RSS mod installed

Hi all,

First, thank you for your patience on getting this. It took some time to learn the new system, including how to install mods. (I apologize for the brief unexpected outage on the forums today because of this.) But we now have RSS on the forums. Here are the details:

RSS Feed Parser in Conjunction with Feeds Everywhere
W3C Feed Validation Service

Feature list :

• RSS for the entire board.
  • RSS for all forum.
  • RSS for all topics.
  • RSS for all post.
  • RSS for Single Forum and/or Topics.
  • RSS for News topics.
  • RSS for New posts.
  • RSS for Attachments.
  • Adjustable length of messages to display.
  • Adjustable size of feeds.
  • Option to display Attachments.
  • Hides private forums.
  • Excluded forums.
    And more...

Tested on Windows Browsers:

• Internet Explorer 7.0
  • Mozilla Firefox 2.0
  • Mozilla Firefox 3.0
  • Chrome with RamIsp applet
  • Opera 9.5
  • Safari 3.0
  • Netscape 9

We may not turn on all of these but the mod seems pretty solid and didn't take too long to get up and running. As always, please let me know if you have any issues with it. Best to email me: forum at atlas-games.com . Thanks.

-Wendy

Great! Thanks a lot.

So how exactly do we subscribe - I can't seem to find a button like the way RSS was handled on the old forums.

Thanks,

Lachie

Good Question:

There are two ways:
First, in the URL bar at the top of your browser there should be an RSS Icon which gives you lots of choices of what to subscribe to.
Second, on the main page and forum pages, there is a new RSS icon in the middle of each row for forums and topics. Just click on that.

One note: with further testing, this RSS mod doesn't seem to be compatibile with Macs... soo it looks like I might need to find a new one, which means that I would then un-install this one. I apologize in advance for the extra trouble that this might cause you guys. Until we decide what to do about this issue, I am leaving this mod in place so that atleast the PCs have something for now. Thanks.

-Wendy

The RSS appears to be compatible with Macs, but the mod seems to be logging me out at random points. I don't have enough data to tell you whether there's a pattern yet, so I'll update you later.

Solved my first Mac-related problem ...

On a Mac running Firefox, if you click on the RSS icon and aren't taken to the RSS page (ie. you just see a blank page instead), go to Firefox>Preferences>Applications>Web Feed and select "Preview in Firefox."

I'm still having problems with actually subscribing to the feed manually, though. In Thunderbird when I go to Tools>Account Settings>News & Blogs>Manage Subscriptions>Add and paste in the RSS URL, it finds the feed, starts downloading messages, then gets stuck at 9 of 11 messages and just sits there. When I exit out, it seems to have added a folder for the feed, but the feed itself isn't viable.

It seems to be working OK with my Mac, I haven't had the dropout issues that David describes but I've only been logged in for an hour...

Thanks Wendy!

Lachie

I've just been dropped out again, so by comparing the timestamps on these posts you can get some idea of how long the log-in lasted. I'm using Safari as my web browser, by the way, and NetNewsWire to read the RSS feeds, so it's quite possible that the problems are related to particular Mac software.

I'm using Firefox and (Apple) Mail respectively if that helps to isolate things.

I'm also only signed up to 2 feeds so far that haven't generated any new posts, so I'll sign up to this thread and see what happens.

Seemed to work OK in Mail, just loaded 7 messages to an RSS folder.

Regards,

Lachie

Solved my second problem ...

The RSS mod's developer asked us to change a setting (turned off pagination), and now it seems to work fine in Thunderbird on my Mac. Woot!

I've been looking into David's issue a bit, and reset our cookies to see if that helps.

David, please make sure your cookies are ON in Safari (Edit > Preferences > Security (tab) > Accept cookies > Always > tick), and try deleting any old Atlas Games cookies currently in your browser (the old one was called "phpbb3_somethingorother"). If Safari has a cookie whitelist ability, add the new cookie called "AtlasGamesPHPBB3". Then let us know if you're still having the same trouble.

It doesn't sound like something the RSS mod would have an impact on, incidentally. Is anyone else having similar issues?

It works fine with firefox 3.5.2, many thanks for this feature! :smiley:

Would it be possible not to show the poster email adress in the RSS items please?

At the moment it is displayed next to the poster forum name, just below the subject (or post) title in every RSS item.

We'll look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.