Seasonal Activities and Advancement

I don't think I can edit that - am I just missing something I have to do?

I'm considering having Gregorius learn "Breaking the Captain's Baton", a PeMe 10 spell which removes the memory of how to command a trained group from an individual's mind.

There's a couple of approaches he could take to learning this:

1. Invent it from Scratch. His PeMe lab total at the start of Autumn 1230 is:
    Pe 0 + Me 10 + Int 1 + MT 5 + 5 Aura + 2 Lab GQ -3 Creative Block = 20.

So he could do it in a season without further study.

The alternative would be to request either that spell, or the higher level Dissolving the Wall of Shields (PeMe20, same spell but with Group target) as lab assistants from the Tremere, after sending back the Aegis casting tablet. This assumes they've got the spells available to loan, although they do look like the sort of thing the Tremere would be interested in.

try this link: Nova Castra Seasonal Activities and Advancement - Google Sheets

Closer, but no cigar - apparently I have to be logged in to a google account to edit it.

KTK - would you be happy with a wiki if we setup a basic page?
It would still require a login to be setup, however I think a few folk here have wiki-dot accounts already.

I think the problem with the Google doc is that the link pasted above is View Only access. You need to share a version that includes Edit access to whoever clicks on it.

I think I’ve made it editable now - can you check again?

I think that works now - thanks.

Thanks for the update! This is a huge benefit.
I'm going to update Timaios' character sheet here with the various seasons of study as listed on that sheet.

OK, I think I've finally got a handle on the advancement--and I see in the end we decided Viola could open Chryse's Arts without the help of another magus.

Salutor, I assume you're handling Chryse's advancement? We don't have a column for her in the Google spreadsheet.

Asena's activities are already planned out, so I don't have to worry about that.

Scott

I think @JesseHeinig is doing it (after she's statted)? That said, her advancement is likely to be heavily influenced by what Viola is telling her to do.

@JesseHeinig: have you got statting up Chryse in hand, and do you know when you'll be able to post a first draft? If you'd rather I did it (either because you don't want to play her at all anymore, or because you do want to play her but not to do the statting), do say so and I / someone else can have a go at statting her.

Replying here rather than in the Amazons thread as it's pretty much all OOC.

@MTKnife did you have a chance to look into spells for Asena? Thinking about it, there are a few different approaches that might be possible:

The Lion and the Lamb (PeAn 20)
Destroy an animal's fear of predatory animals.
(Base 5 + 1 Touch + 2 Sun)

Guardian of the Flock MuAn X
This spell changes any fear an animal might have of a canine in to a belief that it is dangerous but their protector, like a sheepdog to a flock of sheep.
Base 3/4 major / complete change to emotion + 1 Touch + 2 / 3 Sun / Moon duration.

Sooth the Frightened Steed ReAn 15 / 20
Keep an animal calm even in the face of danger.
Base 4 + 1 Touch + 2 Sun / +3 Moon

Several of those are based off the Mentem guidelines, so it's possible they should be shifted up or down for the transition to Animal. Completely control an animal is base 15 under ReAn vs base 25 under Mentem, which suggests if it does shift it's down.

Looking at Asena's character sheet, she's got no Perdo, 5 Muto, 7 Rego, 12 Animal and a mMF in canines. Int +2 + MT 3+1 + Au 5(?) = 11. So she can manage a level 15 spell in one season if it's Rego / Muto and within her area of focus, or a Rego one if it's outside it, but can't quite manage level 20 spells without some extra bonus (unless I'm missing something - not sure what her lab's like, but it may well have at least some bonus from the equipment?).

Moon would be substantially better than Sun as it means we don't have to worry about our horses suddenly starting to panic every evening and morning. But it is also obviously harder.

Proposed activities for Gregorius:

Learn to Ride. This isn't, frankly, something he really wants to be doing with his time, given that Tremere doctrine frowns on horses as a liability; however, given the company he's keeping it's starting to feel like a good idea.

His options for learning appear to be:

• Being trained for 6xp by a grog with a score of 3 in Ride (Aison or Damianos, probably Damianos), as I don't think their Latin will have got up to the point of them sharing a common language (it's score of 2 in 1228, will probably have got to 3 by the time they're advanced)
  • Being taught by Miklos for 11xp. This gives more xp, but also uses the Turb leader's time rather than a random grog's.

Neither is enough to get him to a score of more than 1 after a single season's teaching.

Learn Breaking the Captain's Baton (PeMe 10) (MoH pg 50). Makes the target unable to remember how to lead a trained group. He can just about invent this from scratch himself:
Pe 0 + Me 10 + MT 5 + Aura 5 + Int 1 + GQ 2 - Creative Block 3 = 20.
Put 2 xp into Mentem.

I've spent two out of the past three weeks doing unpaid overtime at work, leaving my brain mush for most other purposes--which is why I haven't looked at spells yet.

"The Lion and the Lamb" strikes me as a bad idea--you want to remove fear of a particular predator, not all of them. "Sooth the Frightened Steed" might be more generally useful in combat--I see the difference here being that one removes the fear, whereas the other keeps the fear but makes the animal calm. I'll look at her lab Saturday or Sunday--one more day of overtime in this month.

As for Gregorius, I think it's going to be up to him to decide which of those paths is more useful. Given his role in organizing the covenant's defense, Viola will trust his judgment about the use of Miklos's time.

Scott

OK, so Asena's ReAn lab total would be MT 4 (including a spells specialization) +2 Int, + 7 Re + 12 An for 25, then +5 for the aura, so 30. I can gin up a lab if I have to, but I can't imagine she'd have one elaborate and specialized enough to get the +10 bonus she'd need to invent a level 40 in one season. However, a 15 in one season or a 20 in 2 is easy.

Agreed some of the spells definitely have downsides (and it's probably possible to refine them a bit to remove some of them, although "not afraid of wolves" is always going to have one obvious potential problem).

I think I'm leaning towards keeping Miklos' time free - he needs to work to make sure the mundane forces are properly co-ordinated. Gregorius will therefore spend a season with Damianos being taught to ride.

Geez, has it really been 9 days I waited to reply? This job situation is killing me.

Who's still with us?

Scott

Here.

I'm also here. Currently trying to do grog advancement.

Please shout if there's anything particular you want the grogs to be doing (I think Viola wanted some of Sophia's time as a lab servant at some point?)