Spring 1221: Underwater Diplomacy

"Good luck in your efforts," the Atlantean replies. "I always thought you exiles got the short end of the stick." He shrugs as if to say 'but what can you do?'

Then he turns and swims off.

It's relatively easy for Aquarian to find a small octopus willing to get a rock from the center of town.

Having the rock he returns to New Atlantis and brings it to one of the Magi. "We should get this fixed as a ... whatever the connection is you mages keep going on about. It came from the nearest Atlantean city, and if they attack you can use it for retribution. I have some ideas on that, but first I need to finish recruitment then address my fellow Atlantean exiles."

(after recruitment is finished)
"My fellow exiles, welcome to New Atlantis. during our time in exile some of us have become more comfortable with he land while others wish to remain in the sea. This new land will be one of choices, where land and sea are but the first of these. On this island are temples which were used by the preists of Atlantis before they were raised to the surface and used by land dwellers, tainted, I suppose, the same way we are supposedly tainted. The main one of these, the temple of Poesiden, is one where I will ask these land dwellers about sharing usage of the building with any exiles who wish to regain a sense of our spiritual path. The priests of the old way are unhappy about this island, but it has offered us refuge, a place where we can join together and build a new Atlantean community, in defiance of those who would cast us out and treat us as lesser people. The priests may come, for the island, or for us, but we are pledged to mutual defense, and these magi will stand with us as we stand with them, to defend our new homes, where we finally have a chance to rebuild- families, community...we will embrace the surface, trade with the surface, and for those of us who can stand both depth and surface, embrace the full capabilities of our heritage. It does not pollute us, it makes us stronger, and with this strength we will defy those who cast us out, defy them with our community, with our success, with our happiness, and if necessary, with our armaments!"

[size=150]Winter 1221[/size]

Pre + Leadership check: 1D10+8 = [5]+8 = 13; good success

The gathered exiles of Atlantis are impressed by Aquarian's demeanor and his words. Not all agree to stay at New Atlantis, but most do. Some have simply become too independent over their years as exiles. The remaining Atlanteans are concerned about what their own Atlantis may do to the island, but are happy to finally have the community of their fellow Atlanteans again. Given the threats to the island, they propose creating a new settlement named Eppineao beneath the waves in the protection of Bonisagus Bay. There they can help with fishing and other watery ventures. Enough have spent time above the water to be comfortable dealing with those on the surface. Some have even taken human husbands or wives who can form the backbone of the fishermen of Bonisagus Bay.

All in all, Duncan and Aquarian have gathered about two-dozen Atlanteans, a handful of mixed-blood human/Atlanteans, as well as the human spouses for some of the exiles. The hope is that as word spreads of the colony of exiled Atlanteans, more will join who hear about it.

Achievement Unlocked: The Atlantean settlement will start as a Lesser Income Source in fishing in Bonisagus Bay. It can be improved to a Typical Income Source by recruiting human fishermen and getting them boats and equipment for fishing. (It also has the potential to become Greater with enough growth). I'll say you get a half-dozen fisherfolk already as most of the spouses of the Atlanteans are either fishermen or fishwives. At present the Atlanteans all speak Greek, though the half-Atlanteans and humans speak a variety of tongues.

For informational purposes- does the income source get assigned to a canton since the eventual concept will be that each canton contributes to the support of the main covenant?
I doubt anyone will raise a huge hoopla about it now, but it could matter latter...

Aquarian will then chat with the magus he gave the rock to. "I grabbed this, or had it grabbed, thinking it could be a useful connection thingie especially if we can lift this city out of the sea, even if just until dawn for a night raid, or until sunset. If we invade the city, everyone there becomes exiled, and we may be able to appoint one of our refugees as the new head of the city, depending on how well things go. In the event they actually attack of course. If it comes to that I think demonstrating the ability to create exiles en masse will be a huge contribution to our victory."

Good question - I'd expect the source goes to the canton. The central covenant might expect to help seed the cantons to encourage later growth.

Would Aquarian be the de facto leader of those Atlanteans? Therefore take residence with them..in Magnus's canton?

That is my take on it as well, it should go to the canton where it is located.

Also what is the possibility (in the future) of it splitting off other income sources for other cantons? Danusylvania and Ragnaroc both border the bay as well...

I was thinking that for the fishing income source, it could be split between Danusylvania and Atlantia, since it was the result of efforts by Aquarian and Duncan. No reason that the proceeds can't be split in half.