mystery Cult or immortality suggestion, but I'm officially withdrawing that support now. That would have been thematically cool and consistent with an evolving character concept. Now, I'm just annoyed and done.

You argued that my spell was incomplete when it was.

My spell contains every bit of information needed. If you are going to say I haven't done something when I have? I'm gonna get annoyed. If you think there should be a house rule okay. Say that. Don't say I got the rules wrong, when I have a spell straight from RAW.

You seem to want to ignore the part about it effecting a roll. And I am happy to give you a +6 to your communication on any roll involving a book even though bookish could be argued as to do less with writing than with reading. It does not add ro the level or quality of a book you have written. it does not add to copying a book. It does not add to xp gained when reading a book.

See, I don't think that is a part. I think the virtue actually grants a full-fledged essential trait. If you don't think I should get a full-fledged essential trait out of the deal I'll switch the virtue points around. Again she'll still be a very good writer. Q14. But she'll also suddenly be a much better debater, and teacher, and this that and the other thing.

Invoke the Spirit of (Form) is just that. You can, perhaps, see my not understanding that you intended these to be Invoke the Spirit of (Form) when you name tham Invoke the Spirit of CrTe-30, ReTe-30, which suggests a specific effect. So now, me being the helpful sort of person I am, I offer a suggestion. If you want Invoke the Spirit of (Form), you can get 30 levels of spells back by fixing the name, because you're not wanting to create a specific 30th level CrTe or ReTe effect, are you?

I do have a question, though. How did you ever manage to call these spirits in the first place? Her CS is what, 31? I know there's the penetration AC bonus for knowing the name of the spirit, but still, all that leaves you a fair bit short of having called it. Keep in mind that the spirit's might is 30, but it's going to be residing in the magic realm, and will have more than +10 increases to its MR because its there.

Good question: VIS! LOTS OF VIS! She has like 40 to spend. 30 CT +20 vis. Plus her penetration score, plus her magic aura, plus the simple die. That should give her a sufficient penetration. I should probably put that in. I managed to spend every single pawn of the vis I got in CC for free. And no idea what she did with the Vis from her personal vis source.

Also pretty sure the spirits of form are specific to a technique form combo. I'd need to recheck the book to be sure...

Yes, they are. One spell per TeFo per level.

Indeed, the Invoke the Spirit of (Form) are not limited to a TeFo combination. They are either specific to a specific spell, or specifc to a Form.
So, a Spirit of Terram 30th level, can do any 15th level Terram effect. It can go up, as the aura goes up, but to get to a 20th level effect, it has to be in a 10th magnitude magical Aura. And of course, it does less in divine and infernal auras. Penetration is based on the spirit's casting total (might +/- aura modifier) - spell level.

And I'd like to see that roll when you're burning 15 pawns of vis to be sure you can invoke the spirit...

So, I was smoking something and didn't read the spell correctly...

You and Halancar are correct. The names are confusing, with respect to the powers granted, and I finally found it in the text of the spell where it describes MuCo(An) and needing requisites, etc.

Still are pretty limited to the range of effects that you can work, 15th level Creo/Rego Terram effects.

Can we have different names, too please?

You're mixing. Invoke the Spirit of (Spell) is specific to a spell, and Invoke the Spirit of (Form) is specific to a Te+Fo combination.

Note the plural on Arts.