Phantasm and avoiding aging

I know it's gimmicky, but do I read it correctly that an infernalist with Debauchery+Phantasm could turn themselves into a Phantasm each year, for the whole of the year to avoid aging?

And if they had access to the season duration, they could do it just for Winter and avoid non-vitupretation aging?

It's certain that to avoid "natural" aging you need to be protected for the entire year. It's just for "convenience" that characters roll in winter, not because all the aging happens in winter (though it's easily the harshest period in medieval times). So the answer to the second question is a solid no.

As to the first, nothing says that a phantasm does not age. Maybe, if the diabolist transformed itself to something "inherently" unaging (a rock?) then he might avoid aging while transformed, though it's not clear. And I would not allow it: the guidelines seem to indicate that a significant portion of the target's intrinsic nature is retained. Perhaps more importantly, there's another guideline of infernal powers that allows one to avoid aging, Consumption, and in a fashion much more suited to the Infernal: dump the aging onto someone else!

That's not really true, though. There are some aging things that say they need to be active at least half the year. I figured the point was that being down for few days wasn't supposed to prevent an effect that was otherwise active throughout the whole year from working, not that you were supposed to target 183 days. Also, once you get beyond the halfway point, you've got the point of Warping for a continuous effect for the whole year, assuming it's designed for you.

But this is still true:

Interesting. Can you give me a pointer? Noting that they must be "aging things" that
a) impede aging; things that accelerate it can be active for a much shorter time and still have a deleterious effect.
b) are active "half the year", not half the time for the whole year (the question was about a duration shorter than D:Year).

This is the one that immediately springs to mind:
The Endless Summer (RoP:F p.130)

The "avoiding aging" things do vary a little - The regimen bonus in A&A starts after one year of following it, and is lost if you spend a month in a different place or taking a month on a different diet/exercise regime/sleep pattern, or if you suffer any disease or going into Twilight.

The Salutem effects in Hedge Magic require you to be under the effect for the whole year.

The Criamon path of the Body allows you to gain 1 warping a year and avoid aging, but if you are in a Dominion aura of any strength (or infernal aura of strength 3+) for more than (Enigmatic Wisdom+1) days you age that year, even if you regain spiritual nourishment before the winter.

Faerie Weal magic needs to be in effect more than half the year.

RoP:I does not address this, probably because they assume you'd just use Consumption or Ablating if avoiding aging was your focus. Your troupe should choose which of the other "resist aging" effects to follow as the baseline to penalise said character if they stop being a phantasm. Personally I'd be harsh and suggest they have to use the Forsaken duration, and if any point during the year they cease to be Forsaken then they suffer aging. Following the Infernal should not be for the half-hearted.

Thanks for the responses, I erroneously took the text refering to faerie aging, on ROP:F 121 to explain how aging works in general.

"The only circumstances that have last-
ing effects are when the rite involves a natu-
ral (or supernatural) process, such as aging,
healing, or Warping. For example, an effect
that forces a character to age temporarily
subjects that character to the same physical
conditions that winter causes each year, and
if the player fails the roll the character suffers
the natural consequences."

With Phantasms, don't they not age because they have might, and don't have a rule saying they age?

Two further questions, if you'd be so kind as to help.

1: Forsaken duration: Can a character confess and repent only some of their effects?
Or to put it another way, can an infernalist ever use forsaken, and end it, without losing all his powers?

2: Consumption, and to a lesser extent Ablating, seem to allow very easy permanent increases of characteristics.
Ablating seems like you need to eat a powerful enough spirit to gain any real benefit, so it's expensive and mildly dangerous.
Consumption seems like buying a goat and draining stats from it, at touch range, upto say +3, is a level 25 effect, I think. (I mean you'd need to do it three times, as this would only increase/decrease by 1, upto +3/-3)
Which is hard for an individual infernalist to do on the fly, but trivial if he has animals to sacrifice or a few assistants, I think?

Infernal Might doesn't inherently prevent aging. That is written explicitly in RoP:tI.

With regards to 1) I don't know about how it works with the Ars mechanics, but I'm pretty sure theologically that's not how repentance works. If you don't thoroughly repent of all your sins, you're not really sincere enough in your repentance. It should be all or nothing.

with regards to 2) remember targeting an animal with consumption is 1 magnitude higher than affecting a person. So the basic "These shall give their power and strength unto the beast" (which is level 20) needs a person, so it's level 25 to affect an animal and allow you raise your strength by 1 to a maximum of zero. Additional magnitudes are needed to increase the maximum, so you need a 30 for +1, 35 for +2, and 40 for +3. This will require a lot of sacrifices or a large ceremonial team.

Yes, rich and/or popular people can achieve big infernal effects - however, the more victims you buy or cultists you recruit, the more likely it is someone will talk and people will investigate. This is why the stereotype of the evil lord of a remote village doing depraved things holds true - by having absolute control and being remote enough, they can achieve these things with much less risk of discovery, and so survive long enough to reap the Infernal's rewards.

Ok now this is where I get baffled.

The guideline is base level 5, for 1x +0/-1
Add 5 for touch for a lvl of 10 right?

But "These shall give their power and strength unto the beast" is lvl 20, with +2 mags for victim. Which means it can transfer stats from a plant to a person right?
I think that's what +2 mags for victim does.

So if we take the guideline of 5, add +5 for touch, +5 for animal victim, and say 2 mags for a final spell of lvl30 Touch/ 1x +2/-3 (i.e: it increases a stat once, for maximum of +2/-3, with touch range, with an animal victim)

Say a Debauchery of 4, with relevant specialty, and Consumption of 4, with relevant specialty, and a stamina of +2, gives us a base of +12.
Then say we have 2 confidence points to spend, and we either extend the casting, or have a confidence score of 2.
That's gets us to +18, + aura + sacrifice + whatever to dice result is.
Say an aura of 1, and say an animal sacrifice, for another +4, gives us 23

So we should succeed on any result except a 0, where we would test for botch right?

And that's one guy with a reasonable XP spend on skills, but no virtues or assistants, if we have any other help we could get by without the animal sacrifice, instead using a symbolic one.

(Edited: had wrong +/- on base guideline)