The expedition via castra Pisces Spring 1202

1. Gauging his speed, is there any chance of outsailing him downwind?
  2. Do I know anything about creatures like this one? Rolled Int+Magic Lore 8, assuming that spec [monsters] applies.

It appears to be some form of water elemental or genus loci of this area of the sea. If it is a water elemental it might be hungry for vis, if a Genus loci defending its territory. trying to get away from him would require shifting towards an upwind tact, not something you are likely to outrun him doing...

Hmm, I have no vis, he thinks. «Oh, Lord of Azov,» he shouts, «what are you after?»

Did I get it right that we were sailing downwind towards him, and now turned to reach? Any chance of outsailing him on reach?

How far are we from land?

[@silveroak Since he didn't have reason to go along, Xahansa is going to head to Mosul, bringing along a piece of flagstone from his lab. Looking to visit with his parens and finally join a certain tradition. I leave it to your decision whether it warrants a story or not. Travelling via flight while invisible.]

Xahansa's flight spell, from what I am reading, is duration concentration, with a concentration ability of 1, which means you will be flying in 15 minute intervals, at a speed of 40 miles an hour, so in ten mile bursts, on a journey of 540 miles, with 54 castings, presumably over 2 days. Assuming you do not cast while under stress there is no need to check for botches...however wizard's veil is also concentration, which brings up 1) concentrating on 2 spells at once and 2) the fact that you will become visible every 15 minutes. If you are maintaining another spell, you have to make a concentration roll every 2 minutes, and if this fails you will become visible and fall from the sky- if this is still something you want to try I will start an adventure because I am certain that with 405 concentration rolls for the journey there will be a story.

Out sailing the entity on reach might be possible, but highly unlikely. On the other hand the attempt will likely give you time to take other actions before it does reach you if it fails.

Sustain the Wizard's Handiwork - Maintains Conc spell for Sun duration.

Ditto for Veil.

Does Pisces require redesign?

not completely, but at this point we only really defined one out of the 5 labs- at minimum the guest labs should be designed, and it there is a lab for an apparently non existant magus, and on my side I have accounted for 3 magi (Xahansa, Abraxas, and Odysseus), but Odysseus does not have (to my knowledge) a lab, so it probably does need tweaked at least.

however we are also derailing this thread, this discussion should be on the Castra Pisces thread, this is the 1202 adventure thread for Odyseus-

Loke may have missed: Out sailing the entity on reach might be possible, but highly unlikely. On the other hand the attempt will likely give you time to take other actions before it does reach you if it fails.

Odysseus turns the ship to take the best possible advantage of the wind, and make interception as hard as possible.

Did the creature make any response to Odysseus' shouting? Is there anything else in its behaviour to judge its intention?

It did not respond to the shouting. Go ahead and make a roll on dex+sailing. An 18 will keep you out of reach, but the higher you get the better off you will be in terms of time for it to reach you.

Roll 15.

We need to settle the magic items of his before we continue the story.

Is Dex really the right characteristic for a ship manned by more than one person? It does not matter the slightest in this case though, as he has Int, Com, and Dex all at +2.

Magic items cannot be changed mid story- the changes to enchantment your character wants have the vis invested and other redcaps are looking for a verdituous and scheduling the enchantment, but the ship doesn't change capabilities mid-story.