Reference Check: Magic Resistance

It's probably easy to find, but I am having trouble tracking down the specific declaration that magic resistance cannot be created with Hermetic Art/magic.

It is ArM5 p.161 Rego Vim Guidelines: "Rego Vim would also be the combination of Arts that granted MagicResistance, but not even Bonisagus was able to turn Parma Magica into a spell. Aegis of the Hearthis the best that has been managed, and that spell is not fully integrated into Hermetic theory."

We found that. The player's response at the time: "I don't want to do something with Parma Magica, I want to grant a point of magic resistance."

There's something I'd change with 6th Edition: clear technical writing.

"There is no known way to grant magic resistance with a spell in current Hermetic theory."

The concept; with forceless penetration, to cast a spell without affecting her grogs.

Unfortunately there is not really a possibility to grant a point of general magic resistance to e.g. grogs.

However what you can do is solve the problem more specifically.

for example if the maga in your example wants to create lots of fire but also doesn't want it to affect her grogs she could design a spell that wards a group against fire. This approach should work for most spells but requires that the maga in question is willing to develop a new warding spell for her grogs whenever she wants to use magic without affecting her grogs.

Indeed, this is the easy approach in ArM5. Protect your grogs with your Parma, tell them to stay within sight of you, and then cast forcelessly all the spells you wish in their direction without affecting them. Just make sure that the side effects of your spells - like the forest that took fire - stay well away from the grogs.

Other options include turning your grogs into ghosts!

1 Like

Covering with PM was already suggested, but rejected. I don't know why. I suspect the player does not want to reduce Parma, and in any case has a relatively weak score. Covering one grog is not much use.

I suspect an answer could be wards, and I'll have to suggest it. In any case, as far as I can tell, there's no clear and blunt reference.

Find a Saint. A desde one preferably. Dismember him or her. Give each grog a piece of the Saint. MR for all.

The Parma trick also works, of course. Or granting them an immunity. You can do that with hedge magic traditions, and some items of virtue will also grant minor or major immunities. If the spell you cast is of that sort, they will be protected.

That's funny! One of the other magi is a Holy Mage, and there's discussion of him being a saint; we should suggest he sacrifice himself for the greater good.

"Why are you holding a bone saw?"

Just imagine the take in relics: teeth, knucklebones, hair...

Isn't "Rego Vim would also be the combination of Arts that granted Magic Resistance, but not even Bonisagus was able to turn Parma Magica into a spell." clear enough? Parma Magica is the universal personal Hermetic MR. If that can't be turned into a spell, there is no universal personal Hermetic MR as a spell.

"There is no known way to grant magic resistance with a spell in current Hermetic theory." is a wrong statement. The ArM5 p.161 Aegis of the Hearth resists spells cast against it by those who did not participate in its making and did not receive a token. ArM5 p.162 Circular Ward against Demons provides magic resistance against demons trying to affect those within the circle, and a personal version of it is possible.

1 Like

Somehow I seriously doubt that farming living saints for relics to get magic resistance would work. I find it extremely unlikely that the divine would allow such behaviour to go unpunished.

For all that it was disturbingly common behaviour in the real 13th century (I hasten to add that the saints in question were already dead).

Exactly, the saints who were subject to the actual medieval practise were already dead before being farmed.

What I think is unlikely to work is finding a holy person, killing them and then trying to use their bodyparts as relics. The bodyparts may well serve as relics in general but i doubt that the divine would extend its protection to those who killed the saint.

1 Like

Ah no. I was not talking about actually making the Saint pass away, even if that is certainly an option xD More like looking for holy people and being first to grab the body. or an arm. A hand or a foot has plenty of relics in it for what you need.

1 Like

Well, if we're talking Magic Might, it could, theoretically, be possible with a powerful enough Creo Vim spell with appropriate requisites, but honestly it seems like the magus would be better off trying to figure out some way to initiate the Transformed Human virtue.

Or Holy Magic lets you use the Divine M&P guidelines so a character with Invocation/Blessing could create such a spell pretty easily. I believe it's possible with Incantation/Diablerie as well for the infernally inclined. Both of those are expensive just for that option, but the infernalist might purchase it more cheaply as an Infernal Blessing or Infernal Heirloom...

The other simple approach is, to have the character look for a familiar with some decent Might.

How would a familiar with some decent might grant magic resistance to the grogs?

Where do the grogs come from? From here:

?

To my experience grogs are most of the time protected by the Aegis. Shield grogs are typically covered by their maga's Parma, if they accompany her.

If a covenant frequently sends larger bodies of grogs on marches overland, it sometimes protects these by enchanting some wards into a covenant standard.

But the really valuable individual protections, like Relics or initiations to Magic Might, are tme deemed too precious for grogs.

I have found the opposite. Shield grogs are the ones carrying relics around, precisely because they are that, a shield, so their endurance is paramount. This is specially true for young magi that have weak parma scores. You do not have that many shield grogs in an Away party, so having a pair of relics or three to be transferred around is quite feasible.