I've been pondering an Ars Modernity type setup, not really to play but just as a mental exercise and for my own pleasure.
Assuming the order survives into the 20th century, what changes would you imagine to the system of magic it practices, the environment it practices them in and so on.
My thoughts so far
- Magic auras are very much harder to find due to the expansion of homo sapiens
- Faeries are still plentiful but very different, changing as humanities stories change
- Certain mystery virtues will have become integrated into vanilla hermetic magic, maybe the earlier virtues are quite common now
- there would have to be some changes in the forms, either expanding them to include scientific discoveries or new forms created to handle things like electricity (NOT lightning), radiation, quantum mechanics, etc. Its entirely possible that the magic to effect these things comes centuries after the scientific discover, or even not at all
- Vis might be much rarer with the scarcity of magic auras and magical beasties
- alternatives to convential vis harvesting, such as the magic garden in legends of hermes, high magic auras in well guarded regios or even breakthroughs to reduce the vis required to make magic items (e.g. celestial magic, philosophic alchemy, etc)
- Reduce seasonal activities to monthly, to enable play that does not rapidly end up in the far future. This could also be reflective of the order streamlining and improving their processes over 800 years.
- not sure what to do about divine and infernal stuff since i've not used them greatly in my games any way. I like the idea of rationalism/humanism making BOTH much weaker. But not in a competing aura kind of way, more just like generally higher levels of a-religiousity tends to weaken both realms locally.
- If the lunar limit has been breached, its possible magi are already off world, but using extensive imaginem to stop their sanctums being found by NASA.
- On breaching limits, maybe some have been breached. Breaching a lesser limit or two doesn't seem impossible with 800 years of bonisagus going at it. How about a major limit and if so, which one?