Premade grogs

Hey everyone,

I'm running my first Ars campaign ever starting in a week, so I was trolling the board looking for any premade stuff I can use to make my life easier. The characters and items sticky threads are the most obvious sources of information, and are very useful. I noticed that the characters thread is basically all magi though, and what I really want is just a bunch of premade grogs or normal people, stuff like sailors, farmers, city people, or any other person I could have the characters interact with. Does anyone know where I could find something like that?

Thanks.

Well there was an Open Call for stuff like that awhile ago, but I've no idea when it'll be published...

I think a few of the sourcebooks have sample character's who'd fit the bill too, but I can't think of any at the moment...

I have a number of grogs in my saga you can use. Most of them are on the second page of the Character Sheets thread. I have posted a link here
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/the-break-room/102/1
:smiley:

Salve, Sodale nove!

• In order to get some ideas (or even more) for your grogs you might also sample the PbP saga threads. Especially in the older ones you find a bunch of grogs and covenfolk.
  • Actually I also recommend the Covenants-sourcebook. There you find quite a list of potential covenfolk-characters.
  • If you go for people without connections to magi, you might find some "ordinary people" in City and Guild, but if you only need it for this purpose, I'd say you waste money, as it isn't all that difficult to convert some grog-templates.

Have fun with your saga.

Vale,
Alexios ex Miscellanea

Thanks guys, these are really helpful. Marko, I'll be sure to check out the characters you have posted and look over the other PbP threads for anyone else posting useful stuff. Alexios, I already knew about the characters in Covenants, but I'll have to check out City and Guild as well.

You might also check out Atlas's main Ars Magica page, there's some sample grogs who are part of Semita Errabunda.

the "Covenants" book has quite a lot of pre-made coven folk...

Grogs from Novus Mane

Grogs from Andorra (Although Marko probably added some since I left the game)

Here are some that I recently wrote up for the game I just joined. Note, the atribute penalty for children has been applied where apropreate.

Bertmund the Carpenter

Characteristics: Int -1, Per -1 Pre +1, Com +2, Str +2 , Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +0

Size: 0

Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0
Confidence: NA
Virtues and Flaws: Craftsman
Personality Traits: Hard Working: +2 Loyal: +1 Loves Wife:+3

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0 Attack -, Defense +2, Damage : NA
Fist: Init: +0 Attack +4, Defense +3, Damage +1
Knife: Init:+0 Attack: +4 Defense: +2 Damage:+3
Axe: Init:+1 Attack: +5 Defense: +0 Damage: +7 (3 additional botch dice)

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)

Abilities: Animal Handling: 1 (Oxen) Area Knowledge: Normandy: 5 (forests) Athletics: 1 (climbing) Awareness: 2 (alertness), Bargain: 1 (lumber) Brawling: 2 (punches) Charm: 4 (first impressions) Craft: Carpenter 5 (furniture) Ettiquite: 1 (townfolk) Folk Ken: 4 (peasents) Guile: 3 (lying to authority) Hunt: 2 (rabbits) Leadership: 1 (directing carpentry work) Living Language: French: 5 (Poitevian) Stealth: 4 (natural areas) Survival: 3 (Normandy) Swim: 3 (long distance swimming) Teaching: 1 (Carpentry)

Equipment: Knife, Axe, Peasants clothes.

Bio: Bertmund was hired to help provide beams and other woodwork for the new tower that was being constructed at the covenant. He married his wife at 16, and they have had nine children, of which five are still alive.

Olivie the Carpenters Wife

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +0 Pre +0, Com +1, Str +0 , Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws: Common Sense, Pussiant Folk Ken, Busybody, Motion Sickness
Personality Traits: Curious: +4 Loyal: +1 Loves Children:+3

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1 Attack -, Defense +3, Damage : NA
Fist: Init: -+1 Attack +3, Defense +3, Damage +1

Abilities: Area Knowledge: Normandy: 1 (history) Athletics: 2 (chasing children) Awareness: 3 (alertness), Brawling: 2 (grappling) Charm: 2 (sympathetic ear) Craft: Weaver 1 (linen) Ettiquite: 2 (townfolk) Folk Ken: 5+2 (peasents) Guile: 5 (claiming ignorance) Hunt: 1 (children) Intrigue: 4 (gossip) Leadership: 1 (own children) Living Language: French: 5 (Poitevian) Profession: Steward: 5 (keeping house) Survival: 2 (Normandy) Teaching: 1 (Profession: Steward)

Equipment: Peasants clothes.

Bio: Bertmund and Olivie were married when she was 14 and he was 16. Bertmund was hired to help provide beams and other woodwork for the new tower that was being constructed. They have had nine children, of which five are still alive. Olivie would prefer to find some place to settle down, since traveling to new worksites is difficult for her.

Celsa eldest daughter of Bertmund and Olivie

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +0 Pre -1, Com -1, Str +0 , Sta -1, Dex +0, Qik +0

Size: -1

Virtues and Flaws: Clear Thinker, Humble
Personality Traits: Brave: -2 Loyal: +1

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0 Attack -, Defense +2, Damage : NA
Fist: Init: +0 Attack +2, Defense +2, Damage +0

Wound Penalties: -1 (1-4), -3 (5-8), -5 (9-12), Incapacitated (13-16)

Abilities: Area Knowledge: Normandy: 1 (history) Athletics: 1 (running) Bargain: 1 (vegitables) , Brawling: 2 (grappling) Charm: 2 (first impressions) Ettiquite: 2 (townfolk) Folk Ken: 4 (peasents) Hunt: 2 (children) Intrigue: 1 (plotting Living Language: French: 5 (Poitevian) Profession: Steward: 3 (keeping house) Stealth: 2 (hide) Survival: 1 (Normandy)

Equipment: Peasants clothes.

Bio: Bertmund and Olivie eldest child, and a great help to her mother.

Bertlinus eldest son of Bertmund and Olivie

Characteristics: Int -2, Per -2 Pre -2, Com -1, Str -2 , Sta +1, Dex -2, Qik -2

Virtues and Flaws: Enduring Constitution, Rapid Convalescence, Tough, Ability Block (Logic), Missing Ear, Reckless.
Personality Traits: Reckless: +3 Loyal to Family:+2 Cheerful:+2

Combat:
Dodge: Init: -2 Attack - Defense: +1 Damage : NA
Fist: Init: -2 Attack: +1 Defense: +1 Damage: -2
Knife: Init:-2 Attack:+2 Defense: +1 Damage:+0

Abilities: Athletics: 2 (lifting) Awareness: 1 (searching) Brawling: 3 (grappling) Charm: 2 (first impressions) Craft Carpenter: 3 Guile: 1 (bald faced lies) Music: 1 (singing) Living Language: French: 5 (Poitevian) Stealth: 2 (hide) Survival: 2 (Normandy)

Equipment: Peasants clothes, knife

Bio: Bertlinus is the eldest living son of Bertmund and Olivie. His recklessness has caused his mother great concern.

Thanks guys, those are useful. My players will almost certainly be running into some of these people at some point. :slight_smile:

Does anyone else think it would be useful to have a thread of characters created for bit parts? It seems like it would be more useful than the current thread of character designs since most of those are magi and I have enough ideas for magi on my own. For grogs and people met outside the covenant it would generally be easier to just incorporate material other people made IMHO.

Thoughts?

I think it would be great to have a CHARACTERS sub- forum, with a series of threads thus:

Magi sub-forum would have different threads for each house
Hedge Wizards sub-forum would have different threads for each type of hedgie
Mundanes sub-forum would have different threads for types of craft/social class/etc, ex: sailor, warrior, cook, teacher, healer, etc.

Wouldn't that be better on Project Redcap?

It might be useful, but I doubt there would be that many contributions. People tend to post magi rather than grogs because they want comments on the interesting thing which they have built, and grogs are inherently less interesting.
You have all the grogs people want to submit.

That being said, here are another couple

Ise the Milkmaid

Characteristics: Int 0, Per +1 (1) Pre +1, Com +0, Str +1 , Sta +1 (1), Dex +1, Qik +1

Decrepitude: 1 (1)

Virtues and Flaws: Enduring Constituion, Venus Blessing, Afflicted Tounge, Lecherous
Personality Traits: Lecherous: +4 Pious: -3 Carefree:+2

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1 Attack -, Defense +2, Damage : NA
Fist: Init: +1 Attack +2, Defense +2, Damage +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 0, -2, -4, Unconscious

Abilities: Animal Handling: 4 (goats) Area Knowledge: Normandy: 3 (legends) Athletics: 2 (contortions) Awareness: 2 (keeping watch), Bargain: 5 (produce) Brawling: 1 (grappling) Carouse: 2 (drinking songs) Charm: 2 (opposite sex) Chirurgy 1 (setting bones) Craft: Spinster: 1 (wool) Ettiquite: 1 (peasents) Folk Ken: 4 (opposite sex) Guile: 5 (fast talk) Leadership: 1 (herdsmen) Living Language: Occitan: 5 (Provencial) Profession: Milkmaid: 5 (goats) Stealth: 6 (sneak) Survival: 2 (Normandy) Swim: 3 (squirming free) Teaching: 1 (Animal Handling)

Equipment: Peasants clothes, knife, wool thread

Bio: Ise has never let long term considerations gotten in the way of having a good time. She left home to be a milkmaid when she was 12, and has supported herself from that point. She has enjoyed the attentions of men, but never had the need to limit her attentions to just one. As long as she is somewhat discreet, it was not a big deal. Now that she is older and getting long of tooth, it is a bit harder, but she is still enjoying herself, and does not yet regret anything.

Deniel the Teamster

Characteristics: Int -1, Per +1 Pre -1, Com –2, Str +1 , Sta +1 , Dex +3, Qik +2

Virtues and Flaws: Enduring Constituion, Linguist, Pussiant Brawling, Poor Student, Small Frame, Weakness: Wrestling
Personality Traits: Friendly: +2 Brave: +3 Loyal:+3

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1 Attack -, Defense +8, Damage : NA
Fist: Init: +1 Attack +10, Defense +8, Damage +1
Kick: Init:+0 Attack: +10 Defense: +7 Damage:+4
Dagger: Init: +1 Attack: +12 Defense: +8 Damage: +4
Grapple: Init: +1 Attack:+11 Defense:+9 Damage: NA

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 0, -2, -4, Unconscious
Abilities: Animal Handling: 1 (oxen) Area Knowledge: Normandy: 1 (geography) Athletics: 2 (contortions) Awareness: 4 (keeping watch), Brawling: 5+2 (grappling) Carouse: 1 (staying sober) Charm: 0 (opposite sex) (1) Ettiquite: 2 (peasents) Folk Ken: 3 (peasents) Guile: 1 (lying to authority) Hunt: 2 (rabbits) Intrigue: 1 (gossip) Living Language French: 3 (expansive vocabulary) Living Language: Occitan: 5 (Provencial) Profession: Teamster: 2 (oxen) Stealth: 3 (hide) Survival: 1 (Normandy)

Equipment: Peasants clothes, dagger

Bio: The third son of a peasant family, Deniel kept getting into fights. Not because he is bad tempered or anything like that, but he just loves wrestling. Perhaps it is because he can show he is as capable as anyone bigger than himself, perhaps it is just the sport of it, but he seems to enjoy it too much. The village where he grew up grew tired of it and it became easier to find someone to wrestle with if he kept moving as a teamster.