Robes of weapon immunity

As he was nothing more than a humorous poke at the concept, I doubt any offence would be taken. :wink:

In reality it's all to hide the fact that I like it : using it as a part of my desktop background ^^

hide in shame
:blush:

ROFLMAO!

loooooooooooool Thanks a lot, iudicium! :smiley: I feel honored :smiley:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4984/magusmansourirecn8.jpg
:open_mouth:
The photograph is not from me, I don't remember exactly where I found it. I discovered it after some clicks, from a link available at Sanctum Hermeticum Revisited

Disregarding that he wants a constant effect, if he crafted the effect/item himself it would not cause Warping, regardless of magnitude (AM p168).

However, including an Intellego requisite to the effect to detect if the approaching metal/wood/whatever is coming in fast would accomplish this.

Alternatively, you could add in a second Intellego effect to the item that would detect incoming fast objects (you would die if you were slowly pressed against a spear, but an incoming violent attack would set it off) and have the defensive effect be of Mom duration but with unlimited use and a Linked Trigger.

dont want to stand out? just add an immaginum effect and look like a local

Yair said the above quote, not me. It may sound silly, but you ought to fix it...I like to have my attribution correct. :wink:

I believe the concern around warping stemmed from the fact that not all magi will have the sufficient arts in ReTe or time to craft the robe, and thus might engage another magus to do so. In that case, the effect wouldn't be designed for him...however, referencing that page, I think your statement here is misleading...constant effects cause warping even if designed for the recipient. That's why Longevity Rituals begin adding warping. By having the effect on the robe alone, rather than the magus, that issue is bypassed in the eyes of some SGs, they agree that the spell protects the robe rather than the magus, so he's in no danger of warping (the robe on the other hand...). Other SGs might state that sort of logic is rubbish and impose the constant effect warping on a magus wearing the robe.

I think the point of debate here is range on the Intelligo effect-- how do you establish it? Personally, I feel an InTe effect with touch or personal is insufficient for proper activation, your magus would stabbed a lot. That's just me, but I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment. Allowing for that opinion, you would need to have an InTe effect with voice or sight-- and again, it would need to be constantly active, so you still run the chance of your SG warping you. However, you'd need to also give that object a magic sense to affect that range... all in all, we're talking about a much more intensive item than either the constant effect one or magus activated one.

As far as the ubiquity of such items, I think they would depend on the region, the strength of terram magi in the area and the general threat conditions prevalent. Some Tytalus might consider such an item inappropriate. A magus with a strong sense of romantic chivalry might also consider it unacceptable. A hoplite might find it absolutely mandatory while a spirit-magus might see it as superfluous and a redcap might find it useful, but not as great a priority as an item that permitted very frequent uses of Leap of Homecoming or 7LS. Against blessed weapons of true crusaders it might be nothing more than an embroidered robe. Without penetration added to the wards the wearer still stands a chance of being wounded by enchanted weapons. There are a lot of factors to consider, but yes, they are saga dependent.

And I still think the protective vest with the Mythic equivalent of a pantyhose mask looks ridiculous. I can envision certamens to remove it, or distrust from those who interact with the one wearing it. I'm not suggesting it's not feasible, just silly and certain to draw more attention than the hooded robe would-- and not for much more in terms of protection.

-Ben.

In our saga, and this probably varies quite a bit, those associated with the church tend to see through such illusions without too much effort, and then you've really gotten their attention because you were trying to hide in the first place.

It's a tricky choice...a lot of times you'll be able to wander about without a hitch, but when it fails...well, honestly, I prefer mundane methods of concealing my magus whenever possible.

-Ben.

As Leonis pointed out, the issue is that you would be under a constant magical effect, just like a Longevity Ritual, so it doesn't matter whether you cast/crafted it yourself or not. It would still warp. OTOH, if the protective enchantment is put on the clothing, and you wear it, it interposes between your flesh and the attack, but you don't get warped, since the magic does not change your body.

This would be peculiar, to say the least. How would warping affect the robe ? :confused: :confused:

Yet other SGs and experienced players, such as yours truly, would regard this as malicious rule-lawyering to punish player (and character) creative cleverness. As far as I remember, being in contact with constant-effect enchanted items is not supposed to be a source of warping for a magus.

Why Tytalus, among all, should find objections with this ? This comment leaves me quite puzzled... :confused: :open_mouth:

I radically disagree about this. Mundane followers of chivalry find absolutely no issue with going to battle fully clothed in armor and wearing a shield. The enchantment merely duplicates the effects of a good armor.

Mostly true, but even spirit-magi who make frequent travel would appreciate the benefits of protection.

A blessing will avail them little, since it doesn't grant Penetration, I'd reckon (Noble's Parma, I have limited familiarity with RoP:D). A relic, a Saint's Blessing, or an effect from a Divine M/P would be necessary to grant penetration. OTOH, such weapons will have to penetrate the MR of the mage. 8)

Provided they defeat the parma. Some especially paranoid mages might add some penetration, most will trust their Parma and not bother. The purpose of this enchantment is not keeping the rare magical weapon at bay, it is to make the magus as efficiently protected from mundane attacks as he is vs. magical ones thanks to Parma and Forms.

It may look silly and ridiculous if you think of it in terms of spandex. if you think of it in terms of a ninja-like two-pieces cloth long-sleeved jacket and long-legged pants with boots and a hood with a cloth veil or mask, it doesn't look silly or ridiculous at all. Morevoer, you can easily wear it under a robe or traveling cloak, and if you feel you are safe enough, you can pull the veil/mask away from the face at least only momentarily to allow people recognize you (e.g. at a Tribunal).

Moreover, I feel all this dogged insistence that mages should mandatorily wear dress-like robes more than a bit silly, if you ask me. There's nothing in the Peripheral Code or Church canons forbidding pants, and they have been part of the European fashion since Roman times, at least in cold climates, thanks to Celts and Germans.

I have done a rendition of the protective suit which looks much more at home with fantasy/Middle Age chothing than Supermage. If someone would be so kind as to help me upload it :blush:

Argh, trying to post the Heromachine code totally warps the thread :frowning:

Very, very true.

I can definitely see Hermetic magi using amulets and robes of protection or whatnot, and it seems the power level involved is probably around ReTe 50. I have no problem with that, although I wouldn't give such an item to every magus or even every hoplite.

Regarding fashion, I like the image of robe-wearing magi. :slight_smile: I certainly see magi as a diverse bunch, however, and at Tribunal a Tremere magus wearing a black robe may rub shoulders with a Jerbiton in pants (a merchant's attire), a Bjornaer dressed in a cloak of bearskin, a disciple of the Cult of Mithras dressed in full religious regalia, and a Criamon wrapped by a Roman toga... just as (more or less) stereotypical examples.

Just to clarify my position a bit further,

I agree the precedent of Break the Oncoming Wave could be used as a reasonable guideline to allow not-coverall clothing to repel attacks at a short distance, and thus fully protect the wearer, regardless of the clothing's exact shape.

I have focused on developing the cover-all clothing as an alternative solution for two reasons, but I really I'm not averse to the BtOW solution:

a) Ninja-like coverall two-pieces provides an easily-developed alternative that allows the full-protection, no-warping defense even if the SG does not buy the BtOW argument (OTOH, I do not regard trying to inflict warping from the enchanted clothing as an acceptable interpretation of the RAW: it is rules-lawyering at its worst).

b) I'm all for pants for my male mage characters as a fashion statement. I rather dislike robes.

Send me the code, I'll do it

EDIT:
Here's wanderer's picture. Any clothing in black-blue is enchanted.

Ahhhh yes, the Cable Guy ca 1220 :wink:

Anytime better looking a blue collar than wearing a dress. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, color is uniformly blue to help discern what is enchanted as the cloth-suit of perotection and whatnot. In reality, you can color it as you like. As you can see, it is quite easy to wear it as the innermost strate of clothing, under a tunic, shirt, cloak, or whatever (yeah, even your despicable robes).

Minor note: the left hand should have gripped a talisman staff. Heromachine bug striked again. :frowning:

Nah, what really happened was your confraternity mates thought it would be funny to throw in a Ward against wood for April fools day. :wink:

Puting up a ward vs wood AND placing the guy in the middle of a forest? Sounds like fun. Pinball anyone?

Xavi

That would explain his floating around...