Something that is larger on the inside?

You should ask you SG about it. Maybe he comes up with some feary region where this is perfectly normal... Involving a story of corse! Or you could initiate into dream mysteriy and build such a lab in your own dreams...

By the way, I think in the broken convent of Celebais there is a tree mentioned inhabited by a dyriad or something which is lager inside than outside. So this feat can be accomplished using magic. However, I think Hermetic Magic is not the right way. But maybe you can do some original research resulting in a virtue so you can build something thats lagre inside than outside.

So, we enchant a hut to be bigger on the inside...

I guess the next thing to do is paint it blue and work on some enchantments to enable it to move in time and space.

"Creo TARDIS!" :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Next thing we know, every magus will take female grogs :laughing:

:laughing: I know this was ment as a joke, but I'm going to use it as an example for a moment. Magic already moves wizards through time and space. Leap of homecoming could theoretically move a magi from once side of the world to the other in an instant at the equator. That’s 12,450 miles in a second, which is 747,000 in a minute, and 4,482,000 miles an hour. Now short of bending space and time or rearranging on a molecular level which is all quantum physics this is not possible as of today’s modern science.

What else can magi do, slow aging to live to be 180 years of age. Oldest living human 132 years, with modern science. They can age people instantly to adulthood. And age them to death with eye contact or a wave of their hand. Once again, the closest thing we have is cloning.

Next up, creation of cold fire, fire that freezes. Aka cold fusion. So now does my proposal realy sound that out of the ordinary in comparison to things magi can do with level 35 and below spells.

Now in HoH:TL it says that Tremer like to have small pouches that can carry a campaign worth of food. for the sake of argument lets say that’s 3 months. Figure a soldier east about 5 pounds of food a day, 3 pounds bread, 2 pounds meat, which is what I'm told was the average roman soldiers diet. So 450 pounds a food. 3 pounds of meat is about 1x1 foot, and 5 pounds of bread is a lot larger so lets say about 3x3 feet when rolled out, so that’s 12 square feet a day in width and length probably about a foot tall if laid flat on each other about a 3x3x2 space. Now if you can tell me how you would muto that much food with a simple enchantment that would be common enough for Tremer to make I'd love to see it. So that’s a room 12 feet tall and 70 feet wide. I'm not going to do the math, my point is that’s not a simple thing to shrink. However. if you mage the bag the size of a room inside and then enchanted the room to remove the weight of those things within your looking at a much easier and plausible way of doing this. Otherwise your looking at making a group enchantment with levels probably in the 60-70s to shrink it. instead maybe a level 50 to make the space, and a level 40 to remove the weight, I'm doing it off the top of my head. Which is a lot more easily done by a Tremer enchanter.

My last point is that this spell idea as far as I can see doesn't break any of the limits of magic. I don't think it would be rule breaking due to the fact of having to move your lab to the room or outside the building you want to enchant. 2 seasons 10 pounds silver. enchant it, between 20-30 pawns (magic theory 10-15), then move your lab back, another 2 seasons 10 pound silver. However a bag with a semi precious stone would be easier. If you can't effect the space in a room, how does a room spell effect its contents? because the point of a room spell is to effect the space within. With the argument that you can't expand space that means if you make the whole hut bigger it wouldn't make more space.

I'm looking for reasons within the rules why one couldn't do this.

Sounds like a straightforward application of Muto to me. Oh all right, intricate then, but a Merinita is bound to have tried the trick at some point.

"By using Muto magic a magus can grant or remove properties something cannot naturally have." Fits perfectly. Being bigger inside than outside is clearly an additional, unnatural property that can be given and taken away. - Taking a page from the MuVi guidelines, a Creo requisite would probably be in order, since you're making the room much bigger.

And it's far too cool and widely used in faerie tales to disallow.

Have the Friendly Neighbourhood Tytalus enchant a man-eating frog with such a MuAn effect. (One effect to make it big as a large bull and man-eating, another to make it mansion-sized inside so the victims survive just fine.)

1 Like

You mean they don't already?

"Damn it, Iacobus, I'm a magus not a monk!"

This sounds like a classic use of Glamour to me. Change the image of the room to make it look bigger on the inside than on the outside, and because of the properties of Glamour the room is bigger on the inside than on the outside.

:open_mouth:

Score one for the Merinitae!

Effectively... This should even be relatively easy for them :open_mouth:

OTOH, this reflects those stories about faerie places which are bigger than they appear.

shudder

An alternative might be to create a new lab space somewhere else, perhaps deep underground, but enchanted with a teleport connection so that one can walk into the hidden space by walking through a door. That would require a variant Hermes Portal that worked at a lesser range -- sight or voice instead of arcane connection.

What's the precise reason for not wanting to expand the lab's external structure? The solution to the problem depends on the reason.