Prelude: The Gathering (Fabrica)

"Yes, but we will teach more often. And we could graduate students as full magi in half the time. But I have nothing to prove to you. I have the backing of my House and my Primus. I have proven myself to her, and if I tell you that I can teach 5 students at one time as well as the average magus can teach one student at a time, you should consider confirming that with my Prima. As I said, I have found away around teaching Arts one on one. We can model ourselves on the University and teach many more students at one time. Surely this is necessary more today than at any other time in the Order"

One of the things that I don't believe I have posted previously is that the background of saga has that the number of Gifted individuals as a percentage of the population steadily increasing. Meaning more potential apprentices AND some Gifted individuals who never become magi and also hedge magi have been increasingly adept at nabbing apprentices, and operating under the auspices of temporal authority, making it difficult for the Order to interfere. The Order of Suleiman and the Order of Odin are also believed to be actively [strike]kidnapping[/strike] recruiting Gifted individuals. Of course, attempts at diplomacy with these organizations has been less than successful, but it is also established in this saga that these organizations do exist.

Fabrica holds up his hand. "I'm sorry, you had said there was a way to teach more of the Arts...I had forgotten. I wasn't doubting your method, I just had forgotten that you had mentioned it. Hmmm...I am running out of reservations."

Elizabeth sits there for a moment, giving Fabrica a moment to reflect. The members of Fengheld being selected as delegates would be considered horrible teachers. They barely speak in counsel meetings, and one of them needs what is effectively a translator nearby so that people can understand what he's saying. Even though it is allegedly Latin.
"Indeed you should be. I have it on some authority that you will be guaranteed a vis salary for every term you teach, and will have one season per year to pursue your own projects. One other season will largely be free, but travel and dangerous research during the times school is in session will be prohibited. I'm not privvy to all of the details, because that is being discussed by the Primae and Primi."

Fabrica smiles and takes a drink of the wine that was served. "When this is brought before the Grand Tribunal, and they ask if and who you have already approached for this school, I want to be mentioned last. And make sure you include the pedigree I bring as a Master in the Rhine and twice winner of the Verditian Contest. Do this, and I shall be proud to bring my skills to this endeavor."

Elizabeth counters "I make no promises that your name will be last but shall pass your request on. The accolades, of course will be mentioned."

Fabrica purses his lips and shakes his head. "You came to me with this and are willing to pay me a vis salary and other considerations. Certainly you can make this simple request happen. I am in line to be the Primus of my House, a Master, Contest winner. Do this for me, it will be worth it, I assure you. Certainly claim the glory for the idea and formation of the school, I do not wish to take any of that. But when you list the assets already assembled and the teachers approached...I shall be the prize mentioned at the last. You can promise me this I'm sure."

"You give me far to much credit, Fabrica. In many ways, I'm a water bearer on this project, though it will validate my life's work. In order to see it through, I have to do something I don't like to be done. I will pass on your request to Tria, I can do more than that. If she reads the political matrix of the room such that it is impossible to fulfill your request, it is her judgment not mine. Punish me, and yourself if you'd like. It wouldn't be unheard of for those in your House to ignore a good opportunity when one is presented due to excess pride. But almost always, pride fades and you reconcile yourself to doing what you're asked to do, anyway. Just recognize what teaching at the first school for the Hermetic Arts will do to raise your pedigree among those of your House. You may be of the primogeniture lineage of your House, but there are several older and in a more direct line than you. If you wish to lead your House, you know you will come, because if you don't, I'll ask another Verditius."

I know your not always able to roll imediately, so when you can, roll Hubris to say no, now. :smiley:

((Uh...Is this stressed?

1d10+2 → [1,2] = (3)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4446512/ ))

Oh yeah. She's called you out and I'm just trying to see how hard you say yes now. Or whether you can say no at all. :smiley:

((Doh...

1d10 → [9] = (9)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4446545/ Oh wow....um...that'd be 20))

Fabrica's smile literally disappears like a light was put out. He picks up his goblet of wine and hurls it at the nearby wall and is on his feet. "You dare! You come to me, tempt me with a project to be endorsed by the Grand Tribunal and then threaten to go to my lessers with this instead?! As if I could be manipulated like some vain prince! This school will be a monumental failure!" he stomps over to the door and holds at it before turning back to her. "Were I not a part of it! I'll assemble my effects, we are off to Durenmar!"

Fabrica continues to stomp away to his sanctum, stopping a page along the way. "See to it that the Maga receives full courtesy as an honored guest!" he shouts at him, jerking a thumb back to the chamber he left her in.

((Damn those clever Trianoma...Fabrica needs some alone time))

Elizabeth asks the page for a quill and parchment or even paper will do, and pens a note to Fabrica.

Fabrica,
Please make your way to the Grand Tribunal, you'll receive an invitation as a delegate soon. I wish to thank you for accepting my invitation.

Elizabeth.

To the page, "Deliver this in a day or so, when he's had a chance to calm down."

Elizabeth thinks to herself, Tria was right, appeal to his Hubris, and you will have him. Still, I wish someone else were doing this instead of me.
She gets up and returns through the portal back to Harco and then to Phoenix in time for the day's siesta. After which she'll plan her meeting with some of the other potential teachers that have been suggested.

Anything else Fabric wishes to do in the in-between time?

He's mainly going to pack and make arrangements to stay at the Fengheld manor in Durenmar, assuming he'll have that privilege extended to him. It's a short trip. He's an egomaniac but a careful one. He's not about write letters or crow about this achievement before it's voted on, so he'll keep it on the downlow.

In his sanctum Fabrica is muttering to himself as he pulls a brass wand from a hook on his belt and begins gesturing around the room. As he does so items lift off their shelves and nooks to hover expectantly before floating to an open chest.

"'Oh, I can just go to another Verditius and let him get the glory! Don't pass this up Fabrica! They can use your Contest winning item just as well as its creator I'm sure!'" Fabrica snarls, mimicking to the best of hs ability the voice of the Bonisagus he left behind when he stormed out (that she didn't in fact say any of that would matter little). "Rubbish! Thinks she can turn greatness on or off like water at a pump? Who would show these snot nosed brats the artistry of the laboratory? Me, that's who! Without my stellar examples of enchanting and craftsmanship they'd have a hall full of half-fledged Hedge Wizards! Conjuring...baubles for some soup and bread!" the items circle and dip with agitation as he continues to pack things into his trunk before he finally takes a seat at a chair before his lecturn. On it was the journal he had kept from all of the seasons of instruction of his filia, Artemissa. The last pages were the lab text for her journeyman piece. The diagram has one small round inkblot on it, a flaw that under most circumstances would have required the page to be redone. But Fabrica demanded it stay on; it was from a tear of joy he shed upon examining her project.

A sympathy tear welled in his eye again at the memory. He was stern with Artemissa the first several years of apprenticeship, but once their tempers and humours aligned he allowed himself to relax his demeanor and share in the joy of instruction. He had instructed many others as well, all in the Mysteries, and all believed he was gifted at it. Would this school be the right thing? Could he mould the minds like the clay and other materials he worked with? If he could, this would likely pave the way for his ambitions as well as give him a spark of what he had with Artemissa that he so dearly missed. He sighed and continued packing.