Quantities For An Arcane Connection

Hi all

Perhaps I've missed this in the rulebook, but I'm looking for clarification on something.

Does the quantity of something matter for how powerful the arcane connection is to someone? IE: Is a drop of blood as powerful as a vial, is a stone chip as powerful as a whole brick from a building, is one hair the same as a lock, etc?

I'm currently trying to think of sneaky ways to get an arcane connection from foes!

Many thanks,

Mark

There are no rules about that, no. You'd need to consult with your SG on a case by case basis - your character should know what is necessary, since it would fall under Magic Theory. You should probably go with something which feels symbolically appropriate: the lock of hair is traditional, the single hair less so. A stone chip wouldn't benefit you as much as something more symbolic, like the cornerstone of the building. The drop of blood would work out in most cases: I'd probably rule out mosquitoes. A blood stain on a white cloth is much more like it. :slight_smile:

Basically, if I thought you were just looking for a cheap trick, I wouldn't be very happy. Even if the thing you got were sufficient to use with arcane connection range, you might get penalized for lack of style with a reduced penetration bonus.

Obviously he should refer to Bonisagous' "Queer Eye for the Gifted Guy: Increase your Hermetic Power and Look Good Doing It!". :slight_smile:

According to the list of arcane connections (AM5 p. 84) a strand of hair last for months giving a +2 bonus to penetration multiplier while a lock of hair lasts for years and giving a +3 bonus.