Summer 1220, Chapter 3c: An Unexpected Collapse

Bind Wounds doesn't heal the wound temporarily, it just keeps them from worsening when you move around. It's not like 4th ed where you could spont a sun-duration CrCo and heal your wounds for the rest of the day.

(OOC - Ah, yes. You need a higher base. But it's no problem: Temporarily Healing the Scratch (CrCo30 - Base 15, +1 Touch, +2 Sun - This heals a light wound for a day. When the duration ends the wound returns.) The big difference is the Momentary/Permanent change. True healing via Momentary CrCo has become much lower level than temporary healing, which also means it causes less warping. If you're not going to use Vis, it's better to use Bind Wound and maybe Endurance of the Berserkers until you get home, at which point you can use Purification of the Festering Wounds. You would rarely get Warping from this process and the spells are generally easier to cast.)

Iapetus is ON his way! He is, however, not at the greatest of speeds for some reason. I blame distraction of his mind. (And his lack of ability to help much.)

I made some random rolls, none of which botched, so it doesn't matter which of you cast it; Sanno can be sustained for the entire season. Does anyone wish to bind him? He is an exceptionally intelligent creature who has eaten a lot of vis in learning Magic Theory, and being exceptionally nimble (and having thumbs!) he can help in the lab quite well.

"I would be happy to bind such an honorable otter if he would have me, but he may well prefer another. Sanno, can you hear me? Is the pain lessened? Would you like to join with another magus?"

Attravere looks a bit surprised at Rhodri.

"I too would bond with Sanno i-if Maribus is truly d-dead." Attravere declares.

Attravere sighs, dries his eyes a bit and breaths deeply. "Thank you for all you've done, Chayyim. I understand this is not easy work we keep bringing before you."

"I must leave for a little. I will return as soon as I can." Attravere will transport himself to outside Liliana's home and knock.

The doctor smiles sadly and clasps a hand on the young magus' shoulder. For oftentimes, medicine is the easiest aspect of a doctor's work.

Attravere "knocks" at Liliana's pond by picking up a small white pebble from a stone bowl and dropping it carefully at the edge of the pond.

A few minutes later, the river nymph emerges. "Greetings to you, young one. Have you come for tea?"

Using the short bit of travel time to further steady himself, Attravere replies stoically and all-in-the-same-breath. "No, thank you for the offer of tea. Sanno is in Chayyim's hut. We believe Maribus may be dead. Will you come?"

Her face falls. "If Maribus has passed, then my healing arts cannot aid the little otter, but I would offer what comfort I can." As she steps out of the pool, she wiggles her fingers and a set of clean (if damp) clothing drapes itself around her. Liliana then accompanies Attravere to the doctor's home.

Iapetus's jog brings him along after a bit of diversions, having had some trouble finding his way. The fact he didn't come running immediately apparently left him without a guide to follow, so it is this late he trots up to Chayyim's hut, likely after some direction from a Covenfolk.

When Iapetus arrives, he sees a Jewish man holding a damp cloth to the otter's forehead, and an otherworldly woman holding the otter's paw in both of her long, web-fingered hands. Nearby, Attravere and Rhodri are quietly discussing who should bind the otter as a familiar to save his life.

Iapetus shakes his head sadly and sighs. "I am sorry I am late to such trouble. I shall endeavor to learn my way around better in case of future emergencies." He takes a long look around before adding, "And it seems I am not much use here, either."

"Sanno, can you hear us? Can you give us a sign that you understand us?"

The otter's eyes flutter, and while he can't focus them, he looks in your direction and gives a slight nod.

"I hope the pain is more tolerable now. You appear to be dying because your master has either entered final twilight or has died, either way lost to the world. We can save you, but you may not want to be saved that way. There are two of us who would be happy to bind such an honorable otter. Do you understand? Nod your head for yes, shake your head for no." Assuming Sanno nods, "If you would like to be bound to another magus, nod your head. If you would prefer not to be bound again, shake your head." Rhodri looks for this response, somewhat fearing Sanno is so distraught he will just want to die.

Tears leak from the corners of Sanno's eyes. "Will anyone... help me... avenge... my friend? Promise me.... vengeance... and I will... serve..." He clutches his tiny paws into fists and struggles to rise, but the effort proves too much for him and he falls back onto the sickbed.

Concerned, Chayyim and Liliana simultaneously rush to check his vitals, then look up at each other abashedly. The fae maga gestures concession to the doctor; Chayyim turns and informs you, "No cause for alarm; he overtaxed himself, and is unconscious, but his pulse is steady."

"I don't want anyone binding him in return for vengeance. Vengeance is all well and good and will be carried out to honor Sanno. But Sanno should make the choice freely, knowing his request will be honored regardless of his choice."

Attravere will break into tears to see Sanno's state and hear the confirmation of his mentor's passing.

Placing a paw between his hands Attravere bows his head and whispers, "Sanno... Maribus will be avenged."

Taking a very deep breath and a slow exhale that could be mistaken for a sigh Attravere will turn toward Rhodri with tearlines untouched and as calm an expression as he can muster - "Maribus was a kind, gentle and respected man. If there is foulness afoot then the villain will pay. It is not a question of honoring Sanno. It is a matter of justice."

The otter must hear Attravere's words, because the young magus feels the tiny paw squeeze his hand.

"Rhodri, I would speak with you outside." Attravere says, gesturing to the door.