Rival Magic: I has it!

Where are the Amazons placed geographically, or are they?

Scott

Amazonia...

OK, so that wasn't helpful. :frowning:

Oh, it was. :slight_smile: I take it it doesn't give any suggestions at all, even the location the Greeks historically attributed to them?

Scott

The text notes that the Amazons have relocated, but now inhabit an island near the western shore of the Caspian Sea. To the north are the Cumans, and to the South the Sultanate of Khwarezm. The island of Amazonia is surrounded by mist and difficult to get to. The Amazons themselves summon earth elementals to construct land bridges when they wish to send forth their cavalry to raid their neighbors...

Vrylakos

Actually, the Kipchaks are to the north, with the Cumans to the west of them, but the two are often conflated (for example, but the Russians, who labeled them collectively as "Polovtsi").

Anyway, I was curious since I just started a saga where the covenant ended up located at the old site of Tanais (where the Amazons worshipped, according to Greek myth), in the Don River delta.

Scott

Amen to that.

Seriously, this looks very cool and a marker to measure things from...

Lachie

So I just bought a copy from Amazon, though they don't know when it will ship, which is sad. But its cool cause it will be getting it. :slight_smile:

One of the things about Rival Magic that I can't wait for is to actually read about the Augustan Brotherhood because aren't they the court wizard group. And I want to see the information they provide for that function.

So yeah, can I be one of those clambering for information on the brotherhood and its court wizarding types?

I am glad the book came out, it will be cool to have it in my hands soon.

Mechanically, I can see your desire to not want a new system. Thematically, Rune Magic would be highly inappropriate. The runes were Odin's gift to man; whereas the Muspelli serve Odin's arch-enemies. The runes principally help mankind, whereas the Muspelli have no such interests. Historical Europe at this time is about to suffer a few disasters - famine, a mini Ice Age, and (of course) the Great Plague. If these events still occur in Mythic Europe, then the Muspelli might be (in part) to blame. They can summon harsh winter storms, extend the ice caps, summon rats to consume the crops, and spread a corpse-plague. These are not things that rune magic can achieve.

Mark

It's killing me that I won't be getting this until January!

Thanks for the synopses :slight_smile:

I'll try and look over the Augustan Brotherhood tonight and tomorrow morning and give some synopses of what they are about.

Vrylakos

Is it any good? :smiley:

cj x

OK, briefly: the author (me) started with the 13th century magical traditions about Virgil, and reverse engineeered a magic system that fits those stories. They are odd to our modern mind, and not really like Hermetic Magic; but they could I guess be incorporated. The reason we have four new magic systems was that ws part of the book concept: we wrote abouyt possible enemies for the Order, and they needed weird exotic magics to be spooky and diffferent. I have used the Muspelli and Amazons in my saga already, and the Soqotrans are just plain cool, and exotic, and I really must introduce them one day, becuse I love them. The Brotherhood I leave to you to decide on :slight_smile:

cj x

Amazon tells me i should have mine here in aussieland around Dec 23.
I knew i should have paid the exorbitantly high rate to get it sooner.

Do be careful. Once this book is in wide circulation, fraternizing with Amazons might be regarded as a marchable offence... :smiley:

The Vitki are the ones that use the most different system compared to hermetics and other supernatural users so far. There are 20-ish individual runes (they do not combine to cast spells most of the time) so you have to learn 20-ish new arts if you want to use them. The other supernatural traditions so far use only a MUCH more limited amount of abilities (up to 7 IIRC) or a combo of up to 4 techniques and 4 forms.

So, IMO the vitkir are the ones that are complicated. Cool, but complicated. I have always liked the vitkir and I am in fact playing one right now, so I made the effort to learn the new magic system. It is the one system in HM that required me to study it instead of grasping it straight away. That should tell you something :slight_smile: Sounds that the muspelli are way easier.

Cheers,
Xavi

To the authors:

Very well done. I really appreciate the creativity and new ideas. I REALLY liked this book!

-K!

I loved a subtle implication of Viea. She became a magical human and in so doing lost her magic (or rather had some of it transformed into powers and the rest was lost). That's a marvelous possibility to put in front of a power gamer salivating at becoming an immortal creature with a might of 1 so as to best take advantage of the RoP : Magic rules.

Agreed. I also like the setup for the fall of Amazonia is the Queen does not keep her perspective about her.

Brilliant Gremlin! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Someone make that chap or chapess a Quesitor! :slight_smile:

cj x

Sooo, any more information on the Augustan Brotherhood? I'm dying here with anticipation. :slight_smile: