The First Meeting (1220.1)

"How strong an Aegis do you cast?" Gavin asks. He's curious about how much vis would be used in the process.

OOC: also, what's the current date? In other words, how long before March 13th? I'm assuming that since it's Spring, we're talking a long wait.

Eilid can cast a Level 30 Aegis. The more she can get helping with Wizard's Communion, the better Penetration she can get.

And it's currently March 12, 1220.

I'm okay with waiting, but then again I already rely on my casting tools, so I wouldn't object if everyone else wants to cast one earlier.

Corvus can not aid with Wizard Communion this time. Corvus will promise to learn the spell for future castings.

What? Winter Solstice is December 20-21. Vernal (spring) Equinox is March 19-20. Summer Solstice is June 20-21 and Autumn equinox is Sept 22-23 with the dates varying within these ranges based on the year.

Wouldn't the Aegis impact her spells cast with casting tools, too?

In the Gregorian calendar, yes. They were still using the Julian calendar back then. I get my solstice and equinox dates here. (I've also found pages for phases of the moon and sunrise and sunset, although the latter one is just a ball-park figure, since it only goes back to 1900 and I have to adjust for the nearest city and shifting the date for the difference in calendars.)

It is still December, not March. Julian and Gregorian aren't that different, March would be the equinox (translates from Latin to "equal night" when day and night are both 12 hours), where December and june are Solstice (sun-still: when the sun reaches it's north-south zenith and stops moving- from the perspective of an earth bound observer, before reversing its course)

Yup, but she already needs something to cast, so if she needs another thing to cast it doesn't matter that much.

In response to Corvus Hope will add "I can help with the casting, although I only have a four person communion."

"I have no trouble keeping a casting token for nine months," Gavin replies. "But I would also be agreeable to having a new Aegis cast. I'd even be willing to contribute a vis or two to the effort if that would be helpful."

"Waiting to recast is fine. We'll probably find uses for the vis too. Seems we're mostly in agreement. "

Sorry, I misspoke. It's the day before the Spring Equinox, not Winter Solstice. The Aegis was cast on the previous Winter Solstice (only because the book says that's traditional), three months ago. The question is whether to cast a new Aegis tomorrow to include all the newcomers, or wait until the next Winter Solstice and have the newcomers use tokens until then.

IIRC, the token is symbolic. It is the permission. So there would be no problem in waiting. On the outer side, To make people feel like members and not guests who's rights could be withdrawn at anytime, a second casting is not a bad option. The covenant is not hurting for vis.

How many tokens does the covenant have in total? Will giving them to magi and familiars use up all the ones we have leaving none for guests? If so, we should definitely redo the Aegis. We really ought to have enough tokens available for future need.

(The Token is a symbol. Everyone could toss their tokens back in the bucket now with no loss in access.)

Corvus will vote to recast the Aegis. Corvus feels it is important to be wholly a part of the Covenant and not a guest for most of the year.

That was not how I understood the Aegis works. (Though I'll freely admit that I could be wrong.) Yes, there is symbolism involved. And yes, your invitation can be withdrawn even without taking back the token, But my understanding always was that you had to retain the token with you for your invitation to remain valid. (Consider it part of the symbolism.)

Is my understanding flawed? Peregrine, what's your take on Aegis tokens?

Angus shrugs "Given the amount of studying I need to do, I could give my token up until the solstice and be unaffected. I would be inclined to wait to save vis, but I also feel I should have the least voice in this, and will withdraw my vote if maintaining it results in a tie."

They made about two dozen tokens at the last casting. Which is more than is normally made, but they anticipated a need for a lot of them this year, because of the new magi coming in.

I haven't done a count, but I think we have enough for more guests in the coming year, if need be.

Giving the token is an integral part of inviting someone (or something) into the Aegis's protection, because magic. Without giving the token, the protection isn't properly extended, and the same with the ritualized invitation.

And, while you don't technically have to carry the token on you 24/7 (because I've seen some sagas that have the most ridiculous tokens), you have to know where it is. If you lose the token, you lose the protection. Likewise, if you chuck the token into the rubbish bin, you reject the protection and thus no longer have it.

Beatrix has been sitting quietly this whole time. Being a formal occasion and her first here, she came dressed well, including wearing her traditional red cap. She had already read the charter and so merely had to skim over it to be assured it was the same as she had read. She is definitely interested in the question about the type of membership and clearly pleased with the response. Her attention perks up again at mention of the ghosts, and she listens intently. She is clearly thinking while listening, too, perhaps calculating... She also appears surprised for a moment when Hope mentions her piece from the cross - definitely a rarity if she's to be believed.

At the question about the strength of the Aegis Bea slips in, [color=blue]"I will need a laboratory first in which to do my work, but if stronger is desired I brought along with me a test for a 10th-magnitude Aegis and it is a ritual I could cast. As for waiting, I am content with a token for now. Better not to use vis that might be of value elsewhere."

Boudicca scoffs. [color=red]"You are not only a magus of the Order, but a full member in good standing of the Covenant of Insula Canaria. You have as much a right to have your voice heard as any of us here."

Eilid flicks her head. [color=brown]"Impressive, that someone so young can cast such a powerful Aegis. I myself can only cast an Aegis with six magnitudes, but with everyone's help I'm almost assured of casting one that's assured of keeping Niseag out."

[hr][/hr]
On the "Should we cast a new Aegis?" question, it looks like the nays have it. I'm counting four opposed (Angus, Beatrix, Corbin, and Hope), one in favour (Corvus), one I'm not really sure (Gavin), and one we've not heard from yet (Laerleggr). Boudicca's and Eilid's votes won't make the difference.

Laerleggr states, "I'm fine with a token until the next casting. It's not like we have to tote around a severed limb, right? I've been to a covenant where they did that, believe it or not. Some place in Ireland."

When Eilid says that last bit he pipes up again, "What happens when Niseag gets in?"