Spring 1220: Seeing is Believing

"Certainly. We don't need to rush though and we should brainstorm what might be alternatives. There should also be an ongoing relationship here, and that means a benefit to both sides."
"This might not be the only creature of power living in the area and we need to know what we are conte ding with before confirming any deals. "

"I agree that there's no need to be hasty," Magnus replies. "But we should definitely hear what the dragon has to say. It can certainly tell us with some certainty whether it has dominion over this area, or whether there are other powers we need to worry about - assuming its word can be trusted. Depending upon how powerful a dragon it is, it may well be the only power worth considering in this area. It's certainly laid claim to one of the most valuable places in the area."

"That does lead to the question of what we might offer it in exchange for its leaving the area, or at least leaving us alone to do as we will. There is gold, of course, which every dragon seems to crave to some degree, vis, which any magical creature has use for, and services, magical or otherwise, which anyone can find use for. But just how far are we willing to go to gain its cooperation?"

"I should mention" Aquarian adds "That aside from collecting tribute, the dragon seems to wish primarily to sleep. I seem to recall an adage about sleeping dragons..."

Aquarian wouldn't realize this, but I believe that dragons add a fraction of their might to the aura, so having it relocate may not be in our best interest if all it wants to do is nap and collect tribute.

"The dragon's home should be respected as much as any other. Unless it presents a significant difficulty - my opinion is to strike a deal and hopefully we can leverage the aura without a large expense in vis. The coin and food is solvable. "

"I agree," Magnus says. "Trying to move a dragon from its home is an unwise move at the best of times. But perhaps a deal can be struck. At the very least, we should speak to the dragon to see what he has to say. So long as we are respectful, we should fare well enough. And dragon or not, I don't want this to be an impediment in our raising the island."

And so Constantine, Magnus, Duncan, and Aquarian swim around the statues in the next room over and into the mirror image of the temple. As Aquarian described, it seems to be identical except that it's in much better repair. And sure enough, inside the central chamber, reclining beside a large pile of treasure, is a huge blue-green dragon.

[size=150]"Oho,"[/size] the dragon says, lifting its head and looking at Aquarian.[size=150] "You have brought the others you spoke of. Well, well."[/size] It yawns, revealing two rows of very sharp teeth, each the size of a large dagger, and a gullet that could easily swallow any of its visitors. [size=150]"Since I'm awake, we might as well talk. I would hear of who you are and what you have to offer me. My name is Arvidorax the Resplendent. And who might you be?" [/size]

"Magnus ex Bonisagus, archmagus of the Order of Hermes," Magnus replies. "And this is my brother Duncan, a scholar of the lost island of Atlantis." He pauses and waits for the other two to introduce themselves.

"I am Quaesitor Constantine ex Guernicus. We are pleased to be granted an audience. We seek to better understand this region and to speak openly of how we may prosper together."
"We will seek to speak about the Order in case you have not met some of our kind before."
"Perhaps as part of our introductions you might reveal part of your history so we may learn of your grandeur?"

[size=150]"I am familiar with your Order," [/size]the dragon says, nodding his large head. [size=150]"I have met a few of your kind over the centuries. Some have been polite; others foolish. We shall hope for the best with you."[/size] There is a gleam in the old dragon's eye.

[size=150]"My own tale is long and involved. It would take more than an afternoon to tell it all. Suffice it to say that I once lived on the coast of the continent to the east. But as man expanded, I took more and more solace in the sea. Some centuries ago I found this resting place and claimed it as my own. Here the power is great, the hunting plentiful, and the setting serene. What's more, since then, your kind," he looks at Aquarian, "have brought me tribute, as is right and proper."[/size]

[size=150]"But tell me,"[/size] he adds. [size=150]"What is your purpose here. I know your kind treasures places of power such as this. Do you intend to contest me for the right to settle here? It has been long since I fought one of your kind. But I have not forgotten how!"[/size]

"We come seeking no conflict," Magnus replies. "But we also make it no secret that this land would be of great value to us. It represents a lost land, the land of Atlantis, drowned millennia ago by tragedy. We would raise it once again from the depths and let it see the sun again, if such would not bother you and the other residents of this area."

[size=150]"Bah,"[/size] Arvidorax replies. [size=150]"There are no other residents of any consequence than I for a hundred miles around. All creatures in what was once Atlantis defer to me. If you would have this land, you must negotiate with me and me alone! But tell me, what do you offer for the loss of my serenity? Air or water matters little to me. But I have come to appreciate the quiet that comes at the bottom of the sea."[/size]

"Wealth," Magnus replies. "To increase your hoard. Food, to fill your belly. And possibly some vis to increase your power." He looks to Constantine. "I think we can offer that much, can we not?"

Nodding in agreement before speaking up, "Agreed. It would be expected and a pleasure to provide tributes of food and vis. And as the regio will remain intact, we could also place measures with our people to protect your solace. "
"I was also hoping for an exchange in knowledge which strengthens us all too, but this is too early for you to trust us. At present we are likely just viewed as itinerant strangers."
"Perhaps after a decade of good relations we will be just considered itinerant."

"May I ask - do you directly rule the old Atlanteans or act more as their venerated deity? We wish to understand them too and find their good graces. "

[size=150]"I do not rule them," [/size]Arviderax replies. [size=150]"They live a long way away from here, in the Inland Sea, I believe." [/size]He shakes his huge head.[size=150] "No, they simply venerate me when they appear for their ceremonies, as is right and proper. But I warn you, they hate surface dwellers with a passion undying. I'm surprised to see one with you now, their hatred is so great. They consider me pure because I am a sea dragon. It is unlikely that they will treat with you in any way save with hostility."[/size]

[size=150]"But tell me, what is it you wish of me? Simply my forbearance?"[/size]

"We seek to have a harmonious relationship to all the creatures where the Island of Atlantis will be raised. The Wizards involved each have personal desires within the endeavour of raising and inhabiting the island. First and foremost is the establishment of our presence. "
"Your acceptance of our presence and forbearance is needed for us to progress in a proper manner. This locale is highly desirable to us. Personally I think we would also be foolish not to seek your guidance and wisdom, but I also do not wish to bother you with trivial matters. I have been told before by less powerful entities than yourself that the needs of mortals are transient. "
"Already you have confirmed our suspicion - that the Atlanteans will hate or fear us. This is not ideal. "

Aquarian interjects "Ideal or not, it was inevitable. Given how they have rejected me simply for having been brought to the surface, I would think their feelings regarding surface dwellers would be clear. There is only one way to resolve the conflict, we must bring them all to the surface, so we may be one culture again. But alas, that is not the Atlantis we have found."

[size=150]"The Atlantean is correct," [/size]Arviderax replies.[size=150] "Conflict with the other Atlanteans is invitable if you intend to settle here. Even if you settled beneath the waves, they would still hate you. I believe you would be wasting your time if you tried to negotiate with them. Ideal or not, it is a fact."[/size]

[size=150]"As for me,"[/size] he adds, [size=150]"I spend most of my time here in my retreat. I leave perhaps once a month to hunt and stretch my wings. It would not trouble me too greatly to be on the surface, if I were duly compensated for the trouble. My hoard could always use more treasure. And I will admit a fondness for sheep and cattle, which I have not had for many years now. Fish are delicious. But after a few hundred years of just that, I could use a change. And then there's vis. As you know, my kind hungers for vis as much as we hunger for wealth or meat."[/size]

[size=150]"Yes," [/size]he concludes. [size=150]"If the price were right, in gold, food, and vis, and I were guaranteed my home and my privacy, I should allow you to raise the island."[/size]

"Then I am certain that we can come to an arrangement," Magnus adds. "As Constantine says, we seek only harmony with you. And it is our plan to bring sheep and cattle with us when we raise the island. It may take some time to get herds together. But in time, we will have a regular supply of mutton and beef for you. Gold and vis can also be provided. What would you wish as tribute?"

[size=150]"Well,"[/size] the dragon says, drawing the word out.[size=150] "The Atlanteans pay me three large whales, a hundred weight of silver - or it's equivalent in gold and gems, and four vis for their interruptions each year. Your intrusion would be greater, so a greater tribute would be necessary. I would require one cow, or three sheep each month, three hundred weight of silver - or its equivalent each year, and ten vis per year."[/size]

OOC: Sorry this has languished. We're in a spot where there are only two players and me interacting, so things can slow down. I try not to have too many conversations with myself.

[hr][/hr]
"Let us retire and come up with a proposal," Mangus replies with a bow. "Say, we will return in seven days' time with a proposal for you?"

The dragon nods. [size=150]"I find that acceptable,"[/size] he says. [size=150]"Until then, I wish you well."[/size] He lowers his head and apparently goes back to sleep.

With that, the group retires from the dragon's abode.

[hr][/hr]
Is there anything more going on down here? Otherwise I'll regroup everyone on the island for discussion.

Works for me.

Works for me. Phobia will comment they're probably dopplegangers.

OOC: I was hoping for a bit more comment, but I'll press on.

About an hour later, the group finds itself reunited on the island, gathered around the small table Magnus fashioned. Quickly everyone is brought up to speed on what happened below the waves.

"Well," Magnus says to the gathered group. "Success tempered with a challenge. I have my own thoughts on the matter. But this is not a decision to be taken lightly. What do the rest of you think about the situation?"

"Initially I thought we might defeat or subdue the dragon, as we liked do not need additional magical expenses. However I'm taken now to recommend we find a way to align the dragon to us. At the very least it will provide an exceptional magical anchor and a powerful aura. "
"I haven't thought far beyond that, except perhaps we have no assurance that the beast rules as widely as it says. "

Meliai ponders this "the price is indeed high, and if we did slay the dragon its body would make for an anchor as well, as would its death site, but if we fail it departs, leaving us bereft of aura and with a powerful enemy. I wonder if it would be open to negotiations involving more food and less vis. Of course defeating the Atlanteans might improve our negotiating position."

"We could explore the area around the sunken island to try and see if the dragon holds control," Magnus offers. "Though really, with no civilization nearby it hardly matters. I think we should consider the power of the dragon and how far he could extend his power if he wished. That's what's truly relevant."

"We should also consider the practical value of having a dragon in residence beyond just Arua. If he's living in our covenant, then presumably he has reasons to dislike invaders as much as we do. He could be a valuable ally, if placated with tribute. He might also be a good information source if he's been living in this area for as long as it seems he has."

"I'm not sure how defeating the Atlanteans would help us, though," he adds. "Right now they're giving Arviderax tribute. If we stop that without giving him our own tribute, then he's likely to be upset. Besides, I thought that the best way of dealing with the Atlanteans was to raise the island. Once the temple district is on dry land, we may well discourage them from visiting - or at least if there's conflict it will take place on dry land where we'll have the advantage."

"For my part, I think that we should come to an agreement with the dragon - for as little vis as we can manage, of course - and then raise the island. The Atlanteans can wait for another day."

OOC: FWIW, just so you know, when it comes time to move to New Atlantis, I'm going to give everyone BPs to make a new covenant. This will represent gathered resources and resources donated by sympathetic covenants. So you'll have a chance to have vis sources. I can understand that you don't want to devote any more of them to paying tribute to a dragon. But I wanted to make sure you knew that you will have some vis available for that purpose.