ReHe 10 guideline - Make a thing made of plants move with purpose

If you imbue this effect into a weapon, are there any guidelines about how effectively such an animated item can perform in a stressful situation like a fight?

1 Like

Well, there is the Treacherous Spear in the core book.

Sometimes Finesse is used in place of a combat Ability with things that are animated.

But there is nothing really explicit.

2 Likes

There's a relatively lengthy discussion of this type of effect starting here(be warned, I mean it when i say lengthy):

3 Likes

[quote="Wingsday, post:3, topic:173188, full:true"]
There's a relatively lengthy discussion of this type of effect starting here (be warned, I mean it when i say lengthy):[/quote]
Oh yes, lots of ideas, and none of those ideas was really a complete winner that both does everything you'd think that it should and fits comfortably into what's been published.

5 Likes

So, I've spotted two spells where something is used to attack via magic using Finesse as the Ability, though not with this guideline:

• Strike of the Angered Branch (ReHe 15, core book)
  • The Treacherous Cloak (ReAn 5, MoH p.100)
2 Likes

Lets assume that we do use Finesse or Finesse -3.
Most of the things I want to use this for would be items with environmental trigger and item maintains concentration effects.
Would it be the Finesse score at the time of crafting or would the finesse essentially be zero? Or could you put some levels into pseudo-finesse into the item crafting in the same way you add Penetration to items?

Well, Circular Wall of Shields is D: Sun and uses Finesse. So it's not like D: Concentration is needed. Animated trees and dead either use a set value (above 0) or use Finesse. So we know you can use Finesse this way with continuing effects. In all such cases I would use the score at time of casting. But you do need to be careful with items. If you've got some maintained-concentration item someone chooses to use to animate a weapon, that would presumably use the wielder's Finesse at the moment used based on this related rule from core (p.100) and shown in numerous other spots (e.g. Stone-Cutting Knife, Cov p.52).

All Targeting rolls demanded by a device’s effects are made by the wielder of the device, using the wielder’s Finesse score.

1 Like