Setting up a saga in Hibernia

Yes, of course. Not cover to cover (yet), but I read it a few years ago and recently browsed through it. Did you want to point out something specific?

Mostly the history chapter, and Connacht. As I recall, it is traditional for invaders to take most of Ireland and chase the prevous owners away, to Connacht :wink:

Yes, I noticed that. :wink: But I don´t want to bring my troupe to Connacht at the start. So, I´ll have them flee to Ulster, I think. According to this map: wesleyjohnston.com/users/ire ... ap1300.gif is supposed to show the greatest extent of English rule. As I like my games to be relatively close to history, this area makes a good place for an Irish covenant.

So, because I had too much at my hands, I did not prepare properly. But my players needed a rules refresher anyways, as we had made some Grogs three years ago (those character sheets were still around). I started giving a lecture about what is what on the sheet, and at the end, we had a mock fight. I used two of the "Standard Soldier" templates as enemies, and even I was somewhat surprised just how lethal that combat system is. Each hit gave a medium wound, and we just played one round of combat. The players were convinced that combat is just a stupid idea in this system.

Afterwards, we built some companion characters. I think we were getting a little carried away with things, but it was a lot of fun. We have a nun/healer/herbalist (think Hildegard of Bingen), a thief/shapechanger, a giant-blooded warrior and I built a sidhe knight. I guess we had the typical fantasy adventuring group in mind here.

So, to get things really running, I will build a starting covenant. The magi will start as children, to slowly introduce the intricacies of the magic system to the players. Calculating from the date given, the next tribunal should take place in 1221, at which date the new covenant has to make its claim for recognition. The magi-to-be will have been delivered as tribute to the tribunal earlier (I think to the tribunal in 1200), so they would be around 25 years old in 1220. This seems to be a perfect starting age for magi. I´ll read the "Apprentices" book to look for some inspiration there. As I don´t see these players getting a covenant up and running from zero, I think I will build an almost faltered winter covenant in western Ulster, probably not far from the poisoned glen. I guess I will include a Merinitia, an Ex Miscellanea and perhaps one more in an old covenant falling more or less apart.

A little bit further in my thoughts, I decided to play the magi for the first time at the 1200 Tribunal at Tara. At which time of the year are the Tribunals held, anyways? That wasn´t given in the sourcebook. I´d think some time in summer, as this would be most convenient (mild weather, long days). Summer solstice does not sound quite right, I think I will put this on the first half of August (Lughnasadh), which might be fitting as the god Lugh is said to have appeared at Tara. (And this time of the year is traditional for gatherings of all kinds anyways) The Tuatha De Danann probably do object to this appropriation, but then, can´t really do anything about it.

As of 1200, the future Magi will be kids of around 5 to 7 years, so they will be around 25 years old in1220. They will have been freshly taken away from their families to be presented as tribute from the Coill Trí. Such small kids won´t be able to fully grasp what is happening with them or around them at a Tribunal (which would be quite a big affair, with probably several hundred people there). Instead, they will do what kids of this age do if not given any serious task: play around. Hide and seek, catch, mock fights with sticks. Most mundanes and all Magi will know that these kids are the next generation of Magi, and so, treat them accordingly. I think the kids will at some point get into the Mound of Hostages while playing. While the rest of Tara is more or less full of tents and people, the Mound of Hostages is probably deserted out of respect for the faeries, I´d say. The hill has a faerie aura of 7 (according to TcI, p. 70), while the rest of the hill has a magical aura of 6. In the real world, this is an ancient burial place. So, one of the ancient dead might be disturbed by the sudden influx of strange magical energies. Instead of rising as an undead (which would be magic or infernal, IIRC), this needs to be some faerie apparition, which is none to pleased with these kids disturbing this place. Depending on how it turns out, they might get some flaw from this encounter, like a malediction, or plagued by faeries or something.

Any ideas, comments and hints welcome.