ROLL CALL: Write a (hermetic) book

Understanding a Man

A deep but difficult summa about Corpus that often leaves the reader somewhat nauseated. The author describes magically manipulating the human body in a poetry that is dark, perverse, somewhat childish, and yet strangely elegant. Moreover, the detail that the author goes into could probably add to one’s education in Chirurgy and Medicine (or, possibly, Craft: Butcher).
The author was ejected from House Jerbiton despite his great skill at Longevity Rituals and his noble connections but found a home with a small tradition of necromancers in Ex Miscellanea. Three years after that, all six other magi of that tradition, including their newest fresh-out-of-Gauntlet tyro, declared Wizard’s War on him at the same time. The author was killed, but at the cost of the lives of four of the six. The author’s lab was burned to the ground, the covenant moved, and the land given to the Church.

Suggested values: Corpus Summa L(amongst the best) Q("sound"), Tractatus Chirurgy Q("vain" to "sound"), Medicine Q("vain" to "sound")

An Apprentice’s Examination

The author is a Bonisagus censured by his House for taking too many apprentices – and then selling them to magi of other Houses for silver. The problem was so bad that all the remaining magi in his Tribunal refused to take any apprentices until the next Grand Tribunal (which was then 30 years away) and, further, declared they would work to get the Lex Hermae altered to remove House Bonisagus’ privilege. Not believing the magi would be successful, the Bonisagus continued until the Primus of the House invited him to Durenmar for consultations. As the story goes, the auhor was told "Ah, yes, he's in the Forum of Hermes and would like you to join him right away in a special ritual." He entered the Forum and discovered that both Bonisagus Queasitors (with their Hoplites) as well as the other Bonisagus archmagi were also there. The Primus said he would declare the magus Orbus unless and until he gave up the apprentice privilege permenantly and provided an excellent summa on Magic Theory to the covenants that felt wronged. The Primus also stated that, should the author decide to stay in the House, competent research assistants would be found for him when necessary.
And this text really is exceptional. An average debater at Tribunal, the author does appear to have been an exceptional author and teacher. The depth and scope of this text rivals the best generally available.

Suggested values: Magic Theory summa L(very high) Q(excellent), Order of Hermes Lore tractatus Q(very good).

The Blood of Fools and Nobles

A weighty text discussing the effects of Corpus magic on the Sanguine Humor. It takes two seasons of study to fully digest this text. The author makes reference to three other texts covering the other humors but they’re not in the Covenant collection.

Suggested values: Corpus tractatus x2 Q(good)

Hi all,

I am sorry to distract from your productive work, but I want to say I am DEEPLY disappointed at your collective decision not to use Project: Redcap to host your project(s). In fact, no one has so far even bothered to post a link to their Wikis or to this forum thread on the Project: Redcap site.

The whole point of making Project: Redcap into a wiki was so the fan community could have a place to post and share their work. This is really the first time I have seriously wondered if it was worth the bother.

If you ever reconsider, you'd be more welcome at Project: Redcap. But the only way Project: Redcap is going to be relevant is if people use it.

Best regards,

Andrew Gronosky
Project: Redcap

Woah man! Easy. Andrew, I think you are overreacting. This is a forum project and is done in the forum where it sprang into existence.Once finished, the whole "create a starter covenant" project can be moved to redcap.org, but at least I do not like wikis as working spaces AT ALL. I find them clunky and difficult to use despite the efforts of Arthur to enlighten me in their arcane workings. It might be me, but I prefer to work in a forum to draw idas from the collective minds of the posters, and then to use them in my efforts. And they are doing great as a source of ideas, I might add :slight_smile: I prefer a plain WORD document to collect stuff and work, and to place my efforts in my blog for further consideration. THEN, when it is finished, I will ask if anyone wants to host it, be it Atlas Games in PDF format or Project:redcap. Then it can be uploaded there :slight_smile: As a working space for a multi-person project, I find a forum to be a better alternative than a wiki.

Hope that clears my position. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Xavier

I would like to point out that the Light of Andorra saga has a wiki, linked to Redcap, which includes a massive library entry. As well as many character designs, a bestiary, new spells, and much much more.

Here is the Andorra wiki, and a direct link to our Library.
Here is the link to Project Redcap. the page discussing Iberia and links to Iberian sagas, and the Tribunal discussion page where I wrote up a summary of the 3rd Edition Iberia Book and how to incorporate it into a 5th edition game.

+1 Xavi

Sorry Andrew, but at least for me , by now, its nothing done... Yet

I recognise the work P:R did/do but dont be mad, and dont even dare to rule on others work.

By my own i borrow you the rigth to link, copy or if we agree develop in P:R the guidelines, spell desings, tractaty/summae. Ideas of my authory. But that its me and that its now.

Thank you for your work and if you are so kind to post a "How to" i swear i will try to upload/link something.

Well, the fact that something went horribly wrong and my message got posted to the wrong thread has a lot to do with that. :blush: I meant that to go over here.

Interesting. I would say I have strong feelings to the opposite -- I think wikis are much better collaborative spaces than forums are.

Please consider, though, that even while you do development here, it would make a lot of sense to add Redcap links to your work-in-progress. Why wait until it's "done" before sharing it with the broader community? I think there is a big opportunity for cross-pollination here, with the wiki drawing people into the forum collaboration, and the forum discussions helping guide development and organization of the wiki.

Occult Numbers

Tractatus Artes Liberales Q5
Tractatus Magic Theory Q5

While not a great writer, the author passes on a Mastery technique for using Ceremonial techniqes in formulaic magic, previously the purview of a few followers of esoteric mysteries. Given the fact that no one has killed him since publishing his text, it doesn't appear that he has violated any particular mystical vow. Of course, the author is also known as one to go to for casting tablets for powerful wards...

Because I just like it this way :slight_smile: I work like this in my job, and I guess old habits die hard. And I have no idea on how to put stuff in a wiki, so that is a barrier to entry as well. Dunno about Arthur, Timothy or the others (I know I am missing someone but can't find who) but so far it seems that the way we are working is to build a frame each and then we plan to share it "once more or less ready". You can comment no problem right now. I know I am not paying them much attention yet since I am working in my own stuff, but intend to comment on their own developments in the future. I have no problems with this whole thing being uploaded to the wiki once I am happy with what I have worked on, but prefer to keep it tidy until then.

I have your library bookmarked already Marko :wink: Thanks for ponting it out again in any case since it is a great resource. :smiley:

Great books everyone :slight_smile: I am getting a lot of ideas from you all. However, I do not think I made myself clear here.
My idea was like this: I am Xavi, I work as a consultant in air transport. What would I write if I was a magus:

"Flying in the wake of the storm: Using man-made props for Magical transport"
by Xavier of Flambeau Auram tractatus Q6.
This fairly strange and somewhat dull tractatus discusses a multiplicity of methods of flying using props, and how they would interact with Auram wind spells to propel them across the sky. The book offers some innovative approaches, talking about thrust and leverage and how certain shapes seem to be more airborne than others, but is not the easiest text to read, specially as the book keeps moving around: The book is enchanted and hoovers at mid air when opened, trembling slightly as if under great stress. Reading it in a strong wind (man made or otherwise) stops the trembling, but poses other challenges to the reader.

Cheers,
Xavi

Hello i'm Guiem and i work in investigation in an astronomical observatory and in divulgation in a planetarium.
If i had to write everything i want.... i would just die half way through.

"Oculum caelum & mens paratus" or
By Joanes Willermus Ex Criamon. Bulk of 3 tractati:
Intelego Q14 & Awareness Q14 & Area lore: Regiones 14
( what? I bougth the good teacher virtue! :mrgreen: )

Those tractati offers an aproach ( blatantly blasfeme) about how to percieve and undestrand through the exposicion of observational facts that the world is much more than what it seems.

After study those 3 tractati in a row and dedicate a season to study those as a whole you shall obtain the virtue Second sigth and the hability second sigth at 1 . If thereso you shall also obtain the flaw Driven: Curiosity

If you study those during your aprenticeship you shall obtain Second sight in ordeal with Knowing-it-all

The dosage is one per season, never exeed the prescripted dosage, in case of overdose assist to the local meeting point for housewifes and listen untill your preexistent headache is replaced by another. In case of doubt consult your parens.

"The Master of Reality" by Archmagus Marko Markoko of Tytalus[sup]1[/sup]
Mentem Tractatus, Quality 12 (Com +3, Good Teacher)[sup]2[/sup]
[tab][/tab]This book is based on the theory that the mind is the key to controlling reality, in that by controlling the way others think and perceive you, you set into motion events that make these things actual and real. It exposits crackpot theories such as "Frame Control" and "Fake it until you Make it", and so on. Basically, all social reality is a big mind game, and the mentalist has the edge. However, everything in the book is contradicted by his next Mentem Tractatus entitled "Wisdom of a Humble Mind". In even later works he renounces the ideas in all of his earlier materials as frivolous rambings of his youth, and adopts a more pragmatic yet ethical approach to the use of Mentem.

[sup]1[/sup][size=85]Yes, I know I am traditionally known as that Flambeau guy. But if we are talking about a magus based on the actual me, as opposed to the magus I would want to be if I were a magus, then I look at myself and see a Tytalus. And I am the one that calls them a bunch of deranged lunatics, so... :smiling_imp: [/size]
[sup]2[/sup][size=85]As for the High Quality, it is my fantasy, so deal with it :mrgreen: [/size]

Ok, we open up the question to include the magus you would like to be". So feel free to post the book that the magus you would like to be would write :slight_smile:

Take in mind that I might edit the quality and scope of the works being provided since, as you can see at the start of this thread, the book Quality of the books in Iusto Foedere's librarty is not as high as the ones you are providing! And I do not think that Com +3 to +5 AND Good teacher should be as prevalent as they seem to be in this thead :mrgreen:

"Mystical Significance of the Divine Symmetries: A treaty on arcane numerology" by Comcas Jerbitonis
Artes Liberales tractatus of poor level (say, 02) and either poor or good quality (say, Com +2).
Can also be studied as a Guile summa of good level and quality.

This book discusses the relationship between numbers and magic, and vaguely hints at both rotes and hermetic architecture. Its author, Comcas Jerbitonis, is known to be tied to hermetic architects and has something of a reputation as a scholar, despite having never done any impressive or non (core) hermetic work.

As such, this book, his first one, was clearly a threat. It failed to deliver.
It is strangely written, with a few passages that explain clearly what they mean to discuss, interseeded with pages of complicated charts and impressive sentences that evoque great knowledge, but, once deciphered, appear as pure verbiage. Those who ignore these will quickly read the book, easily learning the few useful information it has (AL tractatus, good quality). Those who try to understand them will only lose their time (AL tractatus, poor quality).

As such, most magi who've read it have mixed impressions of the book. Some seeing it as best as a very "entry-level" book, at worst as a waste of time, whereas others insist that it holds deeper insights into Hermetic Numerology, insights they simply fail to understand. This is false: So far as Mysteries and Artes liberales go, it is only, at best, a good book for apprentices.
Of course, this is only true for those who don't get the book's true meaning: The "useless" parts show how one can use select keywords and weave them together to bluff his way, fooling people into believing he's much more knowledeagle than he really is, whatever the subject (Guile summa).

Comcas is actually a fraud, who used his charm and guile to worm his way into not one, but 2 different mystery cults, learning only the barest skills necessary, escheving painful and debilitating mystery initiations, yet managing to divert some of the cult's ressources towards him, in no small part by impressing the cult's leaders. So far, he has yet to be exposed.

Oh, you noticed too? :unamused: :laughing:

Two points of Xavi's could be coming from resonances, which means he might have Com 1 + Good Teacher.
The bulk of texts should be in the Q8-Q11 range...

Meh, the way I write, I'd be Q5 at best. :-/

Imagine a tractatus with Q -2. The more you read, the confuseder you get...

So... You also read my university former teacher's book.... Interesting... :unamused:

Hi, I'm Kurt and I work in product testing with secondary interests in a number of areas.

Modes of Destruction, a primer
By Magister Kurt of House Verditius

L11 Q17 Summa on Perdo, Tractatus Artes Liberales (arithmatic) Q8, Tractatus Magic Theory Q8

Resonant materials:
-- Cover: A cemented amalgam of the crushed remains of several (flawed) enchanted devices collected from lab experiments
-- Binding: Copper wire from an intelligo terram device, collected from an adventure that left the poor magus somewhat (more) warped.
Glossed by another member of his peculiar lineage
Illuminated by an expert

This text is described as a primer and is by no means one of the best Perdo summae ever written (but not vain in quality). It is, however a somewhat more advanced text than the title describes. It explores destruction of things in a very organized and controlled way with much time spent outlining various lab methodologies and describing a number of enchanted devices. The author spends little time dealing with Herbam, Imaginem, Aquam, and Corpus magics (though his methods are generally applicable) and dwells fulsomely on Terram and Vim. He does show the relationship between Rego techniques that lead to distruction -- say, dropping something from a great hieght -- but the text is truly focussed on Perdo.

That said, he does introduce the reader to a strange idea that he has where he claims that one can use numbers to predict behavior of targets under preddue from Perdo magics (largely dismisssed by the Order). He does tie it in neatly with his experiences in the lab, however, and he outlines some enchanted items to accomplish this effect.

Great book. Thanks!

Thanks to Xavi I have been thinking... Maybe would be great to write a summa about:...

Didactica puerilis
Joanes Willermus Ex Criamon

When fostered a Tytalus's appentice, that was more dead than alive the day she arrived, he faced a unthrusty, wrathfull, naughty nine years old beast. The price agreed were two pawns of Intellego. The girl was pretty unable to listen or even pay attention for an span larger than three heartbeats. Anyway with calm and patience he managet to get closer, and make her open. She begun to pay attention and slowly she discovered that really enjoyed learning...

Ending her first moon of study she gave the criamon a precious gift, she laughed... In that very moment Joanes Willermus noticed that was the first time that he heard her laughfing. He could not recall a single smile of that girl until this very moment.

Day after day the girl were improving, and enjoying learning. That was so that even changed her mood.
In the season last week he noticed that, that half tammed ginger curly head war beast, developed the Apt student Virtue.

He became so fond of her, that offered to the Tytalus to buy the aprentice... Although he reffused. Also offered another season of teaching at a reduced price...

The Tytalus simply took her and disapeared.

Five years later a hooded woman came to visit Joanes Willermus. He ignored her identity... Until he noticed a ginger lock of curly hair Sticking out the hood. He greet her and invited to pass. Her parens was hunted down in a wizzards war, and somehow she managed to survive. She asked him to end her aprenticeship. After chatting a while and seeing her smile he agreed. 2 years later she passed her gauntlet and took her own path.

The criamon decided after that wrote a summa of teaching, to share his experience and transmit the comprehension of those little aprentices. And just following a tractatus of apendix and corollaries.

To whom who read the whole summa and the apendix, and teaches applying those methods for 10 seasons is oppened the possibillity to learn "Good Teacher". You can dedicate a whole season of work to any student and teach him/her "apt Student".

( choose the lvls and qualities the best to fit your saga)