Quick question on A&A: longevity

"or purpose", like keeping you healthy.

"you" being the Workshop Total, as Chris stated.

That I like, everyone has different needs and you could run out of sesame seeds for that grumpy mage - quick, an adventure before you are turned into a toad! RAW does not require it though.

I ran a simple computer simulation with a mundane baker with an affinity in his craft skill, starting as a young, untutored apprentice at age 10. I am assuming his relevant characteristic (Perception in the case of a baker in my saga) is a good +2, and that he has a specialty in exceptional goods. I am assuming a basic living conditions modifier of 0, and that the baker's goal is to become wealthy and respected - thus, he's not going to work overtime - and he's going to put half his exposure and practice time into his Craft. Just by virtue of his increasingly better bread, he has more than 80% chance of being still alive and in good health (Decrepitude below 4) at age 90 (with an Craft skill of 19 or so).

I didn't think this was possible. Putting a cap at how much you can get out of stuff like bread or high quality meat would not be a bad thing IMO.

Xavi

I certainly don't like this idea that a a covenant paying for the upkeep of its grogs with a good physician should be utterly nerfed by a baker.

Please note that making an exceptional weapon is all about weighting it and balancing it for a specific person. A specific tool is ergonomically crafted to fit the users hand, exceptional tailoring on a suit of clothes cannot be worn by everyone. Saying that the item is designed for a specific purpose such as 'killing things' or 'being worn' is really not in fitting with the feel of these such items. Because otherwise my Small framed fearie bloodcap could wield an excellent beardaxe build for my giant blooded Scotsman or he could borrow and easily wear his superior ringmail without penalty and actually with bonus.... This feels wrong and I think A & A provides a good explination of how food is comverted and provides energy etc and how humours effect the health of a person. So bread (although a staple) which improves the health of a Choleric Person would not neccessarily be good for a Sanguine one.

A

Well why not? Paying for the upkeep of grogs can be nerfed with a few easy spells, or a couple of clever items. Now, if you wanted to be "realistic", then run with it. A baker capable of baking "excellent" bread is no ordinary baker, and is more companion then grog. He is a grandmaster of his craft, and can and will charge accordingly. It seems to be one of the elements of the game that anything the mages care about can be done better then Mythic Europe is doing now. This is just one example. Nothing wrong with rewarding players for caring about their covenant.

I think you're trying to tell different stories here. The wonderous life giving bread only fits in (imo) to a saga that has the feel of a fable or a fairy tale. In that setting I think it has a feel that fits very well. In a saga that's about exploring the implications of the theories presented in A&A, your idea about tailoring food to humours might be right. In the more down to earth sagas that I usually prefer, I would ban anything like this that extends life beyond normal expectations without involving magic.