Surprisingly exceptional grogs

Oh, cool. My Grogs book is hundreds of miles away for a while. Nice to hear a way past that issue.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it did sound funny.

OK, I think I have nearly broken something, but I need some good eyes to finish breaking it. I just had this idea come to mind and so haven't spent enough time searching carefully to see if I can guarantee the brokenness.

Communication +3

Virtues:

Alluring to Faeries (HoH:MC p.86)
Bonding (RoP:F p.111 & p.132-133)
Faerie Background (RoP:F p.112)
Good Teacher

Flaws:

Branded Criminal
Faerie Upbringing
(1 more point)

I still need something to guarantee a low-Might faerie companion of some sort without using a Story Flaw (grog, after all) if Alluring to Faeries isn't enough to convince the troupe. That one could be dropped if necessary since it's mostly there to have that companion be happy sticking with the grog. Anyone want to help here?

Now you have this grog using Bonding once on the faerie companion to push off aging rolls forever. Sure, at 1 Warping Point per year for a millennium, this grog is going to be seriously warped. But that's OK. Meanwhile the grog has a pile of Abilities at scores of 9, including Teaching. So this grog can teach everyone else in the covenant all sorts of stuff all the way up to level 9, and very quickly at that. If the Teaching specialty is "groups" or similar, even large groups could be provided with a Source Quality of 3 + Com 3 + GT 5 + Teaching 10 = 21, or figuring this character will be given a suitable teaching lab that would probably be 24. Meanwhile the covenant can help keep the faerie happy.

Hi,

Finish breaking it? Make him a sahir rather than a grog. Aging rolls are put off forever and absurdly high Warping doesn't take him out of play, unlike Twilight. The faerie 'companion' can also be built right in, since he's a sahir. This only improves an existing sahir optimization, and is not pure new 'breakage'.

EDIT: Or maybe the Sahir optimization is so extended that it makes Sahirs as a group even more potent, now featuring even more older elders. Even the most basic Sahir, with only one Solomonic Art plus some summoning Ability, can now benefit from the tradition's non-lethal Warping penalty mechanic, bringing it within the range of ordinary companions who specialize in a Solomonic Art that doesn't help aging.

Not remembering well atm, but:

Do we have any other magic or supernatural traditions whose Twilight-analog doesn't necessarily retire or kill the character?

Do we have anything that benefits from a high Warping Score? (I think Variable Power from RoP:M might.)

Anyway,

Ken

As you say, "rather than a grog." But the point was to make "exceptional grogs." Sahir isn't available for grogs since each bit is a Major Virtue.

Divine Ascension, but that requires a Major Virtue. There may be others.

Well, this grog would have several positive Faerie Sympathies, all of which have very high caps due to the high Warping Score. Divine Ascension, but that requires a Major Virtue. There may be others.

Hi,

One point is to make exceptional grogs. Another, yours, was to use your idea to break things. Getting both is certainly better. But I was willing to settle.

Anyway,

Ken

As for "really long lived" grogs (who can then claim tons of starting xp)...

I do not think I would allow "Alluring to faeries" to guarantee bonding with a faerie god from the times of the Romans. One reason is that it does not say so; when I try to stretch mechanics to and beyond their limits, when in doubt I always take the interpretation least in favour of said stretching. The other reason is fuzzier, but it boils down to "no faeries without stories, no stories only about grogs, so no faeries revolving around grogs". While I freely admit that there are a number of arguments that can be made against this point, particularly if stated so vaguely, do note that you can make a grog with magic might, or give a grog a "sidekick" that has magic might, but you cannot do it with faerie might: a faerie is a companion, and a faerie friend is a Story Flaw. The one exception is, of course, a grog who has been "Fabled up" (RoP:F) into a faerie ... though again, this lasts only as long as the current story does!

On the other hand, it is certainly possible, in fact almost easy, to create a grog who has experienced an extremely long pre-game life supported by Magic. The drawback is, of course, the tremendous warping involved -- roughly speaking, "no-aging" is probably a strong continuous effect not tailored to the grog, granting 5 warping points/year. A grog who is 250 or so then has a whopping Warping score of 20, i.e. 15 Major Flaws. And since Major Flaws do not count unless they really have a major, negative impact on the character (Personality and Story Flaws being and exception, but etc.etc.)... hmmm :slight_smile:

The Infernal obviously grants an even easier path, and when you have been Mentored by Demons, there is no limit to your starting score in an ability!

Ya. That's why I asked if anyone could find a solution to that problem. Magical Mount almost works, but it explicitly says "Magical." If it were just supernatural, that would work.