Stupid Question no 6: Below level 5 of WHAT exactly?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. The system for calculating the level of a spell is slightly wacky and highly fudged, but it is stated unambiguously in the rulebook. Unfortunately the rulebook is not written to be a reference manual, so you have to read all the relevant sections and work through the examples, but once you know what you're looking for you can find it.

Well, it mostly fixes the broken rule. It's not that bad.

What's that in Geek Code (er, I mean ArM code)? G++++?

What's that in Geek Code (er, I mean ArM code)? G++++?

I dunno. It refers to the fact that when I started role-gaming there were just these three little booklets and a supplement called Greyhawk.

Dinosaurs First Class started role-gaming when there were just the three booklets.

Dinosaurs Third Class started when there were just the three booklets, Greyhawk and Blackmoor.

The rest of you are Johnny-come-latelies and probably warm-blooded (ugh!) as well.

Actually, in base 2, 2 is 10 and 10+10=100. Computer geeks (such as me) are familiar with bases 2,8,10 and 16. :slight_smile:

Well, I'm sorry, but I just can't explain our mysteries to a non-cultist :wink:

Oups!
And here I am, just following his error :laughing:
Thank you very much, I feel I am still far from the inner circle of the Order of the Silicon Calculators :wink:

By demonstrating, and giving other examples, that it is a simple, self contained system (not a botched fudge or bodge), just not necessarily a familiar one.

The man asked for a detailed explanation in simple language. That means lots of unnecessary extra stuff for those that 'get' it straight away. It also means coming at an explanation from multiple directions in the hope that one of them sticks.

Personally I find it an extremely simple and elegant method that does a great job in achieving the sort of magical balance that makes low level spells easy for any mage, mid level spells harder but achievable and awesome rituals still achievable with experienced PCs. It took me all of 10 seconds to grasp. But I can understand (intellectually at least) that others may have a harder time of it.