tainted story flaws

No, I was explaining my point which had clearly been missed and so must have needed explanation. I'd tried to say it concisely before so as just to mention it, but that was clearly not enough because your response not only missed my reference entirely but also went into explaining intricacies of the English language to me to help me understand better.

If you really quote the "entirety" of the box to which I was referring, you'll see at the bottom that it specifically says later supplements may contain other types of Summoning (not the same Summoning based on a different realm but an entirely different type of Summoning) that are not tainted. It explicitly mentions the faerie one (which later shows up in RoP:F) and the animal one (which later shows up in HoH:S). There is also the elemental Summoning that shows up in TSE. Later, tC&tC explains the same thing as RoP:tI. For clarity here:

(Spirit) Summoning (the version in RoP:tI) - either purely infernal or associated with another realm and necessarily tainted
(Elemental) Summoning (as in TSE) - need not be tainted
(Faerie) Summoning (as in RoP:F) - need not be tainted
(Animal) Summoning (HoH:S) - need not be tainted

(I wrote "need not be tainted" instead of "not tainted" to avoid dealing with the potential application of taint, such as by False Power.)

That's interesting. I just got a chance to glance quickly. I did note that Tainted Virtues are written as having taint (lower-case). Could it be that "Tainted" is a label that only has meaning vis-a-vis tainted characters and Virtue limits? Meanwhile "Tainted" has no actual in-game effect past character creation, but "tainted" is the entirely in-game effect? I'd have to read further.

Yup, it's a different thing entirely. It's really unfortunate these things weren't labeled differently. But tC&tC agrees with RoP:tI entirely on this one, and when those are read while looking at other books like RoP:F we see those do not contradict the original RoP:tI statements at all.

Yes, I can see what you're saying and it's the direction I was starting to head after Tellus's comment about capital versus lower case. Of course, just to add confusion, they seem to be "tainted" characters instead of "Tainted" characters. It seems odd that the categorization that pairs them with those Virtues and Flaws would switch from being capital to lower case. I'd have to investigate a lot further.

That sounds right, but I'd have to check in the books later.

That's how I interpret it. Obviously, I might be wrong, but so far, but the Atlas Gaming Police has yet to knock on my door (for that).

What it says on page 82 (now that I can check it):

So, there aren't any that don't have another type. In response to the original post, the other Tainted Story Flaws are for characters who are not "tainted characters" but who have been tainted by the infernal all the same.

Also, that wasn't meant as limiting Tainted Virtues and Flaws only to tainted characters or as a result of Infernal Warping; Tainted Virtues and Flaws can be gained other ways a character can gain Virtues or Flaws too.