Spring 1220, Chapter 2c, Spring Vis gathering

Whenever everyone's ready Rhodri and the rest will head towards the Corpus source.

Sinmore heads back to her lab quickly to gather up her things and make sure the door is locked. If she runs into Samuel she'll sweep him up in a big hug and a plants kiss on his cheeks before scooting him out of the lab and locking it up after her. From there she heads to the kitchen and larder to get some food for the trip. She meets Rhodri by the entrance to the Covenant. She looks radiant, like a figure out of an epic poem, a warrior giantess on Midgard.

((bringing her armor, sword, a few sacks, a bedroll, knife, whet stone, oil for her sword, a cup, and a change of clothes

Who were the grogs we were bringing? Can we bring Glen Goodeye and the two men from Kent as well as some porter types?))

((Each player should only really play one character in a scenario. Well, one magus, or one companion, or 2-3 grogs. So Glen should stay behind if Sinmore is going. If Jason wanders back to things here, then he can take over playing Keith and Sir Michael.))

Devorah and the two Englishmen are packed up and ready to go in front of the stables. Devorah has a large pack and is also carrying a shortsword, a shortbow, and shield. The men from Kent are also loaded up with packs, and one seems to have a lute case and a handaxe, and the other a citole case and a mace.

How do you all plan on travelling-- by foot alone or will some of you use magical means, and do you intend to take a horse and cart or have the grogs carry your supplies?

I think Sinmore will be the cap on our speed, though it wouldn't be bad for someone to arrive ahead of us.

[i]((Sinmore and Aequi both have crap Dexterity & Quickness, and not much in Athletics, though Aequi is worse off on numbers there, but Sinmore makes up for it in size, so the two of them are both equally slowpokes :wink:

Going to put this thread on hold for a few days as I have some stuff going on; feel free to continue any character interactions here in the meantime. If y'all get more Companions and Grogs in the meantime, we can still expand the travelling party before everyone embarks.[/i]))

Rhodri, Sinmore, Attravere, and Aequi set out along with Devorah and the two men of Kent. Keith and Sir Michael sing in harmony while you travel, and perhaps it is because of the distraction ((or the fact that the highest Per+Awareness among you is a 4...)) that you are all completely surprised when there is a rustle from above, and a figure drops out of overhead branches to tackle Attravere to the ground. A split second later, a group of heavily armed men emerge from the trees flanking the road, surrounding the party. The one in front (in the direction you were travelling) speaks, and while only Sinmore and the two Kentish men understand the man's broken English, Rhodri recognizes the man's heavy Welsh accent. "Stop! Give all valuables or bleed like pigs." He points to the dark-clothed figure straddling Attravere: "Resist, we kill rich one first."

Sinmore had been enjoying the pleasant walk and company, the men's singing was rather enjoyable. She wanted to sing a song that supposedly was song in the halls of Surt, but felt that perhaps now wasn't the time. She had just been about to mention to her travelling companions if they had heard anything more substantial about bandits when they struck. She's stunned for a moment at the sudden assault and then actually smiles at the turn of events before looking a bit concerned at Attravere's predicament.

She speaks in Latin to Attravere. "Sodale, be calm, I can handle these fools. Are you safe, can you protect yourself from that one? Tell me so and I'll blast the rest."

She turns to the bandits and gices a huge but hardly friendly grin, more like the smile of a lion to its prey.

The figure crouched over Attravere looks up at the sound of Sinmore's voice. Never moving the dagger away from the magus' throat, Attravere's attacker calls out in Welsh, in a surprisingly feminine voice: "Church men! Let the demons have them after we've lined our pockets. Rhys, summon them," at which point one of the bandits slips away into the trees.

(OOC: Editting Aequi's response based on Arya's comment about the language barrier then, my fault for the assumption)

"Aiiiieee!!" Aequi screams as his arms are held out straight with palms open to show he's not carrying anything. He kind of waves them around a bit making open palm stopping motions and, all in all, looks like a fool. The bandits will either quickly tell him to stop or it will easily carry into casting gestures, though he's not attempting anything right now. As soon as anything starts Aequi is planning to Wizard's Sidestep out of the circle of bandits/armsmen and get out of everyone's way.

((I saw that Aequi had 2 English, but the speaker only has a 3 in English, so it's like a deaf-mute sign-languaging to the blind. Though their intent is clear by the fact that they have weapons pointed at all of you, the heavy accent obscures the language enough that Aequi doesn't recognize it at all, let alone realizes it's a language of which he has a passing knowledge.))

((Sinmore does not understand Welsh and thus has no idea that anything was said about demons. Attravere did not say anything-- it was the woman who is holding a knife to Attravere's throat. Do you wish to retract your action? You should probably give Attravere a chance to respond first anyway, since he's the one with a knife at his throat, and you've already taken an action since they surprised y'all.))

((wait, I remember a post from Attravere where he repeated what they said about demons, I assumed in a language that Sinmore knew, since I knew Sinmore couldn't speak Welsh. Has that post changed? But yes, I'll give Attravere a chance to escape or move out of harm's way before casting her spell))

((No, Kui hasn't posted since page 1, when Attravere said he'd be joining the expedition. And Attravere doesn't speak Welsh either.))

((I see, it was Aequi, who has since changed the post and I think initially mentioned what the bandits said. But yes, holding off the spell for now))

((Please hold off on taking any more actions until Kui has had a chance to respond... it would really suck if rash actions got his character killed when folks are taking multiple actions before he's had a chance to do anything.))

In Latin Rhodri says "Attravere, I know you can travel. That will be our signal to begin our fight. One of them is going to summon a demon. I do not want to be surrounded by them when the demon arrives." Rhodri keeps an eye on Attravere. The moment Attravere uses Wizard's Leap or Leap of Homecoming or whichever he chooses Rhodri will draw his sword and step into action.

"Peaaaace friends, let me escape this fellow before you do anything rash." Attravere will say as calmly as he can with a knife to his throat... before spontaneously casting a rego corpus to move himself 5 paces (no words, no gestures for a -15 penalty, CT52/2 + any aura, lvl 10 spell) to the other side of Sinmore.

[size=85]((Re18+Co15+Co15+4Int, +7 for knowing a similar formulaic spell of lv35, -15 no words or gestures, =44, halved = 22, which is more than sufficient to cast the spell successfully.))[/size]

Attravere vanishes, and his shadowy straddler tumbles gracefully to the ground. She shouts in Welsh, "Magic! Run, leave them for the demons!"

The moment Attravere is free, Devorah's sword clears its scabbard and she swings at the Welsh woman, nicking the bandit leader in the arm. The two men from Kent drop their packs and draw their weapons, and move to a perimeter around the party.

The rest of the bandits begin a hasty retreat, scattering into the woods in different directions.

[size=85]((New round; everyone can now take one action each.))[/size]

Sinmore smiles, now that Attravere is safe she can actually cut loose a bit. A smell of burning hair begins to eminate from her ((her spell casting sigil)) as she hands Attravere her sword and begins speaking in Latin, her hands making the gestures as fast as she's able. She then shouts "Creo Ignem!" and releases her burning power.

((casting Arc of Fiery Ribbons, forceless, and avoiding any of the Grogs while aiming at the largest group she can affect))

Aequi moves over to the two men's packs (and out of the way of any swinging swords) and will throw up a Personal Veil of Invisibility. He'll crouch to minimize his shadow. If her Welsh was good enough for him to catch the word "demon" that she repeated, he'll be on the active lookout for anything coming out of the woods in the direction Rhys went.