Scene 7: Thomas Residence, Tuen Mun

Huang bids goodbye to Mr. Thomas and then heads outside with the others in tow, making his way straight for the car.

Huang: If those hun dan haven't grabbed Sarah yet, we may still have time to stop them. Lord knows we've given them enough of a head start.

He stops at the shotgun side and gives Ming the glare.

Huang: And Ming, try to control yourself this time. We don't need to scare Sarah out of her wits if she's still there, and we've already got several people thinking that we've lost our minds. Don't add another to the list.

He gets in the car, waiting for the others to follow.

Ming impishly sticks her tongue out at Huang, then ducks into the driver's side and starts the engine.

Nic smiles at Ming Shi.

Nic: Yeah, be careful with that shotgun. I've already been gunned down by one partner today, and once is quite enough!

Laughing, Nic hops into the back seat, popping a new stick of ginseng gum into his mouth.

Nic: Guys, as a last resort, I'd like to come back here and do another scrying from Mingxia's bedroom. But that's only if we can't pick up the scent somewhere else. If I can get another glimpse of her, maybe I can see some other clues. I need a stronger connection to her, though, to really see her well. Hopefully, Sarah can point us in the right direction, though, because it seems like we're out of viable trails to follow.

Nic frowns as he has a thought. He quickly pulls out his cell phone and dials the number of Benny the sneaky journalist they'd met earlier in the Thomas' bushes.

Nic: Benny? It's Nic Bennet, HKPD. Hey, you know anything more about the disappearance of Mingxia Thomas than you did this morning?

Nic listens intently to the phone...

Benny: What? No, something bigger's some up. Mingxia is old news. There was some kind of explosion in a garage nearby. We're going with the terrorist angle- probably some kind of bomb-making factory. Witnesses heard gunfire, so we reckon the terrorists must have blown themselves up when they were raided. Real front page stuff. Don't suppose you have any comments on the matter?

Nic: What? Um... you're breaking up, Benny. Can't hear you anymore. Darn cell phone reception! Uh, thanks, anyway.

Nick hangs up.

Nic: Just so we know, the garage party this morning is being reported as self-immolating terrorists. At least there are no photos of us to explain to Richardson. See? Our day is improving!

As Ming pulls the car round a corner, it passes a newspaper stand showing the tautological headline: 'Crazed Madmen Immolates 9'. It's also showing a grainy but recognisable picture of Nic leaving the general store near the garages.

Huang sees the headline and the picture of Nic and his face takes on an I-hate-the-media grimace.

Huang: You were saying, Nic?

Ming: ... and there's still our used bullets to explain. The force keeps track of them, ya know.

Huang lights up a new smoke and rolls the window down a touch.

Huang: If Internal Affairs had experience in supernatural cases, this would be a hell of a lot easier. Though I'm still going to get yelled at by Richardson for those two bullets they had to take out of Nic. I can just hear the old man now. (imitating Richardson) "What the hell were you thinking, Huang?!"