Spell (un)balance: Offensive teleport with Terram

My apologies, I was referring to Troy.
And I do believe that a person could hold a lot more than one cubic foot comfortably in two hands, though it depends on what you mean by hold and also on the person's dimensions. A lightweight box that is 8 cubic feet (2 feet per dimension) can be comfortably held with hand 2 feet apart and slightly over a foot away from the body so the center of balance will lean the box against your chest- the question being whether that is considered holding it in two hands when you are also using your torso for a third point on the "tripod". A cooler can be held in 2 hands- though that is questionable when it comes to comfort as you move up the scale, by way of the pair of handles- with distances between the handles ranging from 14 to 48 inches, and up to 125 quarts volume (just over 4 cubic feet) (if filled with water this would be 250 lbs, so this also fits with my other calculations/observations.

After reviewing the official errata, I think that not having extended the ReAn and ReTe errata to ReTe is itself ... an erratum that should be fixed.
Is there is a general consensus on this?
If so, we could point it out to whoever is now in charge of ArM5 errata.

1 Like

If so, it would be necessary to issue errata for three books: Covenants, Magi of Hermes, and Transforming Mythic Europe. Maybe more. They all work off the same bases. I would note, though, that Terram is far from the only one that starts lower than 10. It seems they've been consistent about the generally living stuff starting at 10 and the generally inanimate stuff starting lower.

I think the rationale between the higher ReHe / ReAn guidelines compared to the others is that they are intended to teleport living beings, and so the guideliens are based on Rego Corpus, whereas animal and plant products are not more difficult than the ReTe guidelines. I don't think there needs to be an errata there.

1 Like

They might want to errata the strange size distinction, ether to remove or clarify how big it is (1 base individuals? 0.1 base individuals?). The ReTe guideline is already used for non-living objects no matter their base.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you saying there is errata that removes the concept of base individuals as defined and listed in RAW ArsM5? Are they replaced with a general guideline for all forms?

No, of course not. I'm refering to this:

Rego Terram
Level 4: Transport a non-living object instantly up to 5 paces. For objects larger than something that can be comfortably held in two hands, size modifiers are necessary. Casting requisites may be
needed if the item is primarily not under the Form of Terram.

I find this to be a rather painful wording, where you need to assess the size for this particular guideline differently than you would for every other individual under Terram. After all, two fistful of gems can clearly be held comfortably in two hands, yet clearly would normally not be affected by a spell of Terram without a size modifier, while we can have fanciful arguments about how many square foot of dirt a normal human can comfortably carry.

Edit: Make that one gem the size of two fists :wink:

1 Like