The Language of Memory

If you wish to base the memory to memory knowledge exchange on Art of Memory and have it for a cabal of magi, you could do the following:

(1) Assume every member of your cabal has learned - no intiation needed - Art of Memory.
(2) The cabal's magi all have learned the ritual (TMRE p.27) Memory Palace of the Sage to store entire texts directly from a book into their memory palace.
(3) The magi all learn the spell (Sub Rosa #22 p.77 - not canonical, but IMO pretty plausible) Text Learned by Heart (CrMe30 R: Eye, D: Moon, T: Ind, Base 5, +1 Eye, +3 Moon, +1 precision), allowing each to dump a text from a locus in their own memory palace into another cabal member's episodic memory.
(4) With just a little training and experience, the recipient then can create an adequate locus for this dumped text in their own memory palace with another Memory Palace of the Sage ritual.

Occasionally there may surface rumors of cabal members, who got overwritten all their episodic memories with the Principia Hermetica and no longer know their first name, their lab and the name of their shield grog - but these just show that they were not worthy to be a member of this cabal from the beginning ... :nerd_face:

This way you do not need to create and balance special rules for learning: the memorized books in the loci have to be read just like parchment copies later. And you need no special Supernatural Abilities either.

Thanks, I didn't realize that was possible. That completely changes it all.

Hi guys, I haven't abandoned this concept yet. I've just been busy with work. I talked about this with my SG and he appreciated the feedback too. The information about the Calc rune has really got his imagination going. He missed that when he read TTT.

I was playing around with a random thought for a slightly different virtue, but I will put that into its own thread because it is nothing to do with LM.

2 Likes

Hi guys,
Sorry it took so long to get back to this topic.

The background idea behind this virtue was a small group dedicated to the preservation of knowledge. How does the world recover from a massive disaster. Maybe another biblical flood, End of Days or something from DI. Basically, how could an illiterate peasant restart civilization?

How about changing the focus of this virtue, a little in-line with the Rune? A written text that anyone can read (as if it was their native language, without knowing how to read). This would allow someone to learn to read from a text on how to read.

Like the runes, the message would 'appear' in the readers mind and allow them to study it.

It doesn't matter if the source quality is low, having texts written in LM be inferior to texts written in Latin or Greek is fine.
The basic writing rules in the core book can be used, but I would add a penalty of some type to the Quality.