Seasonal Activities and Advancement

We'll start with something you and callen can agree on. :slight_smile:

Scott

My own thought is that it probably isn't unreasonable to have most mystery cults have one (but one only) of the non-standard masteries available - preferably one that fits the nature of the cult, and isn't really specific to another cult. The Terrae Cult has already been defined to give access to the Ceremonial Casting mastery (which is how Tasia is - just about - managing to cast her level 50 InVi spell).

Maybe Adaptive Casting for the Cult of Euclid? This has the bonus that wards are usually General spells, although them not needing to penetrate in this sage makes it less likely that you'll be inventing multiple versions of the same spell, and I'm not sure there are actually that many useful masteries for wards. There's also the issue that technically it's Patrick who's focussed on wards rather than the cults. Alternatively, maybe Lab Mastery? Ring/Circle Wards probably all count as similar to each other based on the "Closely related effect, at the same Range, Duration and Target" basis.

In terms of power level - this is my first saga, so I'm a little fuzzy. My natural tendency is to play it relatively low powered and safe. On the other hand, this saga is meant to be quite vis rich, I thought, although we haven't found/had defined all that much yet. Alcimus has been designed as a companion for a medium power saga; on the other hand, Vrahos is technically a grog for a medium power saga and even after rules modification is still quite powerful.

Before I get to Viola, one thing I forgot to do: all the characters involved in the season's stories get 5 XP's. Oh, and I've also posted updated information on vis and vis sources in the Covenant thread: the pool in the ruined temple yields 1 pawn of Rego vis in Spring and Autumn.

I just realized there's one advantage to beginning each year with Winter: the calendar year is the same for all four seasons. In light of that, Viola's plans (including the two seasons of this year already passed):

Winter: Initiates Calliope into Potent Spontaneous Magic, then studies again from the Parma Magica summa (Study: +14=92 [5]).
Spring: Explores the faerie regio in the temple to Neptune as a possible lab site, in which Portia creates a lab. Adv.: Faerie Lore, +5=56 (5).
Summer: Investigates the cursed statue of Poseidon on the second level of the regio, to see if it can be restored to working order, or possibly investigates the Perdo vis source in the labyrinth on the third level. Exp: Magic Theory, +2=198 (8).
Autumn: Refines the lab, or conducts the investigation of the statue this season instead. Exp.: Magic Theory, +2=200 (8).

Correspondence with Calliope: Faerie Magic, +1=23 (2)
Corrrespondence with Salignus: Faerie Magic, +1=24 (2)
Corrrespondence with Theodolphus: Magic Theory, +1=201 (8)
Corrrespondence with Theoros: Magic Theory, +1=202 (8)

Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn: Refines and improves the lab. Exp.: Magic Theory, +8=210 (8).

Correspondence with Calliope: Faerie Magic, +1=25 (2)
Corrrespondence with Salignus: Faerie Magic, +1=26 (2)
Corrrespondence with Theodolphus: Magic Theory, +1=211 (8)
Corrrespondence with Theoros: Magic Theory, +1=212 (8)

For Constantine:

Winter: Flits about while Viola studies.
Spring: Accompanies Viola in exploring the temple. Adv.: Faerie Lore, +2=7 (1).
Summer and Autumn: Assists Viola in her investigations. Possible Training XP's if Viola doesn't need his bonus as a lab assistant.

Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn: While Viola refines the lab, learns about magic from her (Train.: Magic Theory, +36=143 [7]).

MTKnife: Please could I have the quality (and level) of the Magic Theory book Gregorius borrowed from the Tremere?

I'll get you something by some time tonight.

Scott

Thanks.

Ideally, he'll have been aiming for Level 5, with as high a quality as he can get given that.

Just make it identical to the one you had originally planned for the library: Level 5, Quality 11. That's no guarantee that future borrowed books will be of the same value, though.

Scott

Right. Grog advancement. I'll do the following named grogs for now:

• Theodoric
  • Petrus
  • Sophia
  • Aison
  • Niketas
  • Bogdan
  • Godzimir
  • Damianos
  • Simon

Amul is doing Leon. Amul, are you happy to do Ingrid as well? Similary, Callen, are you happy to do Spryidon the cook, or would you rather I did? MTKnife, are you happy for me to do Theodoric? He's one of our few potential Latin teachers, so I'm provisionally scheduled him in.

Amul - You've got Miklos down for a couple of seasons teaching, but I couldn't see to whom or what. I've therefore taken the liberty of assuming he's teaching Simon and a couple of leper grogs Single Weapon (most of the named grogs already have a skill higher than he does, so can't benefit from teaching). Let me know if you want him doing something else. (Latin would definitely also be useful!)

I'm going to give them each eight seasons of advancement.

Theodoric
Winter 1226: Practice Hunt. 4xp -> 3 (4)
Spring 1226: Adventure. Tanais Covenant Lore 5xp -> 1 (10)
Summer 1226: Teaching Latin. 2xp Teaching -> 1 (2)
Autumn 1226: Teaching Latin. 2xp Teaching -> 1 (4)
Winter 1227: Practice Teaching 4xp -> 1 (8)
Spring 1227: Practice Single Weapon 4xp -> 5 (4)
Summer 1227: Teaching Don Delta Lore to Gregorius. Source quality 10. 2xp teaching -> 2 (0)
Autumn 1227: Practice Single Weapon 4xp -> 5 (8)

Petrus
Winter 1226: Practice Profession: Apothecary. 4xp -> 6 (4)
Spring 1226: Adventure Herbalism 5xp -> 8 (5)
Summer 1226: Teach Teaching to Sophia (source quality 13). Exposure in Teaching 2xp -> 4 (2)
Autumn 1226: Practice Don Delta Area Lore: 7xp -> 1 (2)
Winter 1227: Exposure in Herbalism 2xp -> 8 (7)
Spring 1227: Teach Teaching to Sophia (source quality 13). 2xp exposure in teaching -> 4 (2)
Summer 1227: Practice Don Delta Area Lore 7xp -> 1 (9)
Autumn 1227: Teach Latin to Bogdan, Godzimir, Damianos, Niketas. Source quality 7. 2xp -> 4 (4)

Sophia
Aging rolls:
1226: 15 -> 1 aging point in Sta, 1 point in decrepitude. Decreptitude -> 3 (1), Stamina unchanged due to Unaging.
1227: 6 -> fine.

Winter 1226: Practice Profession: Steward. 4 xp -> 5 (4)
Spring 1226: Adventure Tanais Covenant Lore 5xp -> 1 (0)
Summer 1226: Learn Teaching from Petrus. 13 xp -> 1 (8) (grogs)
Autumn 1226: Teach Latin to Aison. Source quality 12. 2xp exposure -> 2 (0)
Winter 1227: Teach Latin to Aison and Damianos. Source quality 10. 2xp exposure -> 2 (2).
Spring 1227: Learn Teaching from Petrus. 13 xp -> 3 (0)
Summer 1227: Teach Latin to Aison, Damianos, Bogdan and Godzimir. Source quality 8. 2xp exposure -> 3 (2) [Note, I'm assuming that Latin is not sufficiently well spoken in the covenant at this point for practicing it for 8xp to be feasible.]
Autumn 1227: Practice Profession Steward. 4xp -> 5 (4).

Aison
Winter 1226: Practice Single Weapon. 4xp -> 6 (4)
Spring 1226: Adventure. Nova Castra Lore 5xp -> 1 (0)
Summer 1226: Guard Duty. 2xp Exposure in Awareness -> 2 (2)
Autumn 1226: Learn Latin from Sophia 12 xp -> 1 (7) (covenant usage)
Winter 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 10 xp -> 2 (7)
Spring 1227: Guard Duty. 2xp Exposure in Awareness -> 2 (4)
Summer 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 8xp -> 3 (0)
Autumn 1227: Guard Duty. 2xp Exposure in Awareness -> 2 (6)

Niketas
Winter 1226: Practice Dowsing. 4xp -> 5 (4)
Summer 1226: Practice Dowsing. 4xp -> 5 (8)
Autumn 1226: Helping with Tree-felling. Training in Profession: Woodcutter (assuming woodcutter has skill 5) = 8xp -> 1 (3)
Winter 1227: Helping with Tree-felling. Training in Profession: Woodcutter 8xp -> 2 (1)
Spring 1227: Exposure in Errand-running. 2xp -> 3 (2)
Summer 1227: Practicing Nova Castra Lore. 7xp -> 1 (7)
Autumn 1227: Learn Latin from Petrus. 7xp -> 1 (2)

Bogdan
Winter 1226: Practice Single Weapon 4xp x 1.5 = 6xp -> 6 (6)
Summer 1226: Learning Latin from Theodoric. 8xp -> 1 (3)
Autumn 1226: Learning Latin from Theodoric. 8xp -> 2 (1)
Winter 1227: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 3 (2)
Spring 1227: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 3 (4)
Summer 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 8xp -> 2 (9)
Autumn 1227: Learn Latin from Petrus. 7xp -> 3 (1)

Godzimir
Winter 1226: Practice Single Weapon 4xp -> 5 (4)
Summer 1226: Learning Latin from Theodoric. 8xp -> 1 (3)
Autumn 1226: Learning Latin from Theodoric. 8xp -> 2 (1)
Winter 1227: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 3 (2)
Spring 1227: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 3 (4)
Summer 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 8xp -> 2 (9)
Autumn 1227: Learn Latin from Petrus. 7xp -> 2 (1)

Damianos
Winter 1226: Practice Animal Handling. 4xp -> 5 (4)
Summer 1226: Practice Hunt. 4xp -> 3 (4)
Autumn 1226: Hunting exposure. 2xp -> 3 (6)
Winter 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 10 xp -> 1 (5)
Spring 1227: Hunting exposure. 2xp -> 3 (6)
Summer 1227: Learn Latin from Sophia 8xp -> 2 (3)
Autumn 1227: Learn Latin from Petrus. 7xp -> 2 (10)

Simon
Winter 1226: Practice Stealth. 4xp -> 4 (4)
Summer 1226: Learn Single Weapon from Miklos. 8xp -> 1 (3)
Autumn 1226: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 2 (2)
Winter 1227: Practice Awareness 4xp -> 2 (6)
Spring 1227: Sentry Duty. 2xp Awareness -> 2 (8)
Summer 1227: Learn Single Weapon from Miklos. 8xp -> 2 (1)
Autumn 1227: Sentry Duty 2xp Awareness -> 2 (10)

Gregorius' advancement:

Winter: Read Book on Magic Theory. 11xp -> 3 (11)
Spring: Adventure. 5xp to Don Delta Lore -> 1 (0)
Summer: Read book on Magic Theory. 11xp -> 4 (2)
Autumn: Read book on Parma Magica. 11xp, Parma -> 2 (1)

Correspondance with Slyvanus, 1xp MT -> 4 (3)
Correspondance with Carolus (ghosts), 1 xp Magic Lore -> 2 (1)
Correspondance with Slyvanus, 1xp MT. -> 4 (4)
No useful correspondance.

Winter: Covenant service. Writes up 80 levels of the spells he knows to add to the Covenant library: Ward Against Metal (ReTe 20), Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (InMe 20), Posing the Silent Question (InMe 20), Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe 20). 2xp Latin -> 4 (2)
Spring: Read book on Magic Theory. 11 xp. -> 4 (15)
Autumn: Being taught Don Delta Lore by Theodoric. 10 xp -> 2 (0)
Winter: Reading Rego Summa. 15 xp -> 8 (7)

Correspondance with Slyvanus 1xp MT -> 4 (16)
Correspondance with Slyvanus 1xp MT -> 4 (17)
Correspondance with Boustaphan on the strategic implications of local features - Profession Soldier 1xp -> 1 (1)
Correspondance with Slyvanus 1xp Rego -> 8 (8)

Right, aligned the grogs and Gregorius to this.

Are you counting the investigating the statue as a lab improvement session, or an InVi investigation? I'd guess the former, but if the latter, what's the total?

Some of the seasons of Faerie Magic correspondance seem to be pushing it slightly - especially when refining the lab later, she's not really doing anything related to it.

My other comment is: no covenant service time? There's not technically any requirement to in the charter (at the moment), but we're a new covenant and both Gregorius and Tasia are putting some time in.

I don't think Constantine should have any xp left over from this once his Might is subtracted - it's not Viola teaching (/training) him, so he doesn't receive the 5xp penalty reduction.

Shouldn't the Source Quality here be 8xp per season rather than 9? Base training quality = 8 (Viola's MT) + 3 =11, - (8 Might Penalty - 5 for training by bound magus = 3) =8.

I'll let you know when amul lets me know. :slight_smile: I'm not sure exactly what has to be done here, other than it'll take a season.

Well, this is where we get into interpreting what "associated with the magus's research or reading" means. At one extreme, you could say it has to be something you're doing that very season. On the other hand, the correspondence rules, which refer to a series of 24 letters over the course of two years, assume that the whole correspondence between two magi will be on a single subject, and it strains credulity to believe that both magi will be researching or reading on the same Art or Ability for every one of the eight seasons involved--especially if each of them is corresponding with multiple magi at once (Viola, who's now corresponding with 4 different magi, would take 8 years to finish a single set of correspondences with any of them). In fact, as I was doing the Viola's correspondences last night, I started worrying if maybe I should make sure that 8 straight seasons with each correspondent are on the same topic; otherwise, there's no way to bind the letters into a single work.

I guess we need to figure out how we're going to interpret it for this saga. Any comments?

Give her something that needs to be done (as Alpha SG, I'd rather not allocate the covenant's resources, including my own character's service time). I was obviously thinking the vis thing might take some time, though. At any rate, I can assure you that Viola can and will hide in her lab, hoping no one will remember she's supposed to be around, if she's not stopped from doing it.

Hmm...I was thinking we wrote that in such a way to allow Story XP's, but yes you're right. I apparently misread one of the past advancement logs (there was a season where Constantine got 7 XP's, but that was because the characters got 15 XP's in that story, which is a bit more than what's recommended in the rules, but probably not completely out of the ordinary for occasional very important stories; in any case, the average for Viola's stories is 10, which matches our character generation guidelines).

She gets a +2 lab Specialization bonus for Teaching from her quill (that's the only bonus it provides as part of the Magic Item lab Virtue, and in her old lab, adding that bonus caused her to lose an Experimentation bonus; indeed, it's the main game-mechanical effect of that particular enchantment on the quill, though it's obviously also useful for role-played conversations). Actually, that means the number should be 10 XP's, rather than 9.

Scott

Given that we have a mastery text for Aegis, I'd prefer for the special mastery ability to originate from there. I really feel like there should be some generally-known mastery abilities that are ritual-specific, given how the mechanics of the game encourage us to take mastery in rituals far more often than other kinds.

Do servants get XP as well? Ah, ArM: the game for people who never got enough homework as children.

Based on previous conversations, I was assuming Latin, but anything is fine. I also only gave a 1 season of training/year because I thought there'd be moral consequences if we did more, but 8 seasons of training in Latin and Single Weapon would be.....valuable.

I thought I gave rules suggestions on this? It is a season of Investigating Enchantments, per MRB, pg 100. Your Magic Theory is capped by your Faerie Lore.

Yes, but how many collections like this have actually been created throughout history? Nothing in our library, at least.

I also believe that the rules do not say it HAS to be 24 letters in a row, merely that 24 letters = 24 months.

Likewise, Patrick isn't really doing any covenant service (unless you count his Vis Source hunting), but has expressed a desire to work towards membership. On the other hand, he did spont over 100 spells in the 1st two weeks.

Aral Sea? The Caspian is closer. Google Maps calls the province "Rostov Oblast," which is roughly 40,000 sq miles, which is slightly smaller than Kentucky. I'll go with that, barring any objections.

Questions still unanswered (trying not to be a pest about this, but nor do I want them to get lost)

Also, do we need to do anything more with his Servant Of The River Delta, or is the "no-penalty distractions from study" enough for now?

The Aegis mastery text was (possibly) written by Notatus himself, the original inventor of the Aegis of the Hearth, and Primus of House Bonisagus after Bonisagus. (I actually took it from the Normany Tribunal library in the Lion and the Lily, where it and a level 20 lab text are noted as being "by Notatus and others".

Admittedly, that doesn't give me any further inspiration at this point.

My thoughts are firstly that a series of correspondance can be ongoing even when the magus isn't getting any xp from it - "a magus can participate in many correspondance, but only gain benefit from one a season". Thus you might be having several different lots of correspondances going on at once, but only be gaining the extra xp when it aligns with what you're studying. Of course, this could be abused to an extent by generating an unlimited number of bound correspondances every two year period - since the quality is the sum of the two magi's Communication, this is unlikely to be a problem in most cases, but might occasionally need stomping on for sanity.

Given that, it is still my inclination to say that the xp you gain should be related to the magus' research or reading that season - otherwise it doesn't make much sense why you're picking that subject up that season.

Writing up some of her spells for the covenant library would be useful (Gregorius for example would certainly be interested in The Counsel of Animals and Converse with Plants and Trees. At some point. When he can find a spare minute). Potentially spending some time setting up a guest lab as well, although that depends whether we actually have any space to set up a lab in, which I haven't worked out yet.

Ah right, fine, I'd forgotten about that.

Just advancing her by 15xp per year is probably reasonable; I did the grogs season by season because I wanted to give them Latin (and MtKnife wanted me to do that if I was trying to get them taught things).

Ah right, if it's Latin I'll rejig the grogs advancements. I've got to do that a bit anyway, as I've realised I'd forgotten about Aison's Poor Learner flaw.

Given the quality of a bound correspondance is the sum of of the two participants' Communication scores, the vast majority probably aren't worth reading (and does raise the interesting spectre of a negative quality for a book). So that's why the usual base bonus is +6...

As a visitor there isn't any obligation on Patrick to put in covenant service (technically there's no current obligation on members either, of course). It's probably the sort of thing that's likely to get considered when the Council considers a vote on membership, though, albeit along with a bunch of other factors (such as casting over 100 spells in the first two weeks).

It depends. How keen is Patrick to make a good impression?

Well, he's sort of always eager to make a good impression, but he's also got a lot on his plate. Two secret story obligations, and then there's the impending aging crisis. He's prone to depressive mood swings about his family. Plus, I bet the whole "leaving his Magic Trough out in the open and full of food" thing is probably consuming his time.

Mmm, competing demands on his time are why Gregorius is only doing one season of covenant service (although he's justifying it to himself on the basis that he'll do one per year, and the second year isn't up yet).