Rego Vim: Controlling the Supernatural

It's stated in the spell guidelines for Rego Vim that ReVi can ward against various being with might (magical/infernal/fae). So, one might extrapolate that one can use Rego Vim to summon or control various creatures with might. My question is then, how do you port over spell guidelines from other arts to Rego Vim?

For example, if i wanted to emulate the ReMe 10 spell, Call to Slumber... could I use the ReMe guideline and create a ReVi version that has the same effect, but only on beings of a specific Realm of Power.

Or perhaps use the spell guideline for ReMe 20 spell, Coerce the Spirits of the Night which allows a magus to control a spirit or ghost with ReMe. Could one create a ReVi with the same guideline for a ReVi 20 spell, Coerce the Faerie Lord, etc.?

Or perhaps a spell that paralyzes a being of might. The ReCo base to hold a body still is 5, could you make a ReVi 20 (base 5, 2 voice, 1 diamter) to Paralyze a Fae/Demon/Magic Being?

Thoughts are appreciated.

I'd say no, but if it's a sentient being it's subject to the Call to Slumber as is. Doesn't matter that it's a faerie as long as you can penetrate.

Yes. Explcitly so.

Except ofcourse that Angels are immune :frowning:

that should work

I'm a bit fuzzy on the differences in what Form you'd use to control a Faerie Lord/Spirit/Demon/etc.

On the one hand there are the Form based Wards, such as "Ward Against Faeries of the Mountain".
I then note in RoP: Magic that Airy Spirits can be controlled by Rego Vim.
Rego Vim's guidelines in the Core note that "theoretically, it is possible to conjure and control demons through Rego Vim". I would assume this works as they in essence are immaterial spirits that congeal bodies, as do moat (all, I think) Faeries.

But what of being without a natural spiritual form? A manticore, perhaps? Can you paralyze that with Rego Vim? A faerie dragon? An infernally corrupted Cow of Evil?

I don't have access to my books right now, but I think there are two plausable explanations. The key thing that has to be true, though, is a particular understanding of the term "essential nature."

1. If a Fae Lord is associated with Herbam as a Forest Lord may be, then one might argue that ReHe wards would work. Even if he is immaterial at the time the spell is in operation or has changed himslef to appear as a suitably scary (or not) human-shaped person. To extend this further, one might suppose that this ignores Realm altogether and would exclude creatures with Might that are associated with Herbam irrespective of Realm. No need to know the Realm and the use of the spell will not allow it to be known. If this is true, then your Herbam-specialized magus can walk with impunity through the woods (except, perhaps the blackest parts) and not have to 'waste' time studying Vim to any significant degree.

2. Consider the same Forest Lord (Faerie). He uses a glamour and appears as a person with leafy-green hair and twiggy beard, but undeniably person-shaped. SOme would say that Corpus spells would work on him. Should they? If he is essentially Herbam-natured or possibly Vim as you might argue, then trying it would be risky , at best. Again, go back to essential nature. If your understanding of essential nature is such that a glamour MAKES something true, then Copus would work. Of Glamour does not change essential nature, than maybe not.

There are other cases, but I think whatever decision you come up with should start with the Essential Nature issue and derive from there. For me, I have answered it by requiring the following:

-- If a being has Might and a Form association, than a ward may designed to target either the Realm or the Form (or both if you want to be very selective and let the Lady of the Lake through). In my little world, the Forest Lord ward may be targeted by both ReVi or ReHe. Whatever form of vis they leave behind is the form association. Vim-associated beings thus are harder to ward against in that one MUST use a Vim-based spell.
-- If a being of Might changes thier form (note the little 'f') to, say, a cute little puppydog, then the new Form may target the animal IF the change was done a particular way (Glamour in the case of fae, for example) AS WELL AS the previous wards unless the Form of vis they leave behind also changes (vis doesn't change in my world, though). If the puppy changes back to the lord, then the Animal spell no longer affects it.

Just my two cents. Hope the perspective helps.

-K!

The fae are a weird case. In this example the fairy's Grammar is to interact with the world in the form of a 'Human'. As such, if you cut it, it should bleed. However being 'Human' is not part of is essential nature. It doesn't matter if corpus actually affects the fairy, it's grammar dictates it should act as though it does... based on it's cognisense it would 'actually' work, sometimes work, or only 'work' if the fairy thought it fulfilled a purpose (though it would be pretending). I would think ReVim could 'inflict' corpus like wounds on a fairy, in that you are controlling the Animae to act like it had been wounded.

Herbam is part of it's essential nature and will control it. Being Animae I would think Vim could create more powerful effects than Herbam.

I'd also think that ReVim would work as the inverse as to the way ReMen works based on the cognisense of the fairy. Incognisent fairy's have an imitation of a mind, ReMen works because it's supposed to, but sometimes wont, depending on what you are trying to do. It will 'work' to fit its grammar. If you were to probe(InMen) deep into the mind you would find nothing. A highly self aware fairy would actually have a mind, ReMen works just like on a human, it has emotions, alien as they may be, and real memories. ReVim would then affect an Incognisent fairy like ReMen would a person, since it doesn't really have a mind, you are affecting it as an Animae. But a Highly Cognisent fairy, having a real mind, ReVim could not impact it in that fashion.