Question about Baccalaureus & Simple Student Virtues

In Arts and Academy, the virtues Baccalaureus and Simple Student both grant the character 30 experience points per finished year of studies. Does anyone know, is that meant to be instead of the characters usual yearly alotment of experience points or in addition to it? For example, would a Baccalaureus have a total of 90 exp or 135 exp for his three years of study?

Magister in Artibus on page 45 of ArM05 , states:

Baccalaureus (page 90 , A&A) is 3 years and 90xp to be spent on Latin and Artes Liberales.
While not explicitly stated , my assumption is that these are extra xp , as for Magister in Artibus.
Simple Student (page 92 , A&A) should also give 30xp/year above the age-based allowance.
You were a Simple Student for X years , did your Baccalaureate for 3 years ,
then extended your education to become a Magister in Artibus.

Ok, I'll buy that.

Does make me wonder though. Are magi really horrible teachers? Could you actually complete a heremtic apprenticeship on 8 years rather than 15?

I was wondering that myself after reading your question.
Why do Magi not get their xp over and above age-based xp.
All the Education virtues give extra xp , including Vernacular Education (50xp) , page 109 , City & Guild.

Guild Apprenticeship (Abusive Lengths of Apprenticeship) , page 43 , C&G

As far as i can tell , Craftsmen do not get extra xp over and above age-based xp.

Guild Social Status Virtues , page 53 , C&G

Of course you CAN... Or rather, SOME magi can teach that well. Others cant.
And its normal to employ apprentices as lab assistants part of the time which is a way to pay the teaching magi back.
And, an apprentice themself probably needs enough time to get used to magic and the power it gives as well.

Optimised(or in a pinch), 5 years will do plenty enough, but having a standard means a magi can neither get rid of the apprentice ASAP, nor keep them as lab assistants for decade after decade.
And it also means that even if an apprentice is taken VERY young, they will still be grown up when finished.

In an extreme case, one season to open the Arts, another season to teach basic understanding of Magic Theory.

I'm kinda re-imagining the Order into something closer to the Learned Magicians from Hedge Magic and wondering how being educated in a university or cathedral school environment would change both the traditions and mechanics of apprenticeship.

(Edit: Ideal musing... at what point does it really cease to be house rules and become writing a new version of the game)