The Magus' Lab

I'm not fussed if it's ruled that it needs to be recast to shift the position, or if an additional mag is needed. The spell is low enough level that it's easy to recast.

Image from the Wizard torn allows for a shifting view but that view is based upon an AC. In this case the caster doesn't need an AC as the waterway is still at touch.

Alright, some ideas for spells to protect the island. Artemis doesn't want to kill anyone if possible.

Some spells:
Unwelcoming Winds - Creo Auram 25
R: Sight D: Sun T: Ind
This spell conjures a powerful, shifting gale around a boat that is essentially impossible to sail into. The wind works to push the boat in a given direction. Trying to fight the wind is likely to result in damage to sails.
Base 3 +3 Sight +2 Sun +1 Slightly Unnatural

Ordinary Day - Rego Me 25
R: Voice D: Sun T: Ind
The target is inclined to see everything as ordinary and normal. A person who is not regularly exposed to magic will likely conclude nothing magical is going on. Even in cases where that isn't impossible they are more likely to rationalize it as something at the edge of normal. They might conclude what they saw was quite a clever mechanical device or it was just clever slight of hand and exotic powders. Someone who is well versed in the supernatural will still be inclined to see any strange going-ons as nothing to worry about. Whatever the case they are less likely to think of what happened as anything worth mentioning.
Base 5 +2 Sun +2 Voice

One item:
Normalizer - Perdo Me 30
+0 Pen, 24 Uses/Day
R: Eye D Mom T: Group
Removes a short memory, up to five minutes worth from a group of people. The time must be continuous. This works best if done shortly after the memory is formed because every time you remember something that can create another memory. In general it takes an intelligence stress roll of 9+ to realize a memory is missing, but the actual difficulty varies on circumstances. The actual memory can never be recovered, but oftentimes many details can be reconstructed from other memories. For example, they could recall telling someone about what happened and just repeat that. In many cases old memories or memories they've thought about a lot are already mostly reconstructions.
Base 10 +1 Eye +2 Group +5 levels for 24 uses/day

Also if its okay I've slightly revised Artemis's talisman. Nothing was removed.

This talisman is a composite item consisting of a Silver Collar inlaid with jewels specifically Ruby, Sapphire, Opal, Emerald, Aquamarine and Amethyst, fused to the collar are fine chains forming an Electrum Necklace, from which hangs a Jet Cross which encases a fragment of Red Coral. In the back there is a Bronze Lock where the item opens and closes. An Steel Chain is also fused to the back, with an Steel Wand at the end, almost touching the ground.

The bold was the added bit. She had really high M.T. when making it.

Item proposal:
++++ The Gloves of the Salt Monger.

These are two gloves, are fingerless and made of bronze plates and chain. Each has an Aquamarine shard contained within a plate. The idea is to move sea water into a barrel or other large container, evaporate it and repeat until you have a barrel full of salt. These are too small for most people and were designed for Artemis. It takes some finesse to do it cleanly. A lot of fog will be created too.

Glove of Fog - ReAq 15 - Unlimited uses/day, +0 Pen
R: Touch D: Mom T: Part
Turns water into a large cloud of fog. This is Rego magic, so the result is natural, but since the temperature doesn't change dew will likely start to form quickly if the fog is not dispersed. Salt and any other impurities that don't evaporate will remain. In particular salt. As much as small ponds worth of water can be evaporated in a single go. +4 Shape Bonus from Glove, +3 Bonus for Aquamarine
Base 3 +1 touch +1 part, +10 levels Unlimited uses/day

Wand of Water Displacement - ReAq (Te) 20 - Unlimited uses/day, +0 Pen
R: Touch D: Mom T: Part
The touched water displaces instantly by five paces. This enchantment has terram casting requisites built in so salt is displaced as well. +4 Shape Bonus from Glove, +3 Bonus for Aquamarine
Base 4 +1 touch +1 Part +0 Casting Requisite +10 Levels Unlimited Uses/Day

Artemis can pop both these both out in a season. Some googling, and some unit conversions later I get a ton of salt is roughly 8 pounds. In 15th century prices in one place, and I think at retail. We multiply that by some number for taxes, wholesale deductions, inflation/deflation over two centuries, figure out how much we can sell and we call it an income. Or just call it a minor income source. \

Alternatively we can use the Covenants guidelines on page 67 which would say these save us seven pounds.

I also have an argument that really we could just say that it let's a grog act as the ultimate Saltmonger and save us 20% on provisions.

Personally, I vote we save 7 pounds a year. I'm lazy.

Keep in mind that a lot of places have salt monopolies. You might have trouble selling salt in those places.

Keeping it for covenant use would certainly be okay.

There were societies which used salt as currency...

I think keeping it for covenant use to reduce expenses was the aim, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup, reducing covenant expenses. Also with that fancy Imbued with Spirit of Terram virtue, which would let me cast this wonderful spell
Dragon's Silver Coin - CrTe - 20
R: Touch D: Mom T: Ind, Ritual
Creates a massive silver coin, approximately 12 inches in diameter and weighing 65 pounds. Artemis's version has a wolf's head imprinted on one side and a wolf's tail imprinted on the other as a result of her Sigil. Its ideal for paying off dragons.
Base 15 + 1 Touch

And if I spend a season making a creo Te spell I might as well whip up this for the Redcaps.

Stone House - CrTe - 20
R: Touch D: Mom T: Ind, Ritual
Creates a largish stone house. Two stories high with a full basement and a foot print of 100 square paces, it is unfurnished. A finesse roll is needed if you want a specific floor plan. The windows have real glass!
Base 3 +1 Touch +3 Size +1 Complexity

And then I have an idea for a fancy power to add to my Talisman.
Rainmaker - ReAu - 40 +0 Pen 1 Use/Day
R: Sight D: Moon T: Group
The user takes control of a cloud or group of clouds, including potentially a ground level fog cloud. The user can gather clouds together for shade, cause them to rain, or push clouds away. Its not powerful enough to control or create a storm. If the user is benevolent its a great boon to the people living in the area and increases living conditions by one.
Base 3 +3 Sight +3 Moon +2 Group +1 Size

I'm not sure that would be a proper use of the spell. I'm aware of no other spell that achieves that result, nor any spell guideline that lists it.

This from page 40 of transforming mythic europe. Summary is that 40 levels of enchantments can improve living conditions by +1.

Alternatively this could be used as a lab item and add +2 to the lab's health. Modifying local conditions to suit someone inside may not be as helpful to people outside.

Edit: using phone do sorry about terseness

Oh, that's right. I wasn't thinking of that.

Are you really sure you want to impose that kind of Warping on all of the covenant, though? Will the magi agree to be Warped like that?

The targets are clouds though. I think one of the paragraphs a bit past that has the example of making a castle temperate which might warp the castle but not the people.

This just targets clouds. Maybe we'll invent pollution.

Magi in particular couldn't get warped since the enchantment lacks any pen.

Again using phone.

Unless the people are the targets it shouldn't warp them. For example, CrIg to raise the temperature in winter does not affect people. In thi case it would be the clouds? Air? that are subject to warping... not sure what the effects of a warped cloud would be, and since clouds generally don't even last a year, I'm not sure it would matter. It would be like having a massive animal affect on mayflies...

Good point. What I'd probably do is Warp the general weather around the area over time. Since the 'sky' would be the target for the spell (or wherever 'weather' sits), you'd have a severely Warped sky. this would no doubt result in unusual weather patterns in the future as the local weather became Warped.

I approve. For Science! If the Council doesn't approve I can always slap something in the familiar bond.

Sounds interesting, and it's very much something a Magus would do. Knock yourself out!

Alright then! I've updated the magi planner for Artemis and Phobia and I think I should show my work for the lab totals:

First off with 5 aura, 21 M.T. +2 Int for Artemis, and 17 Magic Theory, an assistance specialty, and +2 int for Phobia, we get a total of 48 before we add other bonuses.

That means her CrAu total is 81, more than enough to create the Unwelcoming Winds spell in a single season.
Her CrTe total is also 84, a wee bit more than enough to make Dragon's Silver Coin and Stone House in a single season.
Her CrVi (Au) total is 81. With automatic vis extraction from Philosophic Alchemy, that makes four pawns of Form vis. If it matters she'll try and use a wand for the shape bonus. Control things at a distance could be a Au effect.
her ReAu total is a mere 64, but for investing into her Talisman she gets some extra bonuses. She gets +5 for it being the talisman, and she could claim some shape bonuses, but its not enough to get it done in one season.

not certain where else to put this:
Feeding the Font of Artemis Woods: 1D10+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Winter 1221 raises the aura of Artemis woods by 1 "permenantly"

Meliai will develop in summer 122 Untieing the unruly tongues:- raise a com score by 1, to a maximum of 0, range:touch (+1), target:circle, duration:mom(ritual)- CrMe:35

This will be followed by casting the spell 3 times for Ook and anyone else with a low com we can fit in the circle...