Query: Minor Magical Focus thoughts...

Hi,

I'd call this Major, because it covers a lot of awesome ground. It applies to casting wards, Parma, any fast-cast spont to counter another magus' attack, deflecting arrows, dispelling magic that is harming someone, including the ritual that has stopped the rain and dried the rivers and is slowly turning the region into a parched desert, enhancing armor, removing the rage from an assailant, or even combatants....

It has such vast scope, that I might even understand as SG balking at even allowing this as a Major Focus.... but I find it flavorful and appropriate, especially with some pre-game agreement about the limits of Protection.

Anyway,

Ken

Arrows, yes.
Scabbards and swords, no.

Because the later could be used offensively, disarming people you were planning to attack.

I think I'd limit it to effects centered about a person or a location. Like, swords striking my good pal robert will become too heavy to lift, ok, but not "these soldier's swords become too heavy to lift". The former is defense, the later is offense.

By the way, I agree with Obvarwa about the scope.

Seems people is way less resrictive with the protection focus than I would be. If someone is not hurting you in this round, you cannot affect it in any case. That would be my benchmark. It could be increased to give protection to other sentient beings (no herbam here for me either) nearby, but you cannot use it to protect a door from being smashed, for example.

Cheers,

Xavi

Yup, this seems better that way for a minor focus, yes.
So this would make the focus a "Protecting People" one.
Sounds good to me, and it prohibits some of the more abusive uses (like the scabbard ones)

Not an answer to your question but protection magic as a focus is only worth the virtue point only if you want to create very high level protection spells.
Wards has relatively low levels. Or do you want to know 45th level Aegis right at the beginning?

Pacification is not a good name because you didn't determined the way you want to use this focus. When I hear the word pacification I associate some people were defeated by military force.
I think you should specify it and it could be minor. For example 'calm things'. To calm people, animals, storms, a great fire, what else?

Buildings are not protection spells of course. Another issue in certain situations it could be protective.
I think if you create a focus you must know exactly which of your spells are part of your focus and not the situation determines you can or cannot use it.

Ignem:
I would choose a 'creating fire' minor focus. Or 'BoAF and similar spells'. 8)

Yup, seems right to me. Like an inferior version of the major "Flames and Fire" focus