Ring Restiction

Some things just are not worth a season and the vis for an LED though. Granted that is a judgement call... but I think in some ways ring effects allow a bit of minor 'flavor' magic to come into the game without having to go to that great of an expense. Sort of a middle ground between spells and enchanted devices in investment/effort.

Of course you can still light up your covenant with ring duration light spells with the stationary rings rule. You just won't be able to carry around your enchanted lights.

I'm in the "if you move the ring it breaks the magic" camp. I'm pretty sure it mentioned it somewhere in the spell descriptions.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I had a terrible thought. You cast a magic spell on a ring of some type, and that spell is active until the ring is broken. That means that the ring is being subject to a magical effect... Over time the ring itself will gain warping points in the nature of the spell it is maintaining. Your ring around your Creo Ignem lights will give off sparks, your ring to keep something inside will also repel things from outside.

Just think of all of those ring duration effects everywhere around your covenant, just think of the weird things they may turn into.... The possibilities are endless for a decent SG.

Erik, how specific are you defining movement? For example, someone who might specialize in enlarging small objects, if they cast a ring duration spell, maybe Circular Ward Against Demons, on a small wooden ring the size of a bracelet would you allow them to then enlarge that original small bracelet? Or is that an abuse you would curb?

For a specific scenario let's say that the caster holds the bracelet above their head, traces the ring/bracelet, spell acts on the bracelet and next round the bracelet is enlarged to hula hoop size, drops to the ground to encircle the caster. Would the spell hold? Technically it's mobile with respect to the earth - enlarging in diameter.

Although, might one argue that enlarging or moving a ring within the ring duration casting limit (5'/second) might be within reason? Moving on a fast sailing ship would be out, barring your breakthrough.

But I suppose using unseen porter or some such and making the ring invisible to follow the caster around a few inches off the ground at no greater than 10 paces/round might be taking advantage of the rules.

That's a good question. On one hand it seems like a very cool idea that I don't want to squash. On the other hand, with a sufficiently powerful muto spell or two you've suddenly got target boundary spells sans rituals and several magnitudes lower (admittedly you'd also have to learn size adjusting spells but it's still probably a net gain).

Anyone have a strong argument one way or another?

( I might but I don't like it much so I'll hold off on it for a bit)

I edited above while you replied. See above for more specific example.

Wouldn't the Muto Vim spell to make it a boundary effect be a ritual?