The Dragon's Library

Actually, your lab total is spot on. Maurice has a Might of 25 and is Size +1, requiring a Bond Level of 30. Your CrIg Lab Total is 31. But he is a stubborn and willful beast. Conniving too.
Actually, he brought the idea up to me in the first place. He said he wanted to learn to be a magus, and I told him becoming a Familiar was as close as he could ever become, so he asked me to bring it up to you.

You should have poked me to add it to the library a long time ago then.
No matter. Peregrine, would you mind copying a Magic Theory Summa instead?

Tiana also brought along L5Q15 texts on Code of Hermes and Order of Hermes.
And Vulc brought books a Creo summa L16 Q15, and a Vim summa L10 Q16. They're both written by one of his ex-girlfriends so he wants to keep the originals, but they're queued up for copying.

I'll just put the stats into the library for now. The Philosophiae book will still be Aristotle though. It is the only historic book with stats that approach the numbers.
What are the titles of the other books and name of the author? I will enter the stats into the library on the forums (I cannot access the wiki edit at the moment, we will come up with author stats later when we do)

PB, you okay with copying a Magic Theory Summa instead?

Just to let you know, that Creo book already bumps up against "Liberi de Creatione", which is currently L15/Q9, but when the -5 damage penalty is removed (see Andorra wiki), it will be L20/Q14. Yours is L16/Q15. But that book can still be bumped up with Resonance & Clairification, the old Creo book is already maxed out, just damaged.

Just to say, we will wind up having overlapping summae. It happens, and is a good thing. We can eventually start to develop different selections for different ranks, can have multiple commentary sources, and other benefits from having an expansive collection.
So no jealousy. It is inevitable that it will happen. This isn't a personal competition.

Sure, that's fine.

I added these books to the wiki, leaving titles and authors as TBD.

Found it! The Creo and Vim texts are named "On the Origin of Origins" and "The Magical Art of Magic," both by Lissa of Criamon. I don't think I ever came up with names for Tiana's books.

Except, it looks like she needs a Lab Total of 55 to bond him (p. 104): Magic Might (25) + 25 + (Size x 5 = 1 x 5 = 5) = 55. And her Lab Total is Int 1 + Magic Theory (Ignem) 4 + Creo 10 + Ignem 11 + Aura 5 + Lab Bonus 2 (from her Excessive Heating) = 33. If she gets to include Maurice's Int 2, that bumps it up to a 35, but that's still 16 shy.

Vulcanus is willing to provide a Laboratory of Bonisagus to anyone who wants it cast. It costs 9 pawns of Terram vis; he has this on hand and could make a loan of it if necessary. It would give her a lab with +2 General Quality and +1 Creo.

Also, if she asks him nicely, he'd be willing to assist her in the lab. He has +5 Int and as of Summer 1230 he has 6 MT; with inventive genius (it's a NEW familiar, right?) he will add +14 to her lab total. He can also lend his Tireless Servant for another +1. Then she could definitely pull it off. He's pretty insufferable as a lab assistant, but as long as Vibria can tolerate his back-seat driving (not to mention the fact he'd be walking around in his skivvies due to the Excessive Heating), she could pull it off :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, you forgot to add your Ignem MT specialty.

If there are no penalties for using another magus' laboratories (and I can't find anything to indicate there is, even though it SEEMS like there should be) Vibria can use Vulc's lab, with a +4 GQ and +1 to Creo. 34 + 5 Lab + 14 assistance + 2 excessive heating (it IS a forge, after all) = 55. Bam.

I forgot about the base 25 part (d'oh!)
:mrgreen:
But juggling around, it seems you can do it. I thought you could do it and I was right.
But the question is: should you do it?
Can you handle Maurice? Can the covenant handle Maurice? Do you know why I named him Maurice? And keep in mind Maurice carries some baggage. I might have to rearrange his V&F stats, but he will have the Magical Animal Companion Flaw twice, representing his brothers. Or would Close Family Ties fit better?

Think about your choice carefully, and perhaps discuss the possibility with the troupe :slight_smile:
([size=20]but as for me, I do think the idea is wicked awesome :smiley:[/size])

I will add that to the Forums library (still can't access the edits on the wiki, but I guess fightmaster can :slight_smile: )
Tiana's Philosophiae book is "Physics" by Aristotle. It is the only book in the historical list that even comes close. The historic book is not yet translated from Greek, and is L6/Q12. The one Tiana has is translated to Latin, and was transcribed from a better edition (the one everyone is using is incomplete and they don't know it).
For the Magic Lore book, if you don't mind, I wanna invent something :smiley:

These are the books that I added...

On the Origin of Origins: Lissa of Criamon (Creo Summa, L16/Q15)
The Magical Art of Magic: Lissa of Criamon (Vim Summa, L10/Q16)
Physics: Aristotle (Philosophia Summa, L8/Q14)
De Oratore ad Quintum fratrem libri tres: Cicero (Artes Liberales Summa, L8/Q14)
History of the Order of Hermes: Arturius of Bonisagus (Order of Hermes Lore Summa, L5/Q15)

We already have a killer book on Magic Theory (L8/Q12), so Vibria copied Artes Liberales instead. Or she copied the Philosophia book and Tiana brought the Artes Liberales. Either way, it helps round out the Academic Abilities, which is what Vibria originally intended.
All good?

[color=red]"I hope he can understand that being a Familiar is nowhere near the same as being a magus. Although I would imagine it would have some benefit. He would learn how Hermetic magic works, even if he's not able to cast spells himself."

She soaks for a few minutes as she thinks. [color=red]"I will talk to him about it, see what he thinks. I should definitely get to know him better before I decide. It will likely be some time before I'm ready to bond a Familiar, anyway."

Splendid, splendid :slight_smile:
He then shapeshifts as he walks out of the boiling pool, into a large red lion.
Just as perhaps you one day, and maybe Maurice, will have to understand that being able to assume the shape of a thing is nowhere near the same as being the actual thing. Except maybe for those Barna magi of your Order. Or so they claim. He shakes his magnificent flame colored mane to dry it out. But it can be fun to pretend. And a learning experience. Wizards, such as yourself, have invented all sorts of wondrous spells to change shape. But possessing the power to just simply change shape, it has so many subtle advantages. Then he turns into a fat old lady and wraps a towel around his body.
It is a three step process. The first step you must complete on your own, and when this is done you will know when you are ready. You must learn and comprehend the wild magic of the Pyrenees. Our ancestor is the Serpent SuGarr, the Great Wyrm of the Pyrenees. These mountain peaks are his spine! Mountain Wilderness Lore of the Pyrenees, it opens you up to many paths. It is how Antonio became a spell master, and it is how Rodrigo discovered his Latent Magic and transformed it into the Gift.
But it always carries a price.
I know where to take you to find what you may seek. The spirit of the Terragon Mist, it will demand of you a sacrifice and send you on a quest. The first fruit is that you will learn to take on shapes similar to your own.[/color. He turns into a fiery wyvern, which burns away his towel :slight_smile:.
The process continues a second time, and the final fruit is learning how to take on a variety of shapes.
It is a potent tool. But I am willing to teach you how to use it, because we are family. And family shares their fortunes.
As a token of good will, grandchild, I invite you to take some jewels home with you. Take that strand of rubies you have been eyeing. And that diamond tiara too. Keep them, take a few trinkets home with you.
But you must horde them, never spend it. You may give it away, but you can trade no favor or treasure for it.
([size=10]yes, this is a test :wink:[/size])

Vibria watches intently as Sigmundo pontificates, suitably impressed by the casual ease with which he moves from one form to another.

((Does Vibria know anything of the Terragon Mist? Int 1 + Magic Lore(?) 4 + die roll of 3 = 8.))

[color=red]"Thank you, grandfather!" Vibria says with a kid-on-Christmas-morn grin her face. As she leaves, she does take the ruby necklace and diamond tiara, putting them in her room (along with another random yet magnificent piece of treasure).

After a couple of days of work, she casually "happens" across Maurice. [color=red]"Sigmundo tells me you have aspirations, cousin," she says with a smile.

Not specifically. But she does recognize what he is describing. It is similar to Forest Lore from GotF (a type of Wilderness Lore, being that of Mountain Lore affiliated with the Pyrenees.

rolling on the random yet magnificent treasure table...
1d10=9
that ring over there. It is surly your ring. Simple god band, ornate I intricate engraving. You know it has always been yours and just sitting here waiting for you, your precious...

Don't we all? :smiley:

Tiana's three summae are copied by the end of summer 1230. Vulc's Vim summa is also done in summer 1230, but the Creo summa won't be done until 1231. The five copies are the top priorities for the scribes.

W never got around to making a list. Somehow we got derailed. And I know how...
But let us leave that aside.
Vibria's turn was in Spring 1230. Who is next after her?