Take the truth with many grins of salt (Spring 1234)

Species are not brightness. See this bit by Mark Shirley.
See also Phantasmal Fire, which must use an Ignem requisite to produce light (or else, you don't see the fire in darkness). BTW, Flash of the scarlet flame is only CrIg "create light", there's no species involved.
Finally, see Mien of Helios, in MoH, which is, IIRC, a personnal range Flash of the scarlet flame, and lists explicitly that it is resisted.

So...
1d10=1 Woot!
1d10=10
That's a 20! :smiley:

Well, antoni doesn't know this. He thinks the Drake will breathe fire or something, and the Lion of Andorra is bravely ready to lay his body before Vibria, protecting the maga from harm at his own expense.

Fortunately, Arnau and the Flame Brothers have seized Initiative. Attack total of 30 versus a defense of Doge 9 and a stress die equals 1d10+9=15.
Attack Advantage of 15 plus Damage of 8 equals 23, versus Soak of 15 equals 8, which equals four Medium Wounds. I think there are at least three Flame Brothers fighting alongside Arnau, so that multiplies the number of wounds by four. Am I correct as to the number of combatants?
Then the wyrm exhales a salt clud that dehydrates all that it contacts, inflicting +15 damage. With a stress die, this equals 1d10+15=19.
This requires a Soak Roll. Armor offers no protection, but a Verditius Item of Quality with a Protection bonus would, since this is a roll.
And it ain't gonna kill anyone unless they botch.
Antoni, Javier, and Roger are back over by Vibria, they get to join the fight next round.
Vibria unleashes a Pilium of Fire. If she spends a point of Confidence it will Penetrate, for this is not the wyrm you think it is, for it only has a Resistance of 25. Presuming you do spend the confidence, damage is 15 versus soak 15, each adding a stress die, so I guess it comes down to a roll off :wink:
Wyrmy rolls a 1d10=6. Your turn :smiley:

Selim just stands there looking dumbfounded. He has seen many things and been many strange places. But this has gotta take the cake. Yet these soldiers fearlessly hack away at this monster and draw blood, the hawt maga is throwing fire at it, more soldiers rush in to join the fray. Javier and Roger ignite flaming swords. Antoni announces that he is the Lion of Andorra and leads the charge.

Alla be praised, Who Are these people?!?

Oh, yeah, then there is Maurice. A frickin' firedrake that Vibria rode in on.
Turning to his cousin, he speaks. This wyrm is clearly outmatched. You may loose two or three men at the most taking it down. I can tell it is not the same wyrm as Salaak. This one is slightly smaller. Might be an offspring claiming his parent's territory.
I suspected as much. I was on my way to see you when you ran into me outside your castle. Some of my treasure horde, the coins you gave me as my share of this horde, they crumbles into salt. There is an ancient ritual, grandfather know it, called Reclamation. Basically, treasure stolen from your horde is summoned back into your presence, replaced by burning coals. Salty here must be using a variant, and since he is obviously not Salaak, the only way the ritual would work for him is if he was a legitimate heir and Salaak was well and truly dead.
I think we can negotiate with him and force him to stand down.
[size=85]Then we kill him back-stab style and steal the treasure back[/size].

Xavi already rolled Initiative. So that is Antoni's Initiative :smiley:
I already said Antoni is leading the charge and gets to act next round, but with an Initiative of 20+ he will be the very first to act that round!
the order is...
Antoni 20
Arnau and the Flame Brothers 11
Javier and Roger 1d10+2=10
Wyrmy 9
Vibria 2
Selim ??

[i]Yeah, I discovered I can roll in invisible castle without being registered. Thanks a lot anyway! :slight_smile:

Interesting stuff about the lux/lumen/species thing. My original idea was to cause a flash of fire (not light) in front the drake, a surge of flames just in front of his face. However, this might need to be aimed, so I'd better invest in some Finesse for Arnau. Will think about coating an extremity (like the head) of the victim in flames as an alternative for a distraction. CrIg15 as well: B4 (+5 damage), +1 part, +2 voice. Not bad. :slight_smile: Needs penetration but hey. I am touching the drake (-1 magnitude) and (should) have blood of the critter on my blade. Should be feasible... [/i]

I think most of Selim's ogling is of the hot fire maga :smiley:

Soak Roll: 1 (soak) + 9 (die roll) = 10

So I think this means Selim takes 9 damage, which I believe means a Medium wound.

I assume Selim acts last in the next round, if he's allowed to act at all after his double botch.

The parching breath hits the Brothers straight. They receive the brunt of it and feel like their very life essence is being soaked out of them. They feel leathery and brittle. Berenguer kneels on the ground and Jordi almost collapses behind his shield. Arnau is not hit as heavily as the two front men. He feels the heat as his body tries to cope with the parching sensation. He cannot speak. NO! He MUST speak! Otherwise his men will be overcome buy the drake!
Joan, take point! Bring the beast down! Cut it down! With a grunt Joan moves forward and stabs at the drake. The other flame brothers grind their teeth and stand up shakily to retake the attack.

Most excellent :smiley:
I am quite sure you can bring this thing down. This is what I need (to be resolved in the following order)...

• Vibria's damage roll from her PoF
  • Vibria's response to Maurice
  • Antoni's Attack
  • Arnau and the Flamebrothers Attack

After that, I will apply the attack of Javier & Roger, then if the wyrm lives it will have it's turn to attack. Roll things in any order, the order that the results of these rolls shall be applied is as indicated above. The wyrm does indeed have a penalty to attack and defense. So does your Vanguard :wink:. Still, you have the advantage. Press it!

And Selim can act at the end of this new round, and his Initiative position shall ever be last for the duration of this encounter.

Damage was already rolled:

So, that means she does 1 point of Damage, which is a Light wound. Confidence would make it 4 points, which is still a Light wound, so no need to spend Confidence on Damage, just on the attack/Penetration.

Vibria smiles at Maurice, then turns to the wyrm, and takes a couple of steps closer.[color=red]"Son of Salaak, you have stolen what is ours by right of conquest! Yield, and return what belongs to us, and we may be merciful. Or continue to fight, and know that your death will be quick and painful! You have until the count of five to decide!

One...Two..Three...Four...deep rumbling breath...Five!"

If the wyrm does not yield, another Pilum of Fire right up the snoot.

The flame brothers attack again. They are parched from the wind, but they are getting the upper hand and know it. They press their attack. Dead enemies cannot hit you back. Arnau does not contribute to the attack since he will try to fry the drake. The Brothers will be spending Fatigue to get a boost to attack. Group bonus to attack.

Rolls for the Brothers (-5 from the heavy wound on the Vanguard +6 group bonus to attack):
1d10+13-5+6=17+7 fatigue = 24

Longsword damage +8.

Arnau, on his part tries to take advantage of the blood on his sword (+3 AC) and the fact that he is in touching distance of the drake and fry him while his companions distract it. He concentrates and touches the drake. His hand bursts into flames and so does the area where he touches the drake. He could contribute to the general slashing at the dragon and knows that would be the best idea, but he wants to show off in front of Vibria.
Spell effect to be used: CrIg15. Touch range fire doing +15 damage (Base 10, +1 touch)
Casting roll 1d10+18-3=24
Penetration 9+12 (4*3 for the Blood AC) = 21
Damage = 1d10+15=22 -3 for Arnau's medium wound = +19

Arnau grins wolfishly (and the drained skin of his face cracks a little as a consequence and makes the grin a grimace) as the smell of burned flesh reaches his nose. Gotcha! you bastard. I'm gonna make an everyday medallion out of your head-sized jewel he thinks

A Might of 25 resists the magic :smiley:
The group attack will likely finish him off, but before I roll for his defense I am waiting to see Antoni with Initiative 20 will do and resolve his roll first.

((though if the group attack kills him at the same time Arnau casts his spell, a dead creature with no might has no resistance so it will then burn, and it will look like Arnau killed it :wink: ))

And that last bt is the interesting part xD. Taking credit for something that he didn't do. Reminds me of some people I work with. Damn, Arnau is certainly a boss! cue Munch's The Scream here. I wrongly recalled a might of 15 for the drake. I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

Antoni
1d10=7
plus... wiki... 13, so that's a 20, so he passes, phew!

Oh. Since he isn't in a group, I don't think he'll be able to do much damage, but whatever! Emboldened by Arnau and his men's courage, he hacks at the thing (almost) fearlessly

Where's a ballista when you need it... Have at thee, foul beast!
1d10=5 + 13 = 18 to attack, and he'll exert himself for a + 7, to 25. If need be, he'll spend the Faith point to get to 28.
Longsword damage +9
1d10=5 again + 8 = 13 to defend. If he hasn't spend the faith point, he may spend it here to get to 16.

Actually, blood is +3 to penetration, not x3, so you get your skill4 :smiley: That's 9 + 16 (44) = 25!
if you spend confidence, you can burn it :smiley:

Ah, right. CONFIDENCE BURN! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Probably a waste as pointed out (swords would bring the beast down the same), but it looks cool 8)

The wyrm takes a Light wound from Vibria's PoF
Then Antoni attacks with a 28, the wyrm has +15 defense but is at -13 from injury, so that means his defense is 1d10+2=11, attack advantage 17 plus damage of 9 equals 26, versus soak 15 equals 11, another medium wound!
Then the Flame brothers...
Attack 24 versus defense 1d10-1=3 equals an attack advantage of 21, plus 8 damage is 29, versus soak 15 equals damage 14, Three More Medium Woinds and now at a wound penalty of -25!
With Confidence Arnau;s flame blast will Penetrate.
+19 damage versus a soak of 1d10+15-25=-6 equals 25 points of damage, and...
T.K.O.!!!!!!
Incapacitated by Arnau's fiery blast!

Now Selim may take an action :mrgreen:

Good thing you didn't kill it. I recognize that harness, the same sort that Pan Caudrax uses. It would have instantly revived him from the point of death. Indeed, be quick and cut it off of him, for it accelerates his natural healing!

Vibria steps aside (since she has no cutting tools to remove the harness) and all but leers at the harness (or, rather, the kite-shield-sized ruby). It almost like she's undressing it with her eyes.

Having done absolutely nothing useful yet, Selim quickly makes his way to the body of the wyrm and attempts to cut the harness off of him.

Jordi and Berenguer collapse to the ground immediately when the Wyrm goes down. They are heavily wounded and know that exerting themselves more will only make it worse. Joan is also wounded but hearing the instrictions from the Big Guys approaches a nearby house in search for an axe. If there is a smithy he will go there. Arnau remains with his fallen men. he puts a knee to the ground but remains vigilant of the drake. There are no obvious wounds in himself or his men, but their skins are starting to show lacerations simply from moving. It is so dry.

[Woman! bring us water! Those men are parched!

After saying that he will observe Selim trying to hack down the stone. He will try to see if there is any obvious system to remove it from the incapacitated wyrm.

Selim spies the clasp and is able to remove it most speedily and handily.

The wyrm lies still on the ground, breathing heavy and laboriously, bleeding from many wounds.

Presume that folk of the village with appropriate skills bring water and attend to the wounded. Maybe make recovery/stabilization rolls using a skill score of, say, around 3?
Arnau gains a point of confidence for landing the finishing blow on the wyrm.
Antoni still has the blue gossamer handkerchief, and it feels special to him.
Vibria is actually proud that the companions won the day on this one. Good, stout men. Well deserving of rewards and songs. And Selim will be your utter favorite once he brings that gem harness over to you :mrgreen: