ROP Faeries is out

Ok. Got through some of it last night. Very cool so far. I particularly like the details regarding fae and Vis. I'm about to start a Normandy campaign and it gave me some ideas for Vis sources. I had an idea of a BYOB tavern in a fae aura with the idea that if you bring some ale and spend the night with the denizens, telling stories of your travels, by the next morning whatever ale wasn't consumed is imbued with vis. I think this works as a 'trade' for the fae. Am I right in thinking that a trade of this type would probably be necessary to get vis from a fae source without causing harm to them? (I know I have more reading to do.)

Mine! Mine! It is mine and all mine!

I've been skimming through the book when and where I can. It looks interesting. I must applaude whoever came up with the flaw of Homunculus Wizard. Very cool and evil.

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the table of contents? Mine seems to be off by 2 pages for everything listed.

I noted the same on my post Tuesday.

My supposition is that the page numbers in the index were not recalculated when the index was expanded. It happens.

Yes, you need to give fair value, from their twisted perspective, for what you get.

And fair value faerie style can be anything from what normal people would consider silly cheap to hideously unfair demands.

In short, whatever suits the SG. :smiling_imp:

You seem to have noticed a deliberate intention of SG evil...

I have a question for Erik Dahl, if he happens to read this entry.

The Merinita chapter in Houses of Hermes: Mystery Cults was released almost three years before Realms of Power: Faerie.

Now that RoP:F is written, is there anything in the Merinita chapter you wish you could go back and change?

Thanks,
-Dave

Hi Dave. Um, hmm... not sure how to answer this. There shouldn't be anything I would feel needed to change for consistency, because the material in later books is supposed to match the material in the previous ones. Also, the Faerie realm stuff for House Merinita is always mixed with at least a little bit of Magic realm; they're never entirely independent because Merinita magae are just as much magical as faerie. Faerie book powers are all faerie, if you see what I mean. (Well, except for the homunculi, but they're just coming at it from the other direction...) If the order of them was reversed, I might have changed the names of some of the powers, like Glamour, or the Symbol R/D/Ts. Also, it might have been a good idea to clarify that Becoming is an ongoing process that can't be put off indefinitely once it's started. But no, I can't think of anything that I regret writing in Mystery Cults. Uh, are you thinking of something specific?

No, I wasn't really looking for any kind of specific answer. The question just popped into my head. I don't know the real time gap between when you wrote the two manuscripts; as a gamer/buyer, I only see the three year separation.

If it were me, I bet there'd be a whole bunch of things where I'd be saying "Doh! I wish I thought of that three years ago when I was writing ___".

I think that this is the Realms book that I most eagerly anticipated, as I wanted to see the official take on how to handle things like the gods of the Greek and Norse pantheons. I like the 45-degree slant of the material away from the more traditional portrayal of the fae mostly fitting the light/dark summer/winter framework.

I also think this is the most "GM & player friendly" of the four realms books. I find this material to be most useful, at least for games I have in mind.

Anyway, thanks for the very prompt reply. That's customer service! :slight_smile:

I've started reading Realms of Power: Faerie and am thrilled with it. It is packed full of good ideas which are inspiring yet matches my own feelings about how the realm should be closely enough that I feel very comfortable with it. I long to adventure using the new book.
Many congratulations to all concerned!

Uh? It can't? I thought the option was right there, and saw no hints of the contrary. Could you help me (us?) read between the lines and clarify here on the forum?

I'm not Erik Dahl but I think the idea that one can transform their body and then live indefinitely as a normal magus is strikingly cheesy. the Becoming should be about becoming a faerie not cherry picking the game mechanics you want for power. Yet if it is sensible to do only one or two of the rituals it is difficult to justify any reason in game why the character shouldn't indulge in this cheese, hence it becomes necessary to add that you can't just go half way, once you start you need to eventually see the process through to the end.

Hmm, I fail to see your point. Each of the three parts of the magus (body, mind and spirit) can be "transformed" separately, and indeed each transformation is individually balanced as it carries both benefits and problems. For example, the agelessness (and resistance to fatigue) provided by transformation of the body carries the substantial penalty that you may not willingly spend fatigue (including for spontaneous casting). This is perfectly in line with the limitations provided by other "agelessness" mystical paths in the books, from Immortality of the Forest (leave the forest and start aging again) to various Criamon paths (aptness and stuff) to the Zoroastrian ritual (keep the faith - and get damage resistance in addition to agelessness).

In terms of "thematic" sense, literature is full of examples of heroes (and villains) that have "changed" this part or that of their selves (mind, body and/or soul) in a bargain for greater power, but that generally remain at least partly human. So I do not see a problem with "poetic justice" or "cheesiness" either.

Hmm. I hope I do not sound too argumentative: I really do not want to defend a position, it's just that I've so far failed to see any arguments of why it's not a reasonable position or, more importantly, why it defeats the "spirit" of the writeup in HoH:MC. In fact, the comment by Erik Dahl has taken me quite by surprise, and I wanted to understand if I had missed something.

If I may, his point is that, to him (and to me as well), if a mage wants to Become, they want to Become. Despite there being stages to the Becoming, they don't want to just "Become a little bit", or "Become part way". And despite any ongoing balance within each sub-step, that's the "cherry picking" mentality, to take only the sub-stages that appeal as balanced.

Becoming is a desire to change, completely - it's not (intended to be) like a wardrobe, where you only like the hat.

OTOH, Ezzelino has a very good point that even a half-transformation, where you change the body only, or the body-soul only, is inherently balanced in and of itself, and I would add, not radically different in metaphysical framework from being an alchemical immortal human. Even in that case, you have a basically magical being, which yet maintains some of the features of human nature, and is not as limited as vanilla magical beings (including humans who became magical by other means). If Alchemical magical immortals are self-sustaining, why can't very similar half-Become faerie immortals be the same ?

It seems to be that the main difficulty came from the fact that Becoming was originally developed by Quendalon and his ilk, who were honest faerie groupies and wished to become faeries in full, despite the static drawbacks of that nature. All good, but it is far from unreasonable to assume that other Merinita offshoots, more interested in having an suitably optimized faerie-based path to immortality, and not in experiencing unfiltered faeriedom in full, would develop a variant of Becoming, by which a mage can sustain turning the body and/or the soul indefinitely. It's not really any more unbalanced, in a OOC game or iC metaphysical sense, than being a Great Elixir immortal.

I would suggest that this is a game mechanic that stems from a lengthy process being broken down into parts, subsections, and the desire to have each bear its share of disadvantages, rather than insert yet another incentive for delays in finishing the process (to have all the disad's heaped up only at the end.)

"Basically" in the sense that it can do "magical stuff", but suddenly has one foot in the Magical Realm, and one in the Faerie Realm with regard to its magic - which is not generally how AM works.

It's not heresy, it's just another case of players making assumptions that are not clearly supported by the RAW. And that's the only truly important distinction - that they should not then point to the rules and claim their interpretation is based off of inarguable canon.

I apologize for my brevity on that quick response, but I was referencing discussions that have come up before here on the forums. Basically, as a storyguide and player, I prefer that Becoming feels like embarking on a journey down a magical path with a beginning and an end, the end being the completion of the three stages of the process, thus transforming into a faerielike creature in mind, body and spirit. I suggested that a way to do this might be for the storyguide-- after a generous amount of time-- to have characters who start down the path but stop at some point begin to feel their awakened faerie nature assert itself, a yearning to complete the process that compels them to proceed to the next step.

(Or, if despite their partial and incomplete "faerie" change, if the Character is still being played as before (i.e. "human"), perhaps it should start to revert.) 8)