request to history buffs

This is an odd one, but potentially someone might know.

I am wanting to have a Temple to Glycon (a possibly hoax snake god) still with a secretive group of worshippers / hopeful believers, located next to a river, possibly in a (sub)urban area.
Where are the most probable places in Mythic Europe it might be located?

This being Mythic Europe, I expect that a Faerie might be impersonating the fake god.

1 Like

Wherever you like.

His cult got to Rome, from there weird stuff goes everywhere.

2 Likes

Inebolu / Abonoteichos in Paphlagonia at the Black Sea. Especially if you are happy with it being near a sea coast instead of a river.

A medieval Faerie cult might also have moved in Mythic Europe via sea trade to Liguria, as Genoa dominated the trade with the Black Sea. Nice medieval towns at rivers there are Noli and Albenga. But there are many more.

2 Likes

Interesting. I hadn't realised it had started on the southern shore of the Black Sea.
For some reason I thought the cult started in Romania, Constanta

Addenda. That was were the archeologists found the statue

I suggest the Rhone River valley, a fairly well populated river valley with trade on its route, but still a bit remote in sections. There's also a local tradition of river dragons.

The Tarrasque being the most famous, no?

Doesn't Masedonia have a lot of snake cults? Alexander the Great's mother was involved with them if I recall correctly.

Another option, of course, is to honour Glycon's most celebrated modern worshipper and set it in Northampton, birthplace and home of writer/wizard Alan Moore.

It has the River Nene and was an important urban hub in the medieval period.

2 Likes

The Tarasque is from that area (Tarascon), although it's more of a dragon-turtle, and smaller than I would expect.

While this has a certain emotional appeal, one feels that the cult of Glycon would only have spread in the days before the Roman Empire was Christian. It kind of looks like Norhampton wasn't big enough in those days to attratc a cult temple.

Yeah, makes sense. I guess if I went for Northampton, I'd stretch credulity and have either:

1. A post-Roman establishment due to the Glycon cult having been subsumed into an itinerant trade associated with Northampton, such as drovers or cobblers/leathermen - with the temple secreted under a guildhall.

2. A recent establishment under a wealthy burgess who became enthralled by the Glycon-faerie during a European trade voyage, with a temple being rebuilt in Roman style - at great expense - within the burgess' part-submerged Nene-side cellar.

3. Go with a very optimistic interpretation of the posited Roman site at Duston, just NW of Northampton.

Of course, you asked for history buffs, and I'm pushing the other way! Sorry.