Simple Requisite Question

Small question. I'm looking at, for instance, Piercing Shaft of Wood (ArM rules, p. 137), a MuHe spell. Not unreasonably, this spell has a Rego requisite. That requisite changed the level of the spell. Does it also require that the caster use the lower of his Rego and Muto scores? Or is the added difficulty of the spell's level the full effect of the requisite? I've been looking at the requisite rules, and for some reason they're not coming in clear for me today.

Thanks!

The caster uses the lower of the applicable arts.

Left-hand column, page 115, paragraph starting "Requisites, if any...". There is the explanation, "You must use the lesser of your score in the requisite and your score in the spell's main Technique or Form".

First - the rule for requisites is always "use the lower of the requisited Arts" - for a Technique requisite, use the lowest listed Technique; for a Form Requisite, use the lowest of the listed Forms.

[Do note that there is an official erratum for Magical Focus, saying that you simply determine the lowest Art, and then add that value ... you never reapply the requisite rules.]

Second - why the extra levels? - well the answer is in the reasons for requisites. There are 2 main ones:

• to add a second effect (that's here - change something, then make it move) - adds 1 or more magnitudes to spell level
    (note that adding extra effects increases levels, even when it doesn't add a requisite.)
  • or to make the spell work (eg requisites to cover the 2 forms of a Shapechange) - no extra additions, built in to guidelines.
    (cosmetic effects, like the mist in Frosty Breath Of The Spoken Lie don't cost extra levels either).

Thanks, guys! All clear now.