Steel: Anachronistic?

I think you mean "those particular authors" are strident - the article has more Wiki disclaimer and "This article appears to contain speculation and unjustified claims" banners than most any I've seen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

I did notice that. :slight_smile:

The steel you are thining of used the mineral Vandium as part of the alloy. Vandium was also probably used in Damascene and Toledo steel. Up until they ran out that is. I will have to check to make certain.
But i do know that historically, Toledo steel was considered superior to the steel being crafted in other parts of Europe, and they were exporting swords all over the place. You average knight in England was most likely carring a Spanish-made longsword.

This story was told to me by my Logic lecturer. I have no idea whether it's true, but here it is.

Napoleon was due to enter a town that had surrendered to him in advance of his army's arrival. Word had been sent ahead to warn the town that the emperor expected a gun salute as he entered the gates. When, however, no such salute was given, Napoleon sent for the town's mayor to demand an explanation.
"Majesty," said the mayor, "there are three reasons why there was no salute: first, we have no ammunition; second..."
"Stop there," commanded the emperor, "If your first reason is good enough, you don't need the other two - it makes it seem as though you have something to hide."

I think that we have come up with a telling illustration of the difference between between logic and rehetoric here.