[Spell] Second Skin against Dryness

Ave Sodales,

I'm wondering how the character with the Flaw discussed here [url]Proper Flaw far a character with Mythic Blood : Melusine] could counter it with Hermetic magic.

Would you say the following spell is well-balanced ?

Would you say it requires Range:Touch in order to cover the Maga's body ?
Would you say it requires +1 magnitude for the Rego requisite ?

Hi,

No comment about balance.

Range is Touch. You are creating water; the water is the target.
No +1.

Also no comment about whether this is sufficient water to offset the flaw.

Anyway,

Ken

Definitely no commnet about balance. There are lots of spells that work mechanically that are not at all balanced. Finding those is a lot of the fun! :wink:
Ovarwa has said the important parts; As far as if it would offset the flaw, the flaw was described as 'plunged in water', so I would probably argue it wouldn't fix the flaw, but it would raise the character's overall happiness, comfort, and moistness. It's just a feeling based on how it was described, of course, so it's up to the storyguide.

I guess as a storyguide I would (re-)balance by simply asking the inventive player to choose a new flaw. Unless it is part of the saga theme to overcome flaws (which would probably be specific flaws chosen by me anyway)...

Just my 2 cents
Jan

I wouldn't say the Flaw is solved here. It's a rarher high spell. The Maga :
-Must suffer Fatigue and risk a botch and Twilight episode as a Spontaneous spell ;
-Must learn the spell orherwise ;
-Will encounter social reactions (most of the time fear or doubt) if she travels and go drink in the tavern with a water-covered appearance ;
-May gain warp points if she uses it too often.

Hi,

lol You don't have to convince us!

No comment on whether this should or shouldn't work.

However:

• A level 15 spell is not rather high level
  • It will be learned, so won't be sponted
  • Learning the spell is a trivial cost
  • Social issues will be rare, and MuIm can deal with those.
  • Won't need to use it very often.

So, while this might well be a reasonable way to deal with the flaw inexpensively, and that this is the sort of thing that wizards do, the arguments that this is not very inexpensive do not, um, hold water.

Anyway,

Ken

It occurs to me that this Melusine blooded character may be brushing against the Hermetic Limit of Energy.

If conjured food does not provide natural sustenance (or whatever it is called), does conjured water provide fatigue relief that this character can only acquire by being submerged?

As for the mechanics, assuming your goal is to ensure a thin layer of "wetness" is spread over a target's body:

Base level is 3: "create water that is not contained (for example, spread over a surface)."
Range is (at least) Touch, since the target is the water created, not the caster.
Keeping the water where it is is a Rego requisiste that does add a magnitude. Remember, unless a requisite is a "casting requisite" that allows you to include "secondary" forms, or unless a requisite is essential to achieve the main effect of the spell (e.g. Animal for a MuCo spell to turn a man into a pig) then you must pay at least an extra magnitude for it.
So, at D:Sun, it's a Level 15 Cr(Re)Aq spell: Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Rego.

Let me also point out that the "same" effect can be obtained if the maga has access to a stream, pond, well or bathtub by simply taking a plunge and then using a Base 1 Rego Aquam effect ("control water in an extremely gentle way") to make sure that the water "sticks" to her body for the rest of the Duration. At D:Moon, it's a meager Level 5 Spell: Base 1, +1 Touch, +3 Moon. (I do not think keeping wet stuff wet deserves the "slightly unnatural" modifier, or the modifier would aways apply.)

Now, as has been pointed out, this should be the starting point when determining how much of a flaw "suffering for not being covered in water" is for your maga. If she only needs to sleep within such a thin film on her, with the penalty being simply she can't regain fatigue, I'd count it too small an inconvenience to qualify as a flaw, even a minor one. If she needs to sleep under at least six feet of non-magical (but possibly magically contained) water to regain fatigue, that's probably a minor Flaw. If she needs to be covered by a thin film of water, or risk losing fatigue as if holding her breath, that's again a minor Flaw. If she needs to be constantly protected by a barrier of non-magical water six-feet thick or lose fatigue as if holding her breath, that's a major flaw. Of course, if the character were instead a companion without ready access to water-controlling magic, the "same" flaws would count as much harsher ones.

The particulars of the flaw's "problem" and spell solution really matter. So in support of the spell: It is logical that a Magus would use magic to limit/control the impact of a flaw, or risk, or any negative aspect of their life. This spell is a very wizardly response to the setting so I'd say support the idea; that said, the flaw should also have an impact and consqeuences in play to from a meta-game perspective. So they player perhaps shouldn't make the solution perfect in all scenarios. YSMV by design.
I like the look of Fafnir's approach CrAq/Re15. I suggest casting a non-mastered level 15 spell twice a day is risky, (2x a day, 1 season, is 180 castings, ... then downscale to only 50 castsing becasue of staying in the lab and plenty of safe days. With 50 rolls evenutally you will botch).

Hi,

5xp for spell mastery kind of solves that problem. If it's even a problem, since virtually every casting will be non-stressed. Most seasons will have zero stress castings. Most of the other seasons will also have zero stress casting. Even during an adventure, most of the castings will be... yup, not stress. Unless sound of the campfire crackling or the discomfort of an inn that does not meet the maga's high standards count as stress. (And they might! I've seen games like that. :confused: )

Again, I'm not saying that using magic to overcome a Flaw does not belong. Solving problems with magic is what wizards do, right? But the argument that the cost is greater than a minor inconvenience doesn't work for me. (10-20 starting points in a spell and maybe a Mastery@1 is 15-30% of a flaw. So it's something.)

Anyway,

Ken

Ah yep, forgot that non-stress stuff. Agreed. Its the "The particulars of the flaw's "problem" and spell solution really matter". If it was a player in my group I'd be looking for them to invent an effect which removes micro-management of the flaw in daily life (because when the character is off-screen, who really cares) but can be used as an in-story way from time to time. IMO Flaws are in-story levers.