The Day's Blank Slate: Angus (1220.1)

anything else you wanted to do on this thread, or just mingle and start making plans with the craftsmen?

After making some arrangements for the lab equipment and decorations, Angus will look for Elid again to discuss his responsibilities.

Eilid is usually easy to find. She's currently holed up in her laboratory with her grand-daughter inventing a spell.

Bonnie, an auburn-haired girl in her mid-teens, greets Angus at the door and invites him into the foyer while she gets her mistress.

She returns a short time later and apologizes, explaining that Eilid is not able to break free from her work at the moment but would meet with Angus as soon as she can. She also asks if Angus wishes to wait and, if so, does he want any refreshment while he waits.

"Certainly, I would appreciate some water."

Bonnie returns shortly with a pitcher of near-freezing well-water and pours Angus a goblet.

A little while later, Eilid leaves her laboratory, a young blonde girl trailing behind (whom Eilid introduces as her granddaughter Frida).

[color=brown]"What can I do for you, Angus?"

"I was thinking I should find out what duties I would have as a junior member of the covenant."

[color=brown]"As the Charter now stands, there are no specific duties particular to a junior or probationary member, although you will be asked to perform a task during your seven seasons' probationary period. You may also be asked, or volunteer, to perform other tasks for the covenant as well."

Angus pauses at this information "I see, thank you for the information." As he departs he looks a little lost. Up to now everything has been well defined- serve his master, try to sneak in some extra studying, kill his master before he stole his gift, seek asylum... now he suddenly was in charge of his own destiny. He decided to start by perusing the library...

Angus makes his way to the library (which is located on Eilean Muireach, upstairs from the Council Chambers). There he finds the head librarian, Mull, and the library staff doing their jobs.

Diana (the scribe) and Mair (the illuminator) look up from their work when the magus enters the room and watch him intently.

Angus doesn't bother anyone, he just walks the stacks noting book titles, and if there is any additional information to indicate topics on the covers.

The library staff continues looking at Angus until he passes out of sight, when he can hear quill scratching on parchment again.

As Angus browses the stacks, he sees that like tend to be shelved with like. The Rego texts are in the same place, the Corpus texts are together, and so on. The lab texts for spells are also in the same place as the books for the same Form. Some of the books are obviously much older than some of the others.

While he is browsing, Angus becomes aware of an alarmingly large presence several paces behind him. The presence clears its throat, and asks in a calm baritone, "May I help you find something? More specifically, a book, a text, or some other written source of information typically found in a covenant's library?"

"I was just browsing, planning my training regimen, but if you have a copy of the charter I could peruse..."

The large man's eyes narrow slightly, before he speaks, hesitantly.
"Ah. Welcome to the library magus. You are likely one of the new arrivals. I am Mull, and I manage the library..." He pauses and pulls briefly at his bushy beard. "I confess your request is new to me... No one has asked me to look at the charter, and I don't recall any instructions related to its accessibility. Or its whereabouts. I must unfortunately pass the request to on to Maga Eilid or Maga Boudicca, but will do so at the first opportunity. In the meantime, I would point out a summa on Perdo, written by Sirius Ater of Tytalus, and a superb text, so I'm told. One that many magi would come to study from, if they were aware of its existence here... Which I'm not sure that they do... Having only recently assumed my post. And there not having been any new magi here before the first of you arrived. And none of you being here for the sole purpose of viewing this text. Apparently."

Mull carefully steps over to the Perdo section and indicates the text he mentioned. Then he moves aside, folds one big hand over the other in front of him, and waits.

"Indeed, however, I think I might be better off starting with the Libire de Limine to start with, and move to the Unleashing the Grim later."

"Your choice entirely of course, Magus..." he trails off, hoping for a name.

"Angus. I suppose I should chose something more mystical, my gauntlet was rather... hasty and unusual."

"Pleased to meet you Magus Angus..." Deep furrows form on Mull's brow, as he looks down at the floor. Then they clear, and he looks up. "I was told once, by a wise wise man, that it's not the name that makes the man. Rather, it is the converse. Perhaps that applies your own situation. Now please excuse me. I'll go and ask about that charter."

He plods off and Angus is left on his own.

I believe this is probably sufficient prologue for Angus.

Sounds good. Mull would have gotten the okay to show Angus the charter, so he can read it in the library at his leisure.

Three xp.