Stranger Danger (Winter 1236)

"What if you were to teleport in, look around to see where it was, then teleport back? Right now the biggest issue is finding the child."

Vocis, Master of Imaginem. You have the power to render thyself impercetable. Do you think you could scout the location undetected?

Before continuing the magic discussion, Vocis reponds in Catalan/Occitan, Yes madam, that may be best. Our servants will see to your needs and one of us will inform you when we have further information.

It depends on several variables, the most prominent of which is whether the boy is within an Aegis. If he is, I can hear him and possibly speak to him but not much else. If not, I can see him, possibly his surroundings, and effect the teleport rescue you described. The presumed magus hasn't had time to open the boy's Arts. As for covertly scouting on-site, that depends entirely on whether the magus or any other being present possesses the Sight.

Well, give it a try maybe?

Ok, the first spell will be a non-fatiguing spont to determine if he's in an Aegis or otherwise protected against magic in some way - InIm base 1 (sight), AC range +4, duration Momentary, total spell level 5 with 1 penetration in the unlikely event that matters. This will give Vocis a brief look at the kid, but not his surroundings.

There is no resistance to the spell, the child is huddled up in what looks like fear, with tears on his face.

Vocis opens his eyes long enough to say He's not in an Aegis, then proceeds to the next spell. This will be an InIm fatiguing spont, sight-based like the first one, only with Concentration duration and Room target for a total level of 20. He'll use forceless casting to reduce the risk of Code violations. Sta 1 + In 7 + Im 20 + aura 5 + roll 8 = 41/2 = 20. I guess forceless casting wasn't necessary. :slight_smile:

Tell us Vocis! What do you see? What can we do?

The spell fails, apparently the child is not in a room.

((which is itself a useful piece of information))!

Then we now get into an issue I really should have resolved a long time ago - The Silent Conversation. This is a Cr(In)Me 30 spell that Vocis learned as his primary means of two-way mental communication. Unfortunately, it's a Grimoire spell that the troupe has determined isn't designed quite right. I think the conclusion was that it's a magnitude short as written, so Vocis would need to boost it to level 40 to cast it at AC range. Difficult, but possible. Before I do, I want to make sure we're ok with me using my vague memory as a temporary fix.

Works for me. Silveroak?

I get 35 with arcane range, but I was working from InMe base 15 and not including the "elaborate effect" so 40 works fine for me

Moving right along...
Vocis! What do you discern? Should I use Seven League Stride to sweep in and snatch the child? I could fly him back here. Turn me invisible first could you? Eh?

((Sorry, moving from Philly to St. Louis this week, leaving one job, prepping for another. I'll be back on tonight or tomorrow morning to respond again. Things should settle down next week. And yes, I know I keep saying that. :confused: ))

After the second spell, Vocis says The boy is apparently not indoors. Or in a container, I suppose. I think I'd be better served to contact him mentally rather than verbally, since he may not be in a position to speak freely. I need a few things first, though. Vocis steps outside the room and instructs a guard/servant to do two things - go tell Mica to bring 5 pawns of Mentem vis from Vocis's personal stores and bring the mother back to the waiting area. With that Vocis sits down to rest and says I'm not convinced snatching the child is a good idea. My admittedly limited understanding of the Code's intricacies suggests we may be in the wrong by doing so. I also can't contact Solomon in the Magic Realm. Fleur, are any of the available journeymen well-versed in the Code?

((Looking at the wiki, I see that Solomon is Kesara's mentor but she's not statted. She may be our best bet.))

"Not well versed, to my knowledge. This however is something I have a bit of an interest in. Technically an apprentice is not an apprentice until their arts have been opened, but generally they are recognized in a near equivalent state from the time a formal offer of instruction is made until one full season has passed. Of course at this point we do not know that any formal offer has been made, we just know the boy has been grabbed off the street, they may well have been traveling and the mage, if the abductor is indeed a mage, may not have had time to make a formal offer. Certainly there is nothing to require us to assume that he has."

Kesara has been studying the Code. Her hope is to one day become a Flambeau Quasitor. I kep forgetting about Kesara. She is my little ce in the Hole :mrgreen:
Fleur is Right. Until the Arts are opened the child is not yet an Apprentice. This takes a full season and the abductor has not yet had time. However, just snatching the child away may be an ill advised aggression. It may be best to confront this other magus first. And then there is the question of Scrying. To scry for the child is bordering upon scrying upon this other magus. He may raise an issue as to how you located him.
I am not saying you can't dance an argument around these things. You jus need to keep your story straight. We don't know for fact that the abductor is a magus. Scrying for a missing child and finding them is perfectly legit. Say that to the abductor when you meet him, if he is a magus. Further, at no point do we admit we ever suspected the abductor is a magus. Anyway, you confront the guy, and if you can't cut a deal with him, try Fleur's Bonisagus rights.
My opinion? This is all a bit sticky and best avoided. Yet I truly do have compassion for the child's mother and the people of Arans that have supported us for generations. If the child is Gifted, another thing we do not yet know or should admit to suspecting, if he is Gifted it would be so much nicer if he were traned here and remain with his mother and prove himself to his people. Otherwise, in fifteen years we may have a young magus returning to Arans with a score to settle against the kids that used to pick on him.

The vis and the boy's mother are brought to the room.

sorry, shouldn't have posted this here, posting error

I didn't really see a need for a creo requisite bonus given that the creo doesn't really add anything to the spell over a guideline of 'converse with any human, read surface thoughts'. So base 15, +4 for arcane connection, and +1 for concentration duration.