summer 1202 seeking the hedgies

Ignoring the glances from the other fishermen, Illugi gathers the small band who are on the ship to seek out rumors and informs them of what we are looking for. "I want you all to seek out rumors of strange occurrences, haunted sites, rumors of witches, pagans like ourselves, non-Christian hermits, wise men, and the like. Speak to the traders and inn keeps, I doubt many of the sorts we are actually looking for are here in this town but, perhaps, inland in the mountains." He gives them each a small bag of coin to help loosen tongues or wet them. "We will meet back here about sunset... Now go." And he follows them down the plank and up the dock into the town, looking for an inn he can use his own charm to hopefully find some things out... though the gift might prove an impediment to his own search.

Most of the crew heads for the nearest tavern house, one which is obviously there to cater to sailors, fisherman and travelers. The staff might know something of the local lore, but the patronage is unlikely to know much. Traveling a bit further into town you find a general supply store, set up to sell imported goods to locals, which is far more likely to have people about with the information you require.

Illugi heads to the supply store, purchases some provisions and while dealing with the shopkeep asks, “Heard any interesting tales from the mountains recently?”

" Yes, depending on what you mean by interesting, or recently."

Illugi smiles warmly, "Tales from within the last year or two, should probably cover what I'm curious about. Of particular interest are tales of witches, wise folk, pagans, and the like."

" Oh sure, lots of stories about those these last few years, while the church was all busy with politics. Why do you ask?" He eyes you suspiciously.

"We are heading that way and I was hoping for some sort of warning of the sort of dangers we should try and avoid. I have heard in other towns that folks of that sort have been more flagrant in their pagan ways," Illugi lies.

[need a guile roll?]

"Oh yes, you could certainly say that, but their good folk, whatever you may have heard. Don't go looking for them and they've no reason to do you harm."

“Ah, well that’s good to know.” Then, leaning in conspiratorially, “to be honest, I would still love to hear those stories, the real reason is I have a girl back home who loves tales of the heathens and witches.”

"I suspect he tales that are told by the church are far more interesting than the tales told by those in these parts. Would your girl truly be interested in how a pagan priest journeyed through the dreams of a young man hunting seeking the spirit which troubled his mind? Or gave blessing to the crops?"

“She’s fascinated by just such stories. How they can think so wrongly.”

He looks at you sideways, the suspcion obvious "Is she now?"

As you speak with the bartender a man enters the tavern with extremely pale skin. The bartender chuckles "Hey Vallju, these men are looking for pagans, don't suppose you would know where there are any."

Vallju nods at the bartender, and asks him to bring him a jug of mead. It was a good mead, and after a hearty sip, he turned to the man and speaks in halting Norse "Ya might find some 'pagan's in the mountains, or further north on the coast, where the church hasn't arrived yet. Are you here to convert them?" He says with his head cocked to the side. This guy doesn't look like a churchman, and in fact, vallju felt some chills running down his back being near this man. Is he one of those hocus-pocus guys?
"But if you decide to go either way, remember that with the snow having melted, there's a chance for avalanches. It's best to be careful traveling the mountains."

I'm going to close this down, it turns out to have been less an adventure and more a season of regional exploration- 7xp in area lore (fjords) to all involved. Vallju is introduced to the saga.