PDFs Galore

I just wanted to highlight news that more PDFs are coming, and the explanation why, given by John Nephew:

and in response to a question on whether the core book will be released as a pdf:

The latest book to be released as PDF is Magi of Hermes - so they seem not very far off from that "one year after publication" policy.

I think that's great news! I've been clamoring for more PDF content for a while. Now I've semi-officially ditched my dead-tree library and am moving to PDF-only, so that's even more true. Ironically, I now am also in a bit of an economic downturn so I may not be buying as many and as soon as I'd want to - but still, I'll personally pick up them all eventually :smiley: (I already have a few)

Huzzah!

I seem to gobble up these morsels as soon as they become available...

<ctl+f> ftw! :smiley:

I have a question, or am perhaps positing a PDF option to spur cash inflow.

Green Ronin does something like this, I'm curious if it makes sense for Atlas Games and the Nephews, Mr. Chart, and so on.

Background:
I always buy the Hardcover of an Ars Magica book.
I would not mind a PDF.
The current price for both, added together, however, is too much for me to indulge in and remain married for long.

Possibility:
Green Ronin's system is to offer the PDF before the book goes to print, perhaps a week before. Often, this catches mistakes, and leads to an improved print product, and the PDF ends up being re-released to those who bought it with corrections made, charts/graphs fixed, etc.

The PDF is offered for $5 if you buy the hardcover as a pre-order through Green Ronin. (I think they're also trying to embrace the Bytes and Mortar initiative, where book pre-orders at a game store can net you a PDF code for $5 as well - I'll be trying that for the first time tomorrow when I go to pick up Cradle and Crescent at the Compleat Strategist)

You get that PDF immediately, and the book when it ships.

Thesis:
I'm thinking others might be inclined to buy into some sort of Book+PDF pre-order situation, that was lower than the current cost of both items. I know John Nephew, when not fighting muncipal corruption, is a savvy businessman, so I am curious how such an approach to combined book+pdf sales might work for the current Atlas business scheme. I would hope it might provide a venue for most cash for the company, though I am unsure what price a PDF would need to be as part of a combined deal to make it work in Atlas' favor.

Vrylakos

That sounds great. It's terrific to see so many PDFs from Atlas lately, and my only "complain" is that paying $45 for a hardcover plus a PDF is a bit too high...

By the way, having the core rules in PDF format is even greater news...