Reb Pinhas ben Nahum

And this is true. It's one of the problems I had with Ra'am as a character, but we are modern people putting a modern spin on a medieval fantasy setting. Some things are just not fun to play out when you stick close to reality. My experience with Jewish friends is that they are all "kosher," but all seem to have different interpretations of what that means. And then there are some that don't try and stay kosher, but still go to Temple, and are fine with it.

So Ra'am is a pious Jew, who is a practicing member of the Order of Hermes, his longevity rituals always use Creo vis, and are only harvested from plant sources, so that he can call them "kosher." Yeah, it's a stretch. But I think it's fun and interesting.

No. I want him to have the abilities that will let him oppose the Sithra Achra. That's Adjuration + Purity: that's the only thing he absolutely has to have. I feel that he also has to have Kabbalah (which functions as Invocation) for background and RP reasons. I'd be happy with those three: probably drop the Kabbalah score down significantly, though, since he hasn't had much time to study it.

At the height of his power, he should have Blessing, and Understanding, and Gematria, and quite possibly Wonders (see the story of Reb Eliezer and Reb Jehoshuah) and and and.

Scaling him back is fine with me. As long as he can have that one Power and two Methods, I'm OK with that. Probably going to go the route you suggested and take extra Flaws to balance the extra Virtue.

This is an interesting topic.
On one hand, if we go by RoP:D, the answer's pretty explicit. Hermetic Magi are idolaters, idolatry is one of the three sins you should "die rather than do", that's pretty cut and dried. On the other hand...

First of all, I've never bought into "Hermetic magic is idolatry" thing. It feels really tenuous to me, and there's a lot of room for interpretation there. I understand why the designers did it from a game-balance standpoint, but there is still a lot of room for an individual Jew to decide whether Hermetic Magic is idolatry or not, and aside from his community's rabbi, there's no one to tell him different. If he happens to be a rabbi, there really isn't anyone to tell him different. There's no pope, no archbishop, no synods that decide what's canon and what isn't. Other rabbis may argue with him to prove him wrong, but no one may dictate to him that it is wrong.

(Arguably, even God might not be able to tell him it's wrong. Again, see the story of Reb Eliezer and Reb Jehoshuah. It's my favorite story from the Talmud, hands down. I'll post it in a bit.)

Secondly, look at Pinhas' Personality Flaws, both Major. Pious -- and Driven to oppose the Sithra Achra. That's a major source of internal conflict for the character. His piety tells him to obey the halakhah in all things, but his hatred of demons tells him that sometimes, in pursuit of the greater good, it might be permissible to cut corners. So most times he will work with magi when given a good reason. He'll just be conflicted about it.

The story is from the Babylonian Talmud. A number of rabbis are arguing about a point of law in the Halakhah.

"On that day, R. Eliezer responded to them with all the arguments in the world and they did not accept them from him."

He said to them: "If I am right, this carob tree will prove it." The carob tree was uprooted from its place and moved one hundred cubits; some say, four hundred cubits.

They said to him: "The carob tree does not constitute proof."

He said to them: "If I am right, this stream of water will prove it." The stream started to flow backwards.

They said to him: "Streams of water do not constitute proof."

He said to them: "If I am right, the walls of the study hall will prove it." The walls of the study hall inclined to fall.

Reb Yehoshua rebuked them [the walls]. He said to them: "If talmudic scholars contest one another in matters of Halakha, why does this concern you?" They did not fall, out of respect for Reb Yehoshua, but they did not straighten, out of respect for Reb Eliezer, and they are still inclined there.

He [Reb Eliezer] said to them: "If the halakha is as I say, let it be proved from the heavens." A heavenly voice came forth and proclaimed: "Why are you contesting Reb Eliezer, when Halakha follows him in every area?"

Reb Yehoshua arose and rebuked God, saying: "'It is not in the scripture'" (Devarim 30: 12). What does this mean? Reb Yirmiyah said: "The Torah has already been given at Sinai. We pay no heed to heavenly voices, since it has already been written in the Torah at Sinai, 'follow the majority' (Shemot 23: 2)."

Reb Natan came upon Eliyahu. He said to him: "What is the Holy One, Blessed be He, doing at this time?"

Eliyahu said to him: "He is laughing and saying, 'My children have defeated me; My children have defeated me'."

Now that's funny.

Pinhas ben Nahum, v 1.1
(Some Abilities are missing specializations ATM because I didn't take RoP:D with me to Texas.)

Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Pre 0, Com +3, Str -1, Sta -1, Dex 0, Qik -3
Size: 0
Age: 45 (45), Height: 5'8'', Weight: 140 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: Adjuration, Purity, Craft Amulets, Educated: Hebrew , Arcane Lore , Kabbalah, Sense Holiness and Unholiness;
Flaws: Outsider (Jew), Driven (Oppose demons) (Major), Pious (Major), Enemies/Plagued by Supernatural Entity[sup][1][/sup], Temperance.
[sup][1][/sup]: His activities have earned him the personal attention of a moderately powerful demon.
Reputations:
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -2, Attack -, Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: -2, Attack +3, Defense +1, Damage 1
Kick: Init: -3, Attack +3, Defense +0, Damage +2
Soak: 0
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1-5), 3 (6-10), 5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Magic Lore (creatures) 1, Infernal Lore (demons) 4, Dominion Lore (angels) 2, Artes Liberales (logic) 3, Hebrew (studying) 4, Aramaic (Talmud) 4, Spanish (talking to gentiles) 5, Arabic (talking to gentiles) 3, Kabbalah 2, Adjuration 4, Craft Amulets 4, Sense Holiness and Unholiness (evil) 4, Profession: Shochet 1, Rabbinical Law 3, Theology (Jewish) 5, Area Lore: Castille (Jewish communities) 3, Bargain (amulets) 1, Brawl (dodge) 3, Folk Ken (Jews) 3, Teaching (in Hebrew) 4, Profession: Scribe (Hebrew) 2, Craft: Woodcarving (amulets) 2, Order of Hermes Lore 1, Latin (talking to magi) 3, Etiquette (Gentiles) 2.

Equipment:
Woodcarving tools and a travelling scribe's box, both including ritual materials.
Shochet's knife.
Rashi's Commentaries, Volume 1
Sword of Moses
Personal belongings

Encumbrance: 0 (0)
[/quote]

Been following this conversation, and I think there are interesting ideas hereAs a note, although Roberto is not quite Pious, he is a devoted Catholic, and does not think of Hermetic Magic as idolatry. It may stem from idolatry, but he turns a blind eye to that. It is what it is, it works because God wills it.
Mythic or regular Companion matters naught to me. But I do agree that, if a reoccuring character, it should be standard. A one-off guest character could be mythic (or another magus). Or perhaps treat the character as a Gifted Companion hedge wizard (based on Kabbalah). Or twist it whatever way works out best. Indeed, I shall say-say nothing. I only give suggestions or pose questions.