Structure footprints

Does anyone know of some good guidelines or a reference of some sort I can use to determine the size of various kinds of buildings? I'm especially looking for 'footprints' in square feet, since that ends up being meaningful for Room and Structure targets and the sizes of hermetic laboratories.

For example, how big is a 'typical' manor house, keep, or castle? Can you fit a hermetic laboratory in a house in a town, or would it have to be in a hidden basement or an unusually large house or something? Is there a reasonable limit on size for a building (built by mundane means, not magic) before it starts to seem absurd in-setting? Etc.

I know realistically these answers are going to vary a lot from location to location in the medieval world, but I barely have even a rough sense of what's reasonable at the moment.

EDIT:

Further research finally found the information I needed in Lords of Men.
For anyone curious, there's some information on the size of a typical manor hall on page 74, and on peasant housing on page 91.
Looks like there's some information on various castle sizes as well, on page 110, though understandably more vague.

Still, if anyone has any other references or useful comments, I'd appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Depends on how much you´re willing to spend on getting it built. So effectively, no actual limit as long as whoever is doing the architechtural parts has the knowledge and skill required. You can pretty much build any size by just being excessive(think pyramid style), but the more you want specific look or anything, the more complex an overly large building will be.

You can also look at real world examples of extreme sizes, like the temple of Artemis, 115m(377ft) long, 46m wide, and while huge and impressive, it is technically nowhere near any limits of how big you CAN build without the slightest use of magic, like i said, it´s just a matter of how much you´re willing to pay to get the size you want.

You might find this helpful:
history.stackexchange.com/questi ... al-england
It´s obviously not allcovering and perfect, but it gives some information you might otherwise not find out.

Might get a few hints from this:
exploring-castles.com/mediev ... ayout.html

Pics and stuff about real houses that have survived since late medieval, potentially very useful:
archaeology.co.uk/articles/p ... ngland.htm