The New Saga: Tribunal & Gauntlet Ideas

Well, by any name, I like the image of a Redcap with teeth rather than a buddhist dogsbody.

I was thinking about apprentice Gauntlets and how they've evolved in our game over time. In our campaign there are a lot of social customs that aren't derived from offical rules, but make sense in terms of how people act.

The game discusses that in some kind of ceremony the apprentice is sworn in and given a new name, typically picked by the magus. In our campaign it's about 50/50 on the who names the magi. Sometimes it's the Master, sometimes the Master accepts the name the apprentice wants. I've also noticed that after 15 years of apprenticeship, many people still call the new magus by his apprentice name long after he's gauntleted. That is Lazarus Lee is often still called Erdrick, his birth name.

Another thing I've noticed is the swearing in process typically occurs as a party of somekind. At this party, magi gather and shmooze. The magi that gather may be magi of the same lineage Pater and students Pater's Pater's and students, members of a mystery cult, covenant magi, junior apprentices, valued custos.

This celebration, like a christening or birthday party, often involves gifts. Some of these gifts may put the newbie magus in the debt of another magus, some of the presents go to the PATER rather than the man of the hour. The entire party becomes an excuse to do business while eating and drinking. "Congradulations, here's a little something. Remember me."

I don't know if anyone has put that sort of effort into their gauntlets, but it's story stuff I wanted to toss out there for people to think about.