Okay. So, let's look at Hiems (from Phoenix/Shores of Albion). He has DEO 10, CT +23, and one level of Mastery (Multi-casting), which allows him to unleash two DEO per turn, with a Penetration of 3(Perdo), or 4.
Against Michael, first round, he rolls a 4 for a CT of 27 in the first volley. His Penetration is 27-10+4=21, easily beating Michael's MR of 10, and erases Michael's Might Pool. Second shot in the first round, he rolls a 1*8 for a CT of 39, and a Penetration of 29. His DEO of 10 reduces Michael's Might Score to 0, and poof.
With the Soak house-rule of Soak = Might÷2 in effect, in the first round Michael has a Soak of 5, so reduces his Might Pool to 5, and his second shot reduces Michael's Might Pool to 0, and a Might Score of 10. So Hiems actually has to cast it again. This time, his first shot rolls a 7, for a CT of 30-10=20, and a Penetration of 24, again blowing past Michael's MR. Michael's Soak of 10÷2=5 absorbs half of the DEO's destruction, and the spell lowers his Might Score to 5. The second shot in the round, Hiems rolls a 3, for a CT of 26, and a Penetration of 20. Michael now has a Might Score of 5÷2=3 (with rounding), so the DEO does 7 points of might-stripping to him; he only has 5 Might left, so he's destroyed.
With the Might Soak, it took two turns (and four shots) to destroy Michael instead of one.
Nestor, from A New Home, has DEO 15 with no Mastery. CT +19 and Penetration 0. So:
- Round 1: Die roll of 3 gives him a CT 22 and Penetration 7, which doesn't get past Michael's MR.
- Round 2: Die roll of 9 gives him a CT 28 and Penetration 13, which destroys Michael's Might Pool and reduces his Might to 5.
- Round 3: Die roll of 1*5 gives him a CT 29 and Penetration 14, which destroys Michael's Might Score.
With the Might÷2 Soak rule, it goes something like:
- Round 1: Nestor's DEO still doesn't penetrate.
- Round 2: Michael has a Might Soak of 5, which reduces the DEO to basically 10, so Michael's Might Pool is reduced to 0, but his Might Score is untouched.
- Round 3: Michael's Might Score is destroyed by Nestor's DEO.
Destroyed in 3 rounds, vs. destroyed in 3 rounds.
Xavier Francis of Bonisagus has DEO 20, with 4 levels of mastery including one Multi-Cast, so under the raw he can get off five shots a turn. But, he only has a CT of +20 and a Penetration (Perdo) of 3. So:
- Round 1: die roll of 8 gives him a CT of 28, and a Penetration of 12, which just ekes past Michael's MR of 10. His DEO of 20 destroys Michael in one shot.
With the Might÷2 Soak rule, it plays out like this:
- Round 1: His DEO of 20 is reduced to 15 by Michael's Soak, so his Might Pool is destroyed and his Might Score is reduced to 5.
- Round 2: Xavier rolls a 4, for a CT of 24 and a Penetration of 8. Michael's reduced Might Score of 5 gives him a MR of 5, so the DEO penetrates, and Michael is destroyed again, and decides to take up a life as a carpet salesman.
Titus of Flambeau (from Light of Andorra) has an AC DEO 50, and this is the only other person I can find in any of the campaigns (active or retired) on the forums aside from Xavier with a DEO of higher than 15.
So. Of the four examples I've used, all using DEO of characters in play on the forums, with Halia she either destroys the demon in four shots or is destroyed herself. With Hiems it's destroy the demon in one round (w/o Soak) or two (w/Soak). With Nestor, Soak or No Soak makes no difference. And Xavier Francis destroys Michael in one round w/o Soak, or two rounds w/Soak.
I don't get the whole torch-and-pitchfork thing I'm seeing with the Soak question, I really don't.