Saga and Covenant Development discussion

I'd like to think that some of the characters had existing relationships prior to retreating to Finland. I'm not necessarily thinking deep personal ties, but at least a collegial professional relationship. Perhaps a long-standing correspondence or that sort of thing. I'd be perfectly willing to have Galan have some kind of connection with one (or more) of the other magi. It seems to me that having some kind of personal connection like that would be the basis for the basic level of trust. HE could certainly be one of the magi that Calpurnia corresponded with.

Why go to FInland? Well, because it looks like a safe place to go. There are few enough safe places to go in Mythic Europe these days. THe thought of losing the Gift should be terrifying to a magus. That kind of threat would make the unthinkable thinkable. Galan doesn't have the benefit of being from Finland the way Angarr is. But he's willing to go anywhere so long as it has the potential to be safer than central Mythic Europe.

Is Angarr right to be suspicious of the magi's motivations? Well, yes and no. Yes, the only reason that they probably came to Finland was because of the plague. But some of them may be going all in, trying to make the best of a bad situation and getting invested in the local area. I think it'll be a good dynamic for Angarr to work out how the various magi feel about the move.

One of the things I'd wanted most out of this development process is a focus on the covenant first, rather than characters, because it is harder to build a covenant rather than characters, since it requires a lot of player interaction, or simply SG fiat. I realize that I'm asking the players to create a covenant that isn't actually formed, yet and that it will be something more like a spring covenant. However, the boons and hooks do tie together nicely, and you can, as players, say that your characters have uncovered research on your selected site that matches most of your selected boons and hooks.

The covenant is yours, unless you take boons or hooks that specifically allow me to be sneaky with respect to the covenant, I'm not going to throw anything at you. I'm not planning to do a lot of exploring of the covenant, either, unless you take boons and hooks that suggest it is necessary. The world outside that covenant is mine, and it will be rough enough, and players will see their magi driven from their covenant enough that it will make the covenant seem like a safe place to be. It's a place to be a respite from the world for the magi and the covenfolk. The covenant that the players design will, by and large, be the ones that they live with. The vis sources, described by build points will be within easy reach of harvesting from the covenant and will not be contested, unless so designed by the players. If the covenant has insufficient vis sources, you will have to hunt for more, if you want stories about vis hunts, that's great, I suggest leaving a vis source out, if you want that and letting me know in some way that you, as a player are interested in that. We can always explain a way that a vis source the magus thought was there really wasn't, or it's dried up, or something to that effect, to cover the reason why a magus would relocate to a location that doesn't have his preferred vis source.

I think, all of the covenant is more or less designed, but I want to make sure that all of the players are happy with it, and I do want to get more of the backstory of how you know each other. Again, since this is tied to the covenant, it's more a matter of your design than mine. My mention of Frosty Breath wasn't meant to describe that it was something that you had to submit to, but more a matter of explaining how magi could be secure in deciding to come together in a new covenant. You can, as players, decide how you come together and how you trust (or don't as IBT has mentioned) the other magi.

I've already answered that, but in short for Bartholomeus it is basically desperation. He's tried joining a covenant, only to be turned away. He's tried living by himself, only to be attacked.

All that's left is joining other magi in a similar situation and creating a new covenant outside of the Order's borders. For him there are a number of positive factors as well. He's met Calpurnia before, as well as Atlas and/or Angarr while living at Three Lakes. So he has at least a modicum of trust there. He is also somewhat familiar with the locale, having lived in Novgorod for over a decade. He's got the spells to survive in the cold environment and his familiar is also suitable.

I'm good with the covenant's design. :slight_smile:

Tacitus will have been following a Tremere contingency plan - he has checked the plan for what he is supposed to do, and where he can go. The plan would involve finding a fellow Tremere with a means of transport and going to the edge of the order - Thyra's flying boat fits the bill perfectly, and this site in Finland is remote enough to look right while being close enough to forests and vis sources that Tacitus will be happy.

Small point - the only flying boat I know of is mine. Did you contact me in order to arrange transport?

I would have tried to contact Tremere at covenants on the way, asking if they were travelling North any time soon. If Thyra made it known she was planning to travel to Finland, Tacitus would have turned up as soon as possible with his books and vis in a sack over his shoulder.

I'm trying to tie my character to others in this group. I know Bartholomeus. Can I assume that Thyra or Tacitus made inquiries to other Houses so that they would have more diversity? Ex Miscellanea and Mystery Cults each have unique magic, Bonisagi are generally experts in Magical Theory. A wide range of talents, as well as more magi, would improve the chances for survival.

Just to be specific and clear: pyrale, ironboundtome, do you want to tie in your magi's background in some way to Bartholomeus during the period when he was at Three Lakes covenant (from 1247 to 1256 A.D.)?

Yes that would be ideal. Agnarr was seeking snippets of connection to the lives of the northerners so that might be a connection for communications, also he would welcome any regular discussions on magic.

I'm looking for any connection I can for Galan, though so far I have nothing concrete with anyone.

Are any of the magi up for a connection with a Bonisagus? I was thinking he could have had a friendly correspondence with one or more of the magi and was recruited as a potential asset to the covenant.

Sure, Calpurnia would have certainly written you. Perhaps we used the same person to increase our Intelligence stat?

Would it work in your background that Bartholomeus consulted with Agnarr when he started looking for a familiar in Novgorod? That would have happened between 1247 and 1249 A.D. (13 to 11 years before saga start). Over that period Bartholomeus picked up some Area Lore: Novgorod, Language: Finnish, Magic Lore and Survival. So Agnarr may have been the one who taught Bartholomeus some of that.

Sounds perfect, done!

I'm working on build points now. Is any one aware of deficiencies I should look to shore up?

Autocrat and Turb captain? Or not, and we have a story about how we recruit them.

Everything else seems fine.

All,

I think we are nearly done. Trogdor has updated our build sheet, and the only questions left are:

Jebrick has 40 unspecified build points,
Arthur has an undefined vis source worth 5 pawns/year.
Pyrale hasn't advanced his character, so I presume that if he joins, he's coming in as a freshly Gauntleted magus, and therefore has no build points.

Edit - Galan has spells that I've bought as Lab Texts, I'll change my choices to be unique. I hope we have plenty of vellum to write lab texts.

I could jigger around points a bit if we want an Autocrat or a Turb captain.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea.

I have 40 points so let me do that. Part of my story is Fengheld giving Thyra grogs.

I moved points around so that I'm bringing an autocrat with me.

I just defined it as a mix of Muto and Animal. I was waiting to see what the other player picked.